Havabeer's new Lian Li O11D-XL WC build

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by havabeer, Dec 29, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

Vertical mount turned up.
    [​IMG]

Had a bit of a play around with the gpu position, settled with with tubes going behind the card. Sucks as im 75mm short of tube so i have to order another packet of tubing, along with another extender for the rear of the gpu.

I probably could have bodged it up with some of the fittings i have, but in for a penny in for a pound, might as well get it properly neat and tidy

[​IMG]

By a distro block they said, everything lines up they said. :lol: :lol: Nothing a 30degree fitting cant fix.
    [​IMG]

Scum, Bolter01 and Skramit like this.
  2. azz

azz Member

Looking great man. The white case should look nice with some tasteful RGB.

A dual rotary fitting coming from the GPU should help you line up that offset tube.

Couple of things I learnt the hard way...I have an X570 Tomahawk so could be different but worth checking for your board.

2 sticks of RAM need to populate slot 2 and 4
    You will need to boot into BIOS without the vertical GPU mount first to change the PCIE slots to GEN3 - the PCIE cable does not support GEN4.
    The glass panels rattled...fixed by 1-3 strips of electrical tape on the inside edges.
    My ROG label was not a simple sticker, it was like silver paint - scraped off easily enough with a razer blade then cleaned up with paper towel and whatever cleaner you want.
    The little board with the PCIE slot on the vertical mount was caving in for me, so I glued a small screw under it near the right hold down screw to add support. Could probably use something under the full length of the board to be honest. I don't think the vertical bracket is that well designed for $100 to be honest.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  3. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

Thanks for the heads up about those issues.

Im considering asking someone with a 3d printer to make me up a small stand to go in the rear corner of the vertical bracket. I can see the size and weight of the 3080 and block causing some sagging later on. Didnt even think about that little board.

Now just hoping my orange sleeving turns up soon so i can get onto that.

4. Bolter01

Bolter01 Member

Looks good hava, there are some offsets which may do the trick..?

DSC_0477.JPG

5. Xenomorph

Xenomorph Member

That's a good idea loosening the rads to fit the tubing.
    Gave it a try on my case yesterday and definately helped a bit.
    I always buy about double the tubing i need to allow for bends that don't quite work or cutting too short. The only downside to hard tube is you only get one shot to cut/bend it the right amount.

Looking good so far.
    Havent't seen frameless fans like those for a long time, nice asethetic.

6. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

another update.

so the whole lot is mostly assembled and leak tested with not 1 drip.

now the big issue, the coolant colour. Initially I was hoping to have a nice bright orange colour. instead I've ended up with more of brown/golden yellow colour. I'm honestly half tempted to paint the case green, put a brown tint on the glass and slap a big VB label on the front :lol::lol:.

[​IMG][/url]

[​IMG][/url]

[​IMG]

with the lights set to an "orange" colour it doesn't exactly look spectacular.

[​IMG]

so I'm probably just going to drain the LOOP. refill with just clear water (and get some liquid utopia) and play around with some of the lighting and themes etc till I find something I like, or just keep the RGB unicorn vomit. So I don't really have a need for the orange cable sleeving. I think I will still end up doing some custom cables but probably just black. I do have a set of red sleeved cables for my PSU so I can also look at just using them how ever I'm not sure if I want a red/black & white theme. I kind of wish cable combs for un sleeved cable was more of thing. the only ones I can find are a china import.

another complaint I have is that the GPU water block doesn't have an LED more towards the front. I guess most people have them horizontal and so lighting up the plexi at the back and logo on ports is probably enough, but its actually really dark and not light up well at all.

[​IMG]

but other then colour selecting the actual computer is up and running with windows etc. eventually i'll get around to installing some games, doing some benching and actually finishing everything off.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Skramit, Agg, Scum and 5 others like this.
  7. Elmf

Elmf Member

Looks amazing mate, really high end!

8. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Looks brilliant.
    Kitty looks like is pissed though LOL.

9. connico

connico Member

Nice build. That GPU needs some led lol. Just have to retrofit something lol

10. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

thanks for the comments guys.

Haven't updated this in a while but there was some issues:

the replacement corsair 1500w PSU i got mid last year i'm pretty sure has turned out to be a dud, would just randomly shut off and then fail the self. only after unplugging everything and turning it off and back on could i get it to work again. I assumed this problems was something to do with the old mobo setup i had from when my water cooling setup squirted straight into the psu causing it to go pop as per this thread:
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/pump-died-boiled-popped-off-fitting-killed-psu.1283356/

but as the issue has carried over to this build and as the only parts that carried over are one SSD and the PSU its safe to say the PSU was probably the culprit.

so sent it back to amazonAU for an RMA and they are now saying they can't supply me with another one and are offering a full refund. So now I need to get another PSU.

have bought and RGB strip to sit in the verticle GPU mount to hopefully light it up.

but since the last few photo's i've actually drained the looped and just put distilled water in there, something about the orange just didn't look right. I did have some red sleeved cables and put a couple of those in and with white LED's it actually looks pretty good. So i've bought a few more extenions and the LED strip mentioned above and will give the black, white and a few hints of red a go. But i think i'll end up with red dye in the loop. Once i get the new PSU will have to get a few pics of it finally finished (hopefully)

Can you still buy liquid utopia anywhere?

mixsetup likes this.
  11. connico

connico Member

Amazon have a couple of bottles... still anything will do they are all much the same

12. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

So getting very close to being done.

Ended up buying an asus 850w thor psu as a replacement for the corsair which amazon said was dodgy but couldn't supply a replacement of the same model. The thor has a little screen on the side that tells you how much power is being drawn, haven't really see it go much over 600w. its a bit of a nothing feature though considering its shoved away at the back of the case covered in poor cable management.

So far everything is working fine, no restarts or shut off like i was experiencing before. Runs benchmarks fine so fairly safe to say all my issues where caused by a dicky PSU.

Not sure if the CPU mount is ok or still getting some big air locks but the poor CPU is doing 100 degrees during stess tests and simmers down to mid 90's. This was during the cpu test on timespy but during gaming it'll sit around 50 - 60 degrees. This is with no OC just the standard intel boost settings in the BIOS. instantly shooting to 100oC seems WAY too high. so yeah will have to keep trying to do the bleeding as I really dont want to have to tear it all down again to try and re-seat the CPU. you can see all the little air bubbles in the CPU block at the moment so might be a fair bit of tilting and shaking to happen yet.

[​IMG][/url]

I also have an issue where one of the fan controllers doesn't seem to working anymore and getting some blinking LED's on the fans. I regret giving the cryorig fans ago, should have just gone with proper brand name ones and try and avoid anything that has its own controller. So these will be going back on warranty.

theme wise, definitely ditching the gold/orange idea. I actually really like the white, black and a few hints of red throughout. I'm tempted to put some red dye it, but putting it in and not liking it will be a pain to drain. I may time it that i put some in if i decide to strip it down to re-seat the CPU. If i have to drain and re-fill for that i might as well see what the red would like. I also added a little RGB strip inside the vertical mount. while not perfect it really does seem to light up the GPU just that little bit more to show it off a bit. I also realised you can take the vertical GPU slot cover and put in underneath the distro plate to fill in the gap and it matches in quite well. helps hide the cables etc that are behind there and not leave a weird gap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so still to go:
    • replace fans which may change the look of the case a bit
    • replace the old logitech 5.1 speakers with something nicer
    • try and bleed the loop
    • bench marks
    • are a little prop or two under the vertical bracket to stop it sagging
    • add a red decal or something around the GPU area to help tie it together with the theme
    • possibly put some red dye in the loop
    • update my signature specs
    • take some non potato camera that are less grainy photos

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  13. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Not sure if it's been mentioned but some tips re bleeding; Try turning pump up to 100% then moving the case around a little i.e. pivot it in different directions for a while. Between that and the pump speed it tends to get all the air bubbles out and into one spot...Usually with a regular pump/res combo unit it'll sit in the top of the res and you can then just fill up more or leave as is...It looks like youv'e only got a distro plate/pump combo(?) so you'll want it to all pool in there then you can fill up a bit more.

14. connico

connico Member

100 degree spikes? Prob going to have to reseat the cpu block unfortunately. Those bubbles wouldn't cause such a variance in temperature.

jpw007 likes this.
  15. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

What did you use at the bottom which the red arrow is pointing to?

16. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

Yeah i know, was just trying to convince my self i wouldnt have to. Will still try and see if i can get a bit more air out of it

Its just where i re-used the vertical gpu cover

[​IMG]

Dipping my toe into some crypto mining. Really do like the colour theme

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  17. connico

connico Member

mining eth? :p

18. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Thanks I'll have a look through my mess and see if I can find it or something else to go there.

19. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

Still battling the temps.

Im pretty sure its a flow issue. I tightened the block down a heap more, not much change but also moved the case around and found this big air lock and managed to shimmy it around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still think there is another one as the pump struggles to move even smallish air bubbles around. The pump speed is set to full in the bios automatically.

Still spiking to 100 degrees in timspy cpu test.

20. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Did you try to reseat your CPU?