Has anyone ever seen a laptop cooler that did anything?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by jaxor24, Jun 25, 2009.

1. jaxor24

jaxor24 Member

I've been reading laptop cooler reviews around the net and consistently they either make no temperature difference or a difference of at most 3-4 degrees.

I don't understand how this market works. They do nothing and there are hundreds of them. Who is buying these?

2. Gierke

Gierke Member

Imo get a piece of wood or a larger battery that lifts the rear of the laptop up - it's probably going to give you as much benefit as a cooler.

3. doug81

doug81 Member

I bought one. Will not waste my money again.

4. bennyg

bennyg Member

Well that fifteen bucks was well spent as it means I can comfortably sit my lappy on my lap or anywhere else, without having to worry about airflow, or heating whatever it's sitting on.

Yeah the fans went after three months (being cheap chinese plastic POS) but just having the fan hole directly under where the lappy sucks it up does lower temps by improving airflow irrespective of what it's on.

HDD and battery are cooler by 5 deg or so when on cooler.

However the marketing wankery trying to get you buying something more expensive (hundred bux lol) is where it's not worth it.

5. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I think they'd offer benefits when compared to putting the laptop on something soft (so the feet sink in and the fan inlet gets blocked by the surface). I just use a cutting board; it's just the right size for my laptop and it's thin enough to put in the pouch in the laptop bag.

If you always use your laptop on a desk, forget it. If the laptop can't keep itself cool on a hard surface without help, it's faulty.

6. massiveoni

massiveoni Member

i am going to try and make one out of plexiglass, and just put 2 big fans in it,
    i will be taking photos of my project, and be doing before and after benchmarks.