Having trouble OC my Ryzen build

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by psycodiver, Oct 31, 2018.

1. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
  2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Cool. Lets begin from the top. Set your ram to run @ XMP 3200. Then up your (memory, not CPU!!) volts to 1.4v, if XMP hasn't already done so. Then change your command rate to 2T (or your BIOS may call it 2N, but the number you want is 2). Try that and see what happens. In your next screenshot, also include the SPD tab.. you can run multiple instances of CPU-Z at once to allow both windows to be in the same screenshot.

3. OP
    OP
    psycodiver

psycodiver New Member

In my Asus BIOS I was a little unsure what the command rate was titled, I saw a field "Cmd2T" which had 3 options: Auto, 1T, & 2T and I figured this was the command rate.

I tried that and got a BSOD.

4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

OK, cool. Yep, you found the command rate. Shame it didn't work. Ok, so next step, since you only want to try one thing at a time. Revert the command rate to 1T, and change the CAS (CL) to 18, and try again.

5. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

hey man, its also worth it to get ryzen master and have a look at your system temps that can also cause locking up which makes it harder to identify if its ram or temps, pritty easy one to eliminate
    test the cpu under load and make sure it isnt hitting crazy temps, if it seems like its running hot up your fan speed & see if that gets you some stability. i just skim read thread to see if this was mentioned, if i missed it in an earlier post soz

6. OP
    OP
    psycodiver

psycodiver New Member

Tried that and got a BSOD sorry.

7. OP
    OP
    psycodiver

psycodiver New Member

I had a look at the Ryzen DRAM Calculator: https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-...lator-1-1-0-beta-2-overclocking-dram-am4.html
    It took about 20 mins to write down all the adjustments but when I went to input them I found it to be too dis-organised, having to take some pretty big guesses at what the terminology on the DRAM calculator meant and then I gave up.

In your guys opinion, my best option to solve this would be to just buy some good G-Skill RAM?
    I probably would do that and just sell my Coirsair to someone who can actually use it but the price of RAM is so outrageous, is there another alternative?

8. OP
    OP
    psycodiver

psycodiver New Member

Just another question as well, I'm still fidgeting around with the DRAM calculator.
    The calc gives me an amount for SOC Voltage (which is referred to as VDDCR SOC Voltagte)
    But, it seems I cannot adjust the SOC Voltage on my BIOS.
    I can only adjust the Offset Mode, which kinda makes the whole calculator worthless.
    Anyone know how I can adjust the SOC voltage in this situation?

Later EDIT:
    Also, I managed to get a seemingly stable 3200MHz overclock on the RAM by simply upping the DRAM voltage. Atm I have the DRAM voltage at 1.47v which I suspect is too high to maintain safely. Any ideas??

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  9. FOTW

FOTW Member

Max voltage for XMP 2.0 certified RAM is 1.5v your a tad under it (default range for XMP 2.0is 1.2-1.5V). You might reduce its life expectancy by a small margin if you have warranty on the ram I wouldn't sweat it to much. See if you can get the the the RAM to run 3200, 16 18 18 36 @ 1.35v as thats the tested settings from corsair.

As for CPU just bump up CPU GHz in small increments until it wont boot, once it wont boot then try to up the CPUs voltage. Max voltage i would run that CPU at is 1.40v ideally you should get about 3.8GHz at 1.35-1.38v. If your lucky some Ryzens will clock to 4.0GHz with a Voltage under 1.40v. A friedn of mine runs his on water at 1.44v at 4.0GHz and ahs been since its release. Keep an eye on your temps, try to keep it under 90 degrees at full load.

Dont feel bad if it doesnt overclock by much Ryzens don't overclock well.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  10. OP
    OP
    psycodiver

psycodiver New Member

It wasn't stable at 1.47v so I moved up to 1.5v.
    I'm not going any further with trying to overclock the RAM, if this fails I will just buy the proper Ryzen RAM.

As for overclocking the CPU, I have had it completely stable at 3.725GHz with the wraith cooler it came with.
    I'm thinking if I water cool it I can get up to 4GHz.
    Can anyone give me some info on how far I can over clock my CPU with water?

11. OP
    OP
    psycodiver

psycodiver New Member

Unfortunately, the RAM is still crashing on 1.5v.
    I guess I will have to buy some RAM specifically for Ryzen,
    Last I checked it cost about $400, is there any way to get it for cheaper?
    Like, does anyone know where I can buy it for a reasonable price?
    And I'm guessing the brand I want is G-Skill FlareX?
    I know I want 16GB and 3200MHz but there are a few different models of that RAM, is there a particular model I should be getting?
    This one looks to be the most suitable model: F4-3200C14D-16GFX

The RAM I have in there now cost somewhere around $200-$300...
    I could probably sell that to help buy the new RAM

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  12. FOTW

FOTW Member

I think you're out of luck with the RAM. Just getting it running stable.

I wouldn't know what the best RAM for overclocking is however the G Skill Flare X For AMD you mentioned are great modules and should work at their rated speeds.

3.75Ghz is great result with stock cooler, just keep monitoring temps and make sure they aren't going over 90 degrees on load, generally you want to keep it under 75 degrees however peaks over 75 every now and then is ok. Water cooling will help with temps, performance depends on what type of water cooling solution you use If your new to this an all in one water cooling kit would be easiest. Just do a google search for AIO water cooling kit comparisons. I use a Corsair H100i on my core i7 and I'm very happy with it.

13. grrrr

grrrr Member

14. dasa2

dasa2 Member

Look for a monitoring section in the bios it may display what the SOC is currently reading then adjust the SOC offset according but be aware of BIOS problems on these budget MB like this person had with adjusting the SOC

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3591620/soc-voltages-asus-prime-b350.html

15. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

I have the same CPU and motherboard as you. I have been able to get my CPU to 3.85ghz @ 1.36v using the stock cooler. I have got a AIO cooler enroute, so hoping to get some more performance from it.
    In regard to your ram - it is extremely hard to get it stable. To get mine to 3200, I was BSODing and crashing, and upped the voltage by .1v and changed one timing value and it booted and hasn't crashed since. Too afraid to change anything again. It's very hit and miss unfortunately.
    The motherboard isn't amazing for overclocking, but thankfully the BIOS updates have improved it a bit. I was able to get my 1700 to 3.92ghz with the stock cooler - but didn't like the temps.