HDD prices

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Madengineer, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Jazz

Jazz Member

Apart from the $169 bestbuy, are there any deals similar on the 8Tb Easystore?

2. Nukeyb0i

Nukeyb0i Member

It was mentioned that the WD my book duos contain 2x WD reds, does anyone know if the single drive version (8tb) has the same and can be shucked without issues?

3. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

[​IMG]

Wow, great stuff! :thumbup:

It makes sense from their perspective I guess. They have to bust open the casing to check the drive for defects anyway, and even if it can be refurbished they probably can't re-use the busted case. As long as the customer hasn't shucked the drive with a hammer it's not really relevant to the warranty.

4. warrenr

warrenr Member

Are amazon and new egg still the main ones for buying hdd while in the us? Dropping through a mates in Washington and thinking of buying 3 or 4 drives to upgrade my nas from 2tb dives.

5. Jazz

Jazz Member

Bestbuy has the best price on the 8tb easystore, it moves around from $160-$199

6. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Bizarre, it must be the season for it.

One of the WD Red 3TB drives in my FreeNAS box is also failing quickly and in need of replacement.

As far as WD Red's go looking at umart and MSY it seems that the 3TB is the 'sweet spot' as far as price/TB is concerned.

Plus there's no need for me to get a larger drive as in my 6 drive NAS it won't be able to take advantage of the increased capacity unless/until all drives are replaced and I can't see that happening anytime soon...

From this and subsequent comments it seems that these are well regarded. Are there any 'downsides' to these drives as opposed to a WD Red?

Looking at umart the Toshiba is $115 compared with $150 for the WD drive - and that's a benefit right there.

Is there a difference in warranty period?
    Problems if RMA required with Toshiba?

7. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

HGST 10TB is now available for pre-order from B&H. Looks like they've bumped the price up a bit because it's the same as the IronWolf now.

8. warrenr

warrenr Member

I found that the 4TB has a NAS drive in it! - any idea if the 8 would as well?

Also I'm assuming international warranty is going to be a pain especially if I take it out of the case

(I might just USB it to my NAS, break the NAS raid and just sync it across as a backup)

9. Jazz

Jazz Member

Yup, 8Tb red in there. There are some comprehensive videos that show how to open the case with a cut up library card. One screw to undo and nobody is the wiser.

Send me your paypal dets, you can grab me a couple while you are over there :)

10. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

If it's a WD Red, you should be able to enter the serial # of the drive itself for warranty purposes, and for Red's that warranty applies internationally.

(at least, it did when I checked a few months ago)

11. flain

flain Member

12. Jazz

Jazz Member

13. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

Same specs as the IronWolf 10TB, except the HGST is 30% heavier...? :confused: That is a big weight difference.

I ended up buying another IronWolf a few weeks ago because there was no ETA on the HGSTs. I don't feel so bad about it now that the prices are the same, and Seagate reliability has improved so much in recent years.

14. flain

flain Member

Probably because the IronWolf is a helium PMR drive allowing for thinner platters while the HGST isn't

15. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Member

16. cyborg

cyborg Member

toshiba 4tb any good!!!!!

toshiba 4tb any good am looking to buy a 4tb drive i was going to buy seagate but i have heard there only 5900 rpm

17. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

What's a good reliable 8Tb external drive that's not a Seagate? And doesn't cost the Earth? (Hoping for under $500, but cheaper the better.)
    Closing in on 6Tb worth of.. Umm. Stuff... Let's just call it science. :lol:

At the moment got a 4Tb Western Digital Elements full and starting to fill up my other 4Tb Elements drive. :thumbup:

18. davros123

davros123 Member

19. Renza

Renza Member

I got some from the Best Buy in the US, the WD 8tb easystores, US$159 for single drive, cost me around $250 landed through a freight forwarder. They go on sale fairly often.

20. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

Are Deathstars decent these days? I was turned off them a very very long time ago due to the amount of failures they were having.
    Same with Seagate when I bought three drives and none worked on arrival.
    Would like a drive that's already in an external enclosure too.

They would use a different power plug, warranty might be void and such, right?