Hater's blogging journey

Discussion in 'Live Streaming & Content Creation' started by Hater, Feb 6, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

Mmm. It's a very true thing.

Here's a video from a fortnight ago with similar speed:

I guess... talking quickly... is good for engagement but... not if you're trying to concentrate... with throw away info it's probably a lot less important than with stuff you're trying to follow

This is hard, heh. If I talk too slowly I get bored, if I get bored the video gets canned... but it's also hard to judge because... I understand all of the stuff I say because i'm the one saying it...

Trying to third party yourself is hard!

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Do you have a person you can guinea pig? Somebody who does not know the topic so isn't just following you because they are really just following themselves? Do it at the same speed and see whether they go "stop. go back. what?' Slow it down enough that they aren't interrupting you all the time to stop and repeat, just occasionally, and just when you are explaining something they don't get.
    You're right. Editorials can be sped up, explanatory stuff not so much.

3. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

Pretty lame Milhouse, preeeeety lame.

Heh. I still love it though.

4. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Have you thought about streaming/vlogging on twitch or youtube?

5. Tinian

Tinian Member

What camera do you use on your helmet and has it added much noise?

6. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

I have not

I wouldn't even know what to stream, 99.9% of riding would be very boring to watch "here is a road" "here is a traffic light"

It's a Sony FDR-X3000

The Bell Bullit is sooo amazingly noisy that any noise the camera adds would be a drop in the ocean. I used to use a GoPro and even that, although the form factor isn't good for side-mounting due to frontal area didn't really make a difference

With the GoPro you could feel the drag at >120km/h, not with the Sony though so I guess that would be a difference in noise too...

Tinian likes this.
  7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Watch some similar examples on YouTube. Talk about your bike, the place you're riding through, chat up some locals and birds to make it more entertaining.

8. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

Hmm. Could work.

Would need an Android phone of some sort I assume, I don't think I can plug my microphone into my iPhone...

Then need a way to making the camera image turn up on the device to make the Twitch app on the phone be able to transmit the video

And then upgrade my phone plan so it's more than 500mb data allowance a month :lol:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

missingo95 likes this.
  10. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

Fuck, this was funny. Nice VL turbo at 4.19 and Chaser at 4.21. Two cars which I've had and now are gone...dearly miss them. Would scare me to death riding a bike at that speed but. You motorcyclists are really ballsy, hats off to you for that.

11. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

Cheers man :) Yeah, it was weird that charity cruise. Some really nice cars. Some other... not so nice cars heh. There was a tri5 Chev on slicks and a drag chassis/cuite and all sorts of things cruising around... not in my video but in event photos...

Today's video is all about cars and coffee. I bought myself a DJI Osmo Pocket and I really need to learn how to use it. It has so much potential. It's also hard when you're at an event because there are so many people out and about and not all of the space in the world etc...

SSJ4 likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

Beach run!

This is the first video I’ve kind of decided to take more seriously with the editing and such... I really need to start storyboarding and making a story so I know what to take video with I think. All the editing in the world can’t save bad content filming... :)

SSJ4 and sammy_b0i like this.
  13. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Good stuff mate. You're right about telling a story. It keeps people engaged and interested in you and the journey. Keep that motivation to improve it'll pay off.

What are you editing it btw? sorry if you have answered this a bunch of times already.

14. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

That's the big thing isn't it... even the most polished video producers in the world started somewhere... I like YouTube, it kind of shows your growth over days rather than months. In the early days, how many videos were cut a month? Maybe 1 if you were really lucky? I have a project in mind with a friend of mine for which i'm trying to git gud before I venture down that path. It's going to be cool if I can pull it off...

I edit with the Final Cut/Motion/Compressor bundle.

FIREWIRE1394, here's the not-so-drunken but Go-Karts video

15. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

If I could provide some feedback. I'd some some pre and post commentary with you talking to the camera. Doesnt have to be much. Just enough to feel connected to you and set up the scene a little bit.

I've editing alot of videos. I have over 100 on youtube and more that arent. I am still a novice. But my approach is to learn little tricks once at a time. You dont need to be a god in a week. learn something new and implement it into your "tool kit" of skills. After a while you will have a bunch of things in your disposal.

I also dont like to dwelll on one video for too long. I prefer to move onto the next time. Which doesnt work for everyone, but sometimes over editting stops you from progressing.

16. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

This thread is mainly for feedback :) I want all of it, and definitely not only the good stuff... that's boring.

I'm not very comfortable putting my face on camera... so i'm starting to do that yes, but only small parts at the moment. As time progressed and I get more comfortable there will be more...

Being fundamentally a computer nerd, the editing parts i'm pretty comfortable with... i'm not a god, but just like you said then i'm comfortable with trying new things, a little bit a little bit a little bit yep. I really want to get better at Motion though for titles etc... that shouldn't be too hard though, I just need more time and practice. New implementations... but My biggest hurdle at the moment is filming... I am trying to play with colours and stuff like that... but also the story part of it as you said. That's the difference (in my mind) between a video and a good video, a good video should make the viewer feel connected to what's being told, not just "this guy is go karting, yep"

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

Information, always information. If I'm watching, I want to know where the place is, what's there, if you recommend it, what the karts are like, how hard they are to drive, whether you can take little kids, if it's expensive, how long you've been karting and whether you are any good at it. Tell us stuff. People who don't care/already know can disregard it, others might learn something interesting.
    With your bike videos, I want to know where you're going, how far away, which direction, what's there, what those bikes you are showing are, blah blah.
    Have you ever seen the movie "how to marry a millionaire"? There's a scene where Marilyn Monroe says "tell me more, tell me anything"

18. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

Hmm.

The issue I have with such things is that I don't even consider such things :D I'm not trying to make review videos as such, but I guess I can work out a way to work that information in without making the video seem like a... review I suppose

Man, i'm going to have to REALLY up my game with planning things out and how to work stuff in and linking scenes and stuff!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  19. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Something that might help is to story board it a little on some scrap paper. Some times it feels like videos edit themselves. Others youve just got a bucket of footage that you are apple bobbing into hoping a decent video comes out of it.

20. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

Yeah that's a good analogy really. There's always going to be an element of bobbing for apples though, because it's impossible to script a video that is a depiction of what happened live!