Having trouble getting new Samsung LED TV right..

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Liighthead, May 26, 2012.

1. Liighthead

Liighthead New Member

Hey peeps, got this new tv the other day and ever since then I just can't get the picture looking right :wired:

The exact model of the TV is.. UA46ES6600M

This one here

Went into Harvey Norman.. this one ticked all the boxes and it was effing cheap! $1699.. down from 1999

Anyway... I'm using this TV for alot of things... got it hooked up to the PS3 for TV and games etc and also is hooked up to the HTCP to just browse the net..

but I just can't get the settings right.. like in some cases the black just look like black and crap so I turn the contrast down to about 80 but then the screen just looks all pale? so I turn the contrast back up and play with the brightness etc but can just never get it right.... also.. the sharpness really effects the writing on the HTCP side of things so I turned it all the way down but then when I switched to the PS3 things seeemed a little soft :upset:

Room conditions is basicly the same all the time (dark ) movies look fine on it.. except the contrast issue /black issue ...

anyone give me some advice on what settings to use? also what "features" to have on or not...

cheers.

2. Zee

Zee Member

Go get yourself a disc like DVE or Spears and Munsil, and go through the test patterns.

Otherwise, as a *very* general idea, start with "Movie" mode, contrast should be between about 80-95, brightness 50-55, sharpness at 0-2 (trust the text on your PC, not the PS-3), colour at about 45-50, colour temp should be set to Warm 2, and for a dark room, backlight should be set to between about 2 and 4, though that depends on your idea of a dark room.

It may seem "pale", but what it actually is, is close to "real". ie. If you take a photo out your window, and then look at that image on your TV, it will look very similar to looking out the window.

Turn off all the dynamic options, noise filters and motion smoothing crap, though from memory, there is an option called Deep Black (or similar) that should be on. Under advanced settings, set the colour space to "native".

That should get you fairly close - you really will need a test pattern disc (or perhaps look for one online - I've seen a few free test patterns on AVS forums).

Let yourself get used to the image, the low sharpness actually adds detail, as you no longer have white halos around everything in an attempt to make things look sharper (hence why text on your PC is looking better). You'll also notice that you see details in blacks, and that you can actually see texture and details in whites, for example, scenes in snow.

Z...

3. OP
    OP
    Liighthead

Liighthead New Member

Hello Z,

Thanks alot for all the info, seems to have helped a lot, I've set up the TV with your recommendations and I like it :) however I do have one question which I can't seem to find the answer to ANYWHERE. If I turn off all that motion smoothing crap etc whats the TV's real refresh rate? cause on the Samsung website it says someshit about 500hz? but then theres $4000 tvs with only 200hz? so I was wondering thats the real refresh rate?

4. Spyfox

Spyfox Member

i believe its about 100hz but ill need to double check

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You've also just got to simply trawl through the visual settings to see what appeals to your eye the most with various media, DVD, BD, regular TV etc.

6. Zee

Zee Member

Here is a link to help explain a little about refresh rates, basically,t here is a difference between refresh rates and frame rates, the article should help a bit. It's not actually the one I wanted ot point out, but I can't seem to find it right now. Also a video here.

Basically, there are usually 24 of 25frames per second for most of our viewing. There are 100, 200 and 400Hz+ refresh rates for LCD panels. Smooth motion creates "made up frames" between actual frames to create that smooth affect, but it kills a lot of other things in the process. Turning off smooth motion won't change the refresh rate of the TV.

Z...

Last edited: May 31, 2012