Hd 5870 what a heat monster

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by kayl, Jan 30, 2010.

1. kayl

kayl New Member

For the last week I have been playing with the cascade on the cpu at -108c to -103c, and a 2hp single stage on the gpu running -55c load testing this card. I tried giving the card between 1.35v and 1.5v and it just wasn’t stable, couldn’t even clock the card to 1050mhz. At first I thought the card was a dud, but just in case had to try it on ln2. What I did find out is the card is a heat monster and needs at least -80c to clock above 1200mhz. At -130c MSi after burner maxed oute core at 1275mhz. I tried both MSIAfterburnerSetup142 and MSIAfterburnerSetup150Beta2. I have flashed the card to MSi bios 910 I think.
    Can any one suggest a tool or bios to make the card clock past 1275core. This card has no cold bug so I have big plans for it 

Vantage 23695
    [​IMG]

3dmark 06, 31311
    [​IMG]

3dmark 05, 42670
    [​IMG]

3dmark 03, 103578
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this was round one of insulation.
    After getting a little excited with the card not having a cold bug ran temps at around -145 to -160c.
    At the start i was pouring the ln2 too quick then all of a sudden the card was at -170c :eek:
    Good old kayl pot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

system crashed and posted a gpu error code. Looked at the card and it was sweating all over, even on the vga connector it was insane. So shut system down and warmed the card up, added insulation all in around 20mins :nod:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the tube extension, the card was so hot as you added the ln2 in it was back blowing out of the tube :heh:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. Agg

Agg Administrator

This might get noticed better in Extreme Cooling, will move it there now. :)

3. Xtreem

Xtreem Member

Nice clocks for a 5970. I noticed you have kneadable eraser over the PWM phases - how hot are they getting under there with no sinks or airflow? Is the card PCB temp enough to keep them cool?

Any gains from the added caps?

4. dinos22

dinos22 Member

whoa
    nice insulation :D
    good stuff kayl kicking some ATI ass :D

5. Hooti3

Hooti3 Member

Insulation.

Serious Business.

6. tupac130996

tupac130996 Member

you are awesome. there are pro's and there are real pros. :thumbup:

7. Spork!

Spork! Member

Does senator Garrett subsidise that insulation?

8. dmandn

dmandn Member

Nah, wasn't shonky enough to pass (fail) the tests

9. OP
    OP
    kayl

kayl New Member

Ya will be surprised how much cold is transferred through the PCB with the kneadable eraser covering the hole pcb, same with the ram. I did try benching without the additional caps and voltages were fluctuating all over the place, ie really bad vdroop. With the caps voltages are stable as. 1.45v should be enough for some serious clocks. Plan to do some more benching firday night, cant wait.

thanxs mate, my 30L dewar should arrive before I get home, no more borrowing uncle festers dewar.
    With the new version of MSI burner I should be able to clock well past the current core limit of 1275Mhz and get some more hwbot points ;)

thanks mate, without the insulation there is some searious condensation after an hours benching. I have evaportaive airconditioning so condensaion is quiet an issue without this level of insulation

Thanxs mate, I hope to get back to #1 in aus for hwbot ranking after this Friday nights bench

:lol:

10. Frag

Frag Member

Nice work, its Saturday, where are the results?

You're not worried about taking out some IC's with that much eraser?

Anyway... results!

11. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

One word: crazy! :thumbup:

12. OP
    OP
    kayl

kayl New Member

had lots of fun benching and drinking, but didnt manage to pull any results better than my previous best on the 1366 system. I then moved onto the P55 UD4P, modded the board so it didnt have any cold bug issues. Was benching at around -160c and didnt hit any cold bug issues which is good. But the ran out of voltage at 1.9v so awaiting my new GIG P55 UD7 to arrive before benching again. Once it does ill have some more benches to post :thumbup:

thanxs mate

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010