Having trouble OC my Ryzen build

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by psycodiver, Oct 31, 2018.

1. psycodiver

psycodiver New Member

Here are the parts:
    https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/psycodiver/saved/

I have tried various ways to OC but because of my inexperience I have failed.

The only thing I know how to do is OC the CPU with the AUTO option in the BIOS. The CPU only goes as far as 3.65GHz. I'm pretty confident that it can go further if I somehow manually tune it.

I can't seem to properly OC the RAM without the computer going into BSOD.
    The RAM unfortunately is not on the mobo's QVL which has really caused a lot of headaches for me...

I'm looking for some help to perform a max OC on both RAM and CPU.

Many Thanks

2. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
    Firstly, that board isnt really good for overclocking an 8 core cpu in. Weak vrms etc. The ram most likely hynix which your cpu and mobo will be picky with. First thing I'd do is set it at 3000mhz ( 2933mhz in ryzen language ) and try to get that stable before worrying about CPU. For cpu, best you try asus zenstates and in the "P0" section put your desired overclock all core figure and voltage. On that board I wouldnt exceed 1.4v without expecting dramatic events ;) I'd first aim for 3800 all core @ 1.375v as a suggestion and play from there. You wont live long and prosper overclocking hard on that board.

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I don't want to be a wet blanket here, but first I think you need to examine why it is that you want to overclock?

The board and the ram are both not particularly good for overclocking, and even the best of us would get minimal real world performance gains from the parts you have.

If you just want to attempt it for shits and giggles, and to try and learn a bit, then hell yeah, see what you can do. If your only motivation is improved performance, then you will be bitterly disappointed, and you would probably be better off not bothering until you can afford some better hardware.

cmi83 and museumman like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    psycodiver

psycodiver New Member

Thanks for the advice, I will check out the zenstats and the PO section.
    A couple of things;
    "Firstly, that board isnt really good for overclocking an 8 core cpu in." I'm not really looking for a "good" overclock, I'm just wanting to get whatever overclock it can handle.
    "The ram most likely hynix..." The RAM is Corsair, you can see it in the parts list.

I'm looking for some help with how to use the BIOS overclocking screen.
    For example; when I go to the Ai Tweaker on the BIOS to overclock the RAM it gives me 3 options:
    D.O.C.P.
    D.O.C.P. Standard
    Manual Tune

Which one should I choose?
    Also, is there a a step-by-step guide to overclocking the RAM & CPU?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  5. miicah

miicah Member

He means the individual memory chips on the RAM.

psycodiver likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    psycodiver

psycodiver New Member

In regards to overclocking the RAM:
    I went to:
    Ai Tweaker
    Ai Overclock Tuner --> D.O.C.P. Standard
    Memory Frequency --> DDR4 3133MHz

It seems to be stable on that memory frequency, but when I tried for 3200MHz the computer loaded fine into the OS and got to the desktop fine but after a few seconds it gave me a BSOD.
    Is there any way I can get to 3200MHz? It seems I am very close to it.
    I know the CPU supports 3200MHz and the RAM is 3200MHz and also the mobo supports it as well (but only on the QVL RAM.)

7. miicah

miicah Member

8. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

the first gen ryzens are super fussy with ram, i checked the above link you gave with your set up & seen this on your mobo

MEMORY TYPE
    DDR4-2133 / 2400 / 2666

perhaps this is, or part of your issue?

9. miicah

miicah Member

Also you probably need a BIOS update.

10. cmi83

cmi83 Member

Not worth replying to this? I thought it was a very valid point and helpful.. I'm in the same boat with my gear, just not worth the headache for something that isn't really going to make an ounce of difference

11. OP
    OP
    psycodiver

psycodiver New Member

I have confirmed using Thaiphoon (program) that they are indeed Hynix.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that, sorry.

Yes, my BIOS is fully updated.

12. miicah

miicah Member

It means your motherboard only officially supports 2666mhz memory speeds. Any further is considered an OC and may not work (even though your RAM is rated for 3200).

Did you watch that YT video I linked?

13. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

It meant that, regardless of what your CPU specs are, your mobo isn't rated to run memory at the speeds you are trying to attain.

14. OP
    OP
    psycodiver

psycodiver New Member

Yes, I've seen that video several times before. Thanks

15. OP
    OP
    psycodiver

psycodiver New Member

I'm still not sure what you mean by that.
    If you mean that it's not the recommended settings for the mobo, yes I understand that.

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/PRIME-B350-PLUS/specifications/
    Memory
    AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors
    4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3200(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Un-buffered Memory

I could be wrong here but to me that reads that it's possible to get 3200MHz RAM speed on that mobo.

16. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

No. It means that on your motherboard anything over 2666Mhz is a bonus and if you can't reach 3200Mhz stable it's most likely because your motheroboard isn't up to it.

If you're trying to run 3200MHz RAM at 3200MHz, the first thing you should ensure is that you have a motherboard which is up to running 3200MHz RAM.

17. OP
    OP
    psycodiver

psycodiver New Member

Yes, I'm pretty sure I understand you now.
    3200MHz is not guaranteed by the motherboard manufacturer.

I'm just trying to get as high a speed as it can go.
    The RAM seems stable on 3133MHz at the moment, if it can't go higher than that, then that's fine.
    But, if I can get 3200MHz that would be better and that's what I want to find out.

18. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

As has already been said, first gen Ryzen is particularly fussy with ram. Although a ram stick might be officially rated at XMP (extreme memory profile) 3200, there is no guarantee that it can actually do it. It is a well known fact that in most cases with first gen Ryzen, XMP speeds are not attainable without significant tweaks, and even then not necessarily. This is why Samsung B Die is so popular, it is a ram chip that can reliably work with Ryzen. There are Hynix chips that can do it too, but the Hynix in Corsair LPX is not among that group.

I'm not saying its impossible, I'm saying it is unlikely that you will be able to run 3200 stable using that ram, on that board, without significant timing and subtiming changes. This is why many ram kits are labelled 'for AMD'. The actual chips on the ram sticks are more likely to actually achieve the 3200 overclock you are trying to reach, and yes, using your mobo, with 'AMD' or 'Ryzen' ram. It really is a thing.

For a decent CPU overclock, your motherboard will limit you however.

Again, are you doing this because you think the computer will give you more FPS in games, or be much faster, etc, or are you doing it because you want to learn about overclocking? If its the former, then don't bother, the gains are probably not worth the headache (although it is also true that Ryzen prefers ram @ 3000 or higher).

If you want to learn then by all means, you will learn a little by trying, but not a lot with that particular ram kit.

Were I you, and I was determined to get that 3200 speed, I'd be selling your kit to an Intel owner (because it will almost certainly run at 3200 XMP stable on an Intel rig) and buying a different ram kit.

Most G-Skill Trident-Z ram runs B-die, and G-Skill Flare-X is an excellent choice too. Those ram sticks may actually even be capable of higher.. my B350 ITX board is running Flare-X c14 ram stable @ 3600 c14, 24/7.

Corsair LPX is not Ryzen friendly, that's the bottom line, regardless of the specs you are trying to quote. You have asked the questions, they are being answered. Why will you not listen?

19. OP
    OP
    psycodiver

psycodiver New Member

This is the reason.

So, what you are saying that it's too complex?
    OK thanks, I understand that.

20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

No, its not too complex to begin with, and we will be happy to assist. Just wanted to make sure we are clear, sometimes the benefits are not worth the headache unless its something you really want to do just for its own sake. There is however no guarantee that those sticks will ever be capable of a stable 3200 OC, and even if they are, its likely that the relaxed timings that may be required will actually have a negative effect, even at 3200. Its not just about clock speed, timings play a major factor as well.

If you have CPU-Z, post a screenshot of the memory tab, so we can offer some advice on the major timings. That's a start. We can move to subtimings from there. As you become more proficient, you will need less advice.

museumman and Catweazle like this.