Havabeer's new Lian Li O11D-XL WC build

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by havabeer, Dec 29, 2020.

1. havabeer

havabeer Member

Hi Everyone.

the upgrade bug got me. So I'm building a new system to replace my current one. I'm still in the ordering phase for most of it so will have to update as we go. The only things carrying over from my current (in sig) build will be one of the SSD's and the PSU.

specs (so far)
    MOBO - Asus Maximus XII Hero
    CPU - 10900K
    RAM 16gb Gskill royal 4800
    SSD - 1TB Samsung 860 EVO

to buy:
    Lian li O11D XL
    Lian li O11d XL distro plate
    Lian li O11D XL vertical GPU mount and riser kit
    CPU block - Most likely EK velocity
    Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD (game drive)
    Samsung 970 EVO plus NVME 1TB (windows drive)
    EK SE 360 RAD
    EK PE 360 RAD
    Cryorig Crona X ARGB 120mm Fans x7 (6 rad 1 exhaust)
    16mm tube + barrow fittings
    cable mod kit most likely

GPU???? - currently have 2 titan XP's but would its time to upgrade to something in the 3080 area. These already have water blocks on them so I can carry one over till the 3000 series mania dies down a bit.

I really do like the look of the O11D XL case, and with the distro plate it just looks clean.
    still tossing up between white or black. I think i'll go the white purely because I will probably end up with orange coolant and I really think it'll pop compared to the black.

So stay tuned as I do a bunch of overtime shifts to try and pay for all this.

just a couple of internet pics of the case and what some people do with it build wise as it seems to be a pretty popular case.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

vuu, thecondor, Skramit and 1 other person like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

place holder 1

3. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

place holder 2

4. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

place holder 3

5. Skramit

Skramit Member

Subscribed.

6. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

well orders place:
    First lot was from PCCASE gear, they where the only ones that basically had EVERYTHING I wanted in stock. so some prices where less, some prices where more but it balances out slightly by not paying multiple postages. Not sure how long it'll take with all the COVID delays

[​IMG]

next up was tech2nv on ebay. went with barrow gear, i have a bunch of it in my current rig so happy to use it again.

Barrow PC Water Liquid Cooling Hard Rigid Tube Bending Silicone Cord Rod Insert $11
    Barrow water cooling hard Acrylic PMMA PETG Tube Bending Mould Mandrel Kit Jig $16
    5 Pack Barrow 500mm PETG 14mm Hard Rigid Clear Tube Tubing $30
    Barrow PC Water Cooling G1/4 Minor adjustment Rotary Male to Male 9mm Extender $15
    Barrowch Water Cooling 4 Pack 14mm OD Premium Hard Tube compression Fitting x16 $152

i really like the look of the newer barrowCH fittings, clean and simple

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also just bought some orange paracord from America. going to have an attempt at sleeving my own cables. I've had a spare set of red cables for my ax1200 laying around for ages, figure it shouldn't be too hard to pop out the connectors and re sleeve them.

the sleeving over here was just too expensive. one place wanted $4.50 a meter, where i can get some stuff from America for 0.41c with $14 shipping, who knows how long that will take to turn up.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Skramit likes this.
  7. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Wouldn't it have been easier to get a 2tb WD or Samsung sata m.2 drive? That's what I did for my system to reduce the amount of cable mess.

8. asho444

asho444 Member

Also paracord is super cheap and easy to use!

9. boneburner

boneburner Member

I think they also changed the ROG label on the side glass from etched to removeable sticker - coz quite frankly its an awful bit of pointless labeling that should never have gone ahead to begin with.

10. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

My plan is to use the m2 970 as my windows and file copying/editing drive and the 2tb as my game drive.

Its wierd but i like to be able to just dump stuff on the desktop and i dont know why but i hate uninstalling games, but I've already filled my current 1tb samsung 860 so bigger drive it is.

I currently have a 1.5tb HD as long term misc storage. Im sick waiting that 2.5 seconds for it to spin up.

So in this build i will have:
    1tb 970 nvme - windows, video editing day to day dumping
    2tb 860 sata - games
    1tb 860 sata - long term misc storage

I think the case does a pretty good job of shoving all the cables away but we will wait and see.

But how will people know im in the super exclusive league that is the "republic of gamers" if i peel it off??? :rolleyes:

thecondor, macktheknife and Skramit like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

So some parts have started to roll in, thanks to scum i've got the new mobo, CPU and the shinest ram ever. Not sure how the ram will go aesthetics wise with the build with its bling, at least it should match in with the shiny silver water cooling fittings and maybe pretend the blingy diamonds are actual ice to go with the white?? (i'm clutching at straws here)

hopefully PC case gear can send out the rest of the stuff this week as well, and the water cooling stuff is on way. so hopefully next week (most likely week after) i can start putting a good chunk of it all together

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AdamMB23 and Skramit like this.
  12. Elmf

Elmf Member

Going to be an awesome rig...and expensive :p

13. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

Yep.

Got the email notification, everything is on its way for pc case gear. Have the (hopefully) all the water cooling bits.

Will get some build pics together once it all arrives

Forgot to say that i got the gpu sorted. Its surprising how big these cards actually are
    [​IMG]

AdamMB23 likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

Pretty all my bits have turned up.

Will have to do a big unboxing when i get home :D

15. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

The typical "gangs all here" photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

Starting the assembly. I've realised ive missed a few bits, with only 2 rgb headers on the mobo i'll need one for all the fans, i will also need to split off the other for the distro plate, cpu and gpu blocks.

[​IMG]

Also somewhere along the lines i apparently forgot to add my vertical gpu bracket to my order. I've also realised just how many bits from my current rig im going to need to help line everything up for final assembly.

Kitty came to help
    [​IMG]

Dat peely peely feely
    [​IMG]

terrabyte, mad_mic3 and McRutch like this.
  17. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

looking good:)

18. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

First bend done. This helps to finally lock in the distro block, exact, final position tk try and keep all the runs horizontal.

[​IMG]

This is my first time working with PETG tube. Have to admit its alot nicer to work with then with the acrylic, all you need is two tools, a normal metal pipe cutter and a step drill.

The 10mm step drill is great for clearing the internals of the cut, and the pipe cutter leavers a nice edge so you dont need to sand anything.

[​IMG]

The new barrow fittings are nice as well. There much more like the new poly pipe "shark bite" fittings. it basically has spring loaded wedges/teeth so as you try pull thr tube out it actually grips harder. The only bit i dont like is the single o-ring which is quite deep in the fitting. Meaning your measurements have to be pretty close to reach the o-ring but there isnt much room past that.

To release the pipe you just push the locking ring down which releases the teeth.

[​IMG]

And there's this pile of spaghetti mess to deal with.

[​IMG]

AdamMB23 and terrabyte like this.
  19. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

Looking awesome!

20. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

Another bit of tube bending tonight.

Im pretty sure ive made the rookie error and have not bought enough tube, i may just jag it but i dont think i will.

Had a slight issue with the bottom rad and trying to get the tubing to fit. Theres just not enough flex to get the bits together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As luck would have it, if you take the bottom dust filter off you actually have access to 4 of the radiator hold down screws.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This allows you to shimmy the rad to the side and get to tubes in place and then shove them in. I should be able to do the same for the top rad. Originally i thought i was going to have to move the distro plate around so this is a much better option.

[​IMG]

Slow progress, but getting there
    [​IMG]

mad_mic3 likes this.