1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hdd life span

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Crosspeen, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Crosspeen

Crosspeen Member

I was wondering what people how long have they found that their hdd last for?

My pc is around 10-11 years old, and I can't remember last time I replaced one of the hdds

A youtube video has recommended going to hwinfo.com for the software to checkout how many hours my drived have done

Cheers!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  2. power

power Member

there is no set age, only mean time to failure based on power on and off cycles. This varies wildly but normally the manufacturer will know how long this is.

Crosspeen likes this.
  3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've really had very few failures in my pc career, most likely due in part to the frequency in which I churn parts. The only recent mech hdd death that I can recall was putting an older Seagate 2TB non surveillance drive in a security system NVR. It lasted maybe 6 months.

Crosspeen likes this.
  4. drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

Is it more so on and off than it is power on hours?

5. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

i wouldn't expect over 10 yrs from a hdd. depends on the specific unit of course, and its use.

i have an older seagate i no longer use sitting on the shelf - from 2005. crystal disk health indicates it's bound to fail. but it still works.

others from 2011 still show no probs (all green) but i use them for storage (just like i used to use optical disks) and they sit on the shelf. i have been replacing at around 10 years.
    i think nas storage things with frequent use might need replace sooner...but with lovely raid 1's or 5's or somesuch i guess they fail when they fail. replace as required. :tongue:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Crosspeen likes this.
  6. power

power Member

i would say a combination of both, however on/off cycles with a mechanical drive are very important.

7. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Head loads, temperature, vibration, humidity, the list goes one. Thats why its so hard to get a straight answer. There is not one :)

I have a few drives that I guess are pretty old. (I know some are Samsung branded and that stopped 2011 so at least 9 years old) .

General rule of thumb - Have Backups

With that assumption, just keep it until it stops working or you out grow it.

Crosspeen likes this.