1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

HDD prices

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Madengineer, Oct 23, 2011.

1. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

Just one. I bought a new case and it only has two 3.5" bays, so I want to get the most out of it. Already have a 10TB Ironwolf.

It's not worth importing large amounts anyway. Buying 2 of them would save about $3 per drive. Buying 3 would increase the cost by $90 per drive due to the GST. Looks like B&H charge about 20% due to all the handling fees for collecting tax for a foreign government.

2. Copie

Copie Member

Cheaper to get them ex amazon anyways.

But that being said, with the easystore 8tb's being around 170usd and the Toshiba x300's 5tb's at 115usd its hard to pass those up.

3. AfterBurner1

AfterBurner1 Member

just checked the X300 6tb link and they've dropped in price again by US$8 or so.

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Picked up 3 of the 6tb drives off that link. Waiting for delivery now... waiting waiting waiting.

5. Copie

Copie Member

Yeah takes around 1-1.5 weeks.

I grabbed another 12x5tbs when they were 115usd/unit the other day so that should do me for another few months.

But yeah 170usd for 6tb for boxed retail drives is great buying, 4 per 1000 dollar GST limit.

No difference in speed between the slowest shipping and the mid level so easy to save dollars there.

6. passivekid

passivekid Member

Can you just separate shipments or will you end up getting caught for GST?

7. Copie

Copie Member

Yeah it's what I did, shipped to 3 different addresses and names (sisters and a mate)

Pretty common thing to do.

Though I suspect this might be the last lot of 3.5 inch drives, next lot will be 5tb 2.5 inch drives which can be had for 180usd as I'm running out of rack space.

8. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

I have my eye on that form factor too. The price gap has been closing and I suspect they're already ahead of 3.5" in some metrics (GB/cm³ and weight come to mind).

9. Copie

Copie Member

And because 2.5 tends to be a little bit more niche RU enclosures are cheaper as there isn't as much demand on the 2nd hand market.

We shall see anyways, just going to sit on my hands for now unless I come across some epic pricing again

10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

That's actually a lot quicker than I was expecting, so that's good. And yeah the price was too good to pass up. I'd been trying to limit myself to 8tb drives now, slowly moving my storage over from far too old 2tb drives, but they're ageing faster than I can afford 8tb drives so it made the decision a lot easier.

I had no idea 2.5" drives had hit 5tb.. That's crazy lol. I have a 4x2.5" caddy in my desktop pc, I could put 20tb in it :lol:

11. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

I've done a comparison of 2.5" and 3.5" HDDs. Thread is here. 2.5" is actually not bad if you don't mind paying a bit extra, and have enough SATA/SAS ports.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

13. flain

flain Member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  14. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Still not a great price really. I picked up a seagate 10tb local au stock/warranty for 490 delivered ....
    Thats with better specs than the red too for reads and writes. 0.8watt more on the power side :)

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

16. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm with you. I have more TV and movies on file than I could watch in a couple years, 16 hrs a day. Some of it, I'll never even get to. I have a 2TB drive with TV and movies on it - probably 75% full. I have another 500GB drive with all other data on it.. pix, music, documents, software etc. - probably 50% full. OS is on a 950 Pro.

I have two more 2TB drives which are unallocated, I have no use for them. I was aiming for 4x2TB 2.5" drives, just because it would be cool to have so much storage in my little case, but I've discovered I have no use at all for them. I guess a RAID mirror is probably in order, just to make use of the space :lol:

I remember I used to be constantly downloading shit, and never watching or listening to it.. then I realised how silly it was. I suspect most people have done the same.. even my mother, in her 80's, steals masses of music and movies online. She has everything cataloged, sorted, mp3 tags just how she likes them, the lot. I taught her well :)

Even she will admit she already has more than she could ever watch or listen to for the rest of her life. She still got me to set her up with a VPN though, she plans on continuing her downloads. I'm so proud of her :thumbup:

17. AfterBurner1

AfterBurner1 Member

I've noted that on both FleaBay and Cramazon the higher spec Gold Drives have been cheaper than the RED Pros, maybe it's a introductory thing but get em while they're cheap.

If I recall correctly, the 2.5" drives are 15mm Tall so that might ruin some parties. though I seem to recall reading that fairly normal for SAS 2.5" drives.

Also, OzBargain had this up today. $500 inc shipping on WD Red 10TB Drives. source is B&H.

18. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Member

19. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Member

Say what ?

20. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

I was looking at grabbing a couple of external 5TB 2.5" HDDs from CPL, and according to Seagate, it's totally okay to shuck them and not void warranty, as long as you only do minor damage to the casing.

I might try my luck, or I could just leave them in the cases and double side tape them to the inside of my case and feed the cables out through the back :D