Having weird internet speeds, I dont know really understand much.

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by jjo, Apr 10, 2013.

1. jjo

jjo Member

I searched the forum for the issue I'm having but didn't find anything that I really understood since all the lingo is unfamiliar to me to I'd figure I'd post a new thread.

I moved from Sydney to Mittagong recently and went from a 130GB ADSL2+ plan to ADSL1 30GB. I dont have a major problem with the data allowance but the internet speeds I've been getting are fluctuating to the point where its really starting to affect what I do.

When its "working" normally I get somewhere in the realm of 5mbps which is fine I guess and pretty normal? for most people. But at random times of the day the connection will be absolutely throttled to 0.11mbps down and 0.13mpbs up and I have no idea why. I can literally be browsing and the next page click will take an hour to load or not even load at all and I'll have to connect my phone via 3G tethering to my computer to finish what i need to do. Then after a few hours or a couple of DAYS it will go back to normal speeds.

I have a fairly new Linksys X3000 router which has the n wireless. Turning the router on and off does not fix the problem.

The ping stays the same at around 53ms I think. Is 0.11mbps still faster than dialup?

If you guys could offer me some possible explanations in fairly simple terms that I can understand that would be great. I'm not familiar with how "ports", "congestion", and "exchanges" really work. :tongue:

Im not even sure if this will be able to post. I'll try and reload the page in an hour or so to see if theres any replies.

Cheers,

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Have you rung your ISP? Mine (when I had it) went screwy like that and they reset it or something from their end/in the exchange/something (I don't really understand much either).

I also got congestion, it would slow down to a crawl from 6pm. Congestion just means a crapload of people are trying to use the available lines at the same time and there are not enough to let everybody have access at a decent speed. It's like a traffic jam, only on phone lines.

3. OP
    OP
    jjo

jjo Member

Alright I'll give them a ring. Had a power outage most of the day anyway.