Hatchling beardie (updated!!)

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by _Raz_, Oct 12, 2006.

1. _Raz_

_Raz_ Member

One baby eastern beardie hatched this morning (started last night I think)

I am so excited! I can't wait to see if most of the eggs hatch, there are about 26-27 others that are due to hatch.

Here are some pics of the cute little thing:

It's a bit cranky with me here:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D :D :D

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  2. aussie7

aussie7 Member

Wow how cute and you've got 26-27 more on the way :)

What are you going to do with them all :confused:

3. OP
    OP
    _Raz_

_Raz_ Member

haha... yeah there's also another 25 or so due to hatch in another month...

I just found 6 more eggs in my beardies enclosure too :( too late for them though...

I will be selling them when they are old enough, we have lots of baby roaches that we have bred to feed them, they are little pigs and eat a lot, so if I were to buy the food it will cost a fortune to feed them all.

I don't think all of them will hatch... hopefully most will though...

No sign of any more babies yet, hopefully later today I will see some heads sticking out.. I will take some more pics if more arive...

Hmmmm now I have to decide if I was to keep 1 or two, or not :lol:

I already have 5 lizards, 2 adult males and 1 female, and 2 smaller ones which I think might be males, so I may need to sell them off as males need seperare enclosures as they fight each other when they are older. I don't really have much luck with getting females! :thumbdn:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  4. aussie7

aussie7 Member

Is the sex determined by the temperature of the eggs or something :confused:

5. scon

scon Member

What sorta price does a bearded dragon go for? I'd certainly be interested.

6. OP
    OP
    _Raz_

_Raz_ Member

I am not sure about that...

This is my first ever hatchling from my first clutch that I have bred... The others I bought from other people... You can't tell the sex until they are older.. I just have bad luck I think! :lol:

Around $50

The enclosure is where you spend the most $$$

You can always make one yourself though, or modify some furniture...

7. lethoso

lethoso Member

baby beardies are just about the cutest things ever. About 10-15 years ago we used to get a batch that hatched somewhere in my garden every year (never quite figured out where they nested). They used to climb on the fence and sun themselves, and they were nice and easy to catch.

Plus, the best thing was they'd eat anything you fed them. Grasshoppers, other smaller lizards, all sorts. That was something really cool for a little kid, even if it wasn't always the best of ideas.

Saddest time was when I found a little one with a broken back :(

Do the eggs need any special conditions? I know the skinks we have around here just lay their eggs under bricks, and they stay pretty cold really.

anyway, sorry for rambling, but that's awesome :)

8. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

So long as the temp doesn't get above 32-33 , 30-31 is optimal form a time perspective. Also just have to makes sure the dirt is moist but not to wet.

9. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

Dunno about bearded dragons, but crocs sex is affected by temp. From Wiki:

10. lethoso

lethoso Member

Hm, if other reptiles are similar, I guess that might explain why some reptiles are parthenogenic.

11. OP
    OP
    _Raz_

_Raz_ Member

update: after all the lizards started to hatch there was an urgent scramble to move the esky incubator from testing into production as our current incubator was a make shift enclosure.

[​IMG]
    (this is the old incubator with no egg containers in it)

this incubator was very poor as the heat lamp really dried out the eggs and there was a very large differential in temp from one end to the other. It was also very hard to regulate the temp in it, at night it would go down as low as 22c and at one time we found it as high as 33c!. (more then enough to kill the eggs) This wasn't helped by the use of a very basic thermostat that just cut on and off at defined temperatures.

looking at the faults of this incubator the eskybator was born.

To begin with instead of using a 40w heat lamp we used a 44w heat cord run along the bottom and sides of they esky.

[​IMG]

next i placed old egg cartons on the bottom so the containers that have the eggs in them will be as close to the center of the esky as possible.

[​IMG]

I then placed bottles of water at either end of the egg cartons, this is to help with keeping the temperature constant (i forgot to take pics of this)

I then hooked up a new thermostat one that adjusts current so it can maintain a temperature as supposed to shutting off once it reaches a temperature. I also placed in two thermometer probes one in the center and one in a top corner. After a few days of testing the temperature differential from end to end of the esky never gets above 0.5 of a degree and the temp is being maintained between 29.6 and 30.4 degrees.

[​IMG]

All that was left to do was to transfer the eggs to the new incubator

[​IMG]

12. blancmange

blancmange Member

nice work... that has turned out really well mate :) i like the genious idea of using an esky and heat cord :D

13. scon

scon Member

Awesome... You're going to have a whole lotta little beardies running round... what sorta survival rate do you expect... see if you can get pics of one hatching for us!

14. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

we have been trying to get pics of one with its head half out but we wake up in the morning and they are already out of there eggs. as for survival rate, in the old incubator we had 4 eggs die on us taking us from 53 eggs to 49, i would expect the rest to hatch.

15. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

After reading all this and thinking how cool it all is, im still distracted by the fact you are only wearing a towel in one of the photos :p

Always be cautious when taking photos of reflective materials ;)

16. AzonIc

AzonIc Member

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

My eyes! Ze goggles do nothing!

17. scon

scon Member

Images of Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct come to mind.

18. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Why of why did I scroll up to 'check' ?!?! haha

Cool pets though. Once they are slightly bigger what kidna environment dot hey live in? Fishtank type setup?

And if you aren't keen on breeding cockroaches, can you feed them something a little more girlfriend friendly?

19. purple_jeep

purple_jeep Member

Lol I've looked at the photo's so many times and untill u said that i didn't notice!!

Chris

20. OP
    OP
    _Raz_

_Raz_ Member

:lol:

I said the same thing :lol:

I was wondering if anyone would notice that... I noticed it straight away when my bf posted it (while forgetting to log out of my account) that is itsmydamnation :lol:

I am female, you would see a lot more if I just had a towel around my waist!