Has anyone picked up an ATV3 yet?

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by ddk, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

Just curious. The only reason I didn't get an ATV2 was because it wouldn't play 1080p. Now that the new model can, I'm regretting getting my WDTV Live. It's an utter piece of shit. But at the same time, justifying $138 ($109 for the ATV3 and $29 for aTV Flash Black) when I probably won't even be able to sell the WDTV at all, is a bit of a hard sell.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has picked one of these babies up yet and if they have, whether or not they think it's worth ditching my shitty WDTV Live for?

2. MatterHorn

MatterHorn Member

I bought one on day of release. Not sure why exactly, I want to jailbreak it but it'll probably be weeks/months before a jailbreak will come out :lol:

3. R31

R31 Member

I picked one up yesterday to replace my busted ATV1.
    The update to the software is pretty nice, and airplay mirroring is awesome also.

As MatterHorn said though, until the JB is released it's kinda useless as a media device.
    Also, if you are happy to use XBMC, you don't have to pay the $29 for aTV Flash. I am interested in trying it though, to see how it compares to the XBMC experience on the ATV.

I have never used a WDTV, so I can't compare it to the ATV experience unfortunately.

4. OP
    OP
    ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

I can't network it properly because of a lack of an update from WD and the work-around occasionally stops working for no apparent reason and the only way to fix it is to wipe the storage drive and then upload everything back to it through a slow as shit ethernet connection. Also, it has problems (again because of a lack of an update from WD) with certain audio formats.

So... pretty much ANY other device is better than it.

5. Statts

Statts RIP

Wait for the JB to be released then pick one up, slap XBMC on it. You won't regret it. I used to swear by modded WDTV's until I grabbed an ATV2 for the bedroom. Best decision ever.

6. Finner

Finner Member

I too am keen on one of these to stick XBMC on, but I'm not sure whether to go with the ATV3, or just get an ATV2, as it's come down a bit in price with the release of the ATV3.

While i'd love the 1080p support, a JB could be a while away, and I don't seem to watch much HD stuff anyway. Do you think it's worth the wait..?

7. Raykay

Raykay Member

I'd say grab the 3, there might be a few hidden improvements in there, plus I think it's an excellent price too. I think the ATV3 justifies the price difference personally, I've not owned the previous one but I've used it.