HDD prices

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Madengineer, Oct 23, 2011.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Backblaze are a little bit of an oddball example. They don't give a toss about performance, only the $/gb and the ability to survive their rack mount environment. You're right though $/gb is still pretty heavily in favour of 3.5" drives and I can't see that changing any time soon.

I imagine soon enough 2.5" drives will achieve high enough capacity that you'll be able to have more of them in a smaller footprint, requiring less cooling and less power and that might just be enough to tip the balance in their favour, performance aside, even if they remain more expensive $/gb.

mikezilla2 likes this.
  2. dmguru

dmguru Member

3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I've found my 3x archive drives run incredibly hot. I get constant high temp warnings from them. At this point I think I'd rather spend the extra money and get the regular desktop/NAS versions.

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

There's a reasonable chance of getting a non archive drive...
    I bought 4 last time.. no archives..

But basically no warranty and US power transformer..

You get can them locally for between $270 and $300 on a good day with 3 years warranty... I guess its whether its worth the risk...

I bought one external hub one from JBHIFI and another from Officeworks at $279 and $265 on special respectively... two weeks ago... both were also non archive drives..

5. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

My 8tb reds idle in low 30s and don't have the slow write problems of my smr archive drives, recommend

6. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

I wouldn't touch an Archive drive at any price. Takes more than 3 days of nonstop copying to fill an 8TB drive.

7. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

yeah mine's under 10% remaining free space and I am now intermittently getting occasions where after the first 1-2Gb of writes the remainder slows to single digit MB/sec crawl. Can't find a pattern to it but its definitely happening sometimes. I'm only archiving media on it so I can live with it but its irritating enough for me to want to get rid (just not irritating enough to make me drop the best part of 400 bucks for a decent replacement like the 8Tb WD Red)

But yeah not buying a SMR drive again, the slow writes gets old quick (even when blank when you hammer the buffer and then the remaining transfer slows down to 20-30MB/sec its still fairly annoying)

Anecdotal but I'm defo on the WD side of the religious debate, I've had quite a few seagates kick the bucket on me but I can't recall the last time a WD died (touch wood), ditto hitachi - they're fast but hot and loud

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  8. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I'm getting good results with the new ironwolf series. We've also rolled out several dozen at work in synology nas's, 5mths so far, no failures. And now I've said that tomorrow is going to suck :p

GDavid likes this.
  9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I use a 8tb archive for incremental backups. Doesnt take too long and i generally set it up to copy overnight anyway. Runs coolish enough in a vertical dock.
    I highly recommend going the 10tb for nas duty. Helium filled and runs cold. Low power and blazing fast

10. dmguru

dmguru Member

Just to correct the post by Kelvin above. Products purchased from Amazon US can be returned and replaced. See their policy. Use one of the many Australian chargers you no doubt have on hand instead of the US one.

11. Copie

Copie Member

12. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Where? $200us+post @ Amazon

13. Copie

Copie Member

Best Buy on eBay.

14. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

30 days if i remember...

Versus 3 years locally..

If you shuck them the drive out .. no warranty on the us..
    if you manage to return it to "stock" theres a chance of return to places like officeworks... during the warranty period ...

With stuff like hard drives .. there is a real significant risk of failure / bad sectors at some stage.....

It whether its worth the risk ...

I need a greater than 20-30% discount for me buy a spinning disk from overseas..

15. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

> 30 days they will not accept a return and insist you deal with a manufacturer. So it then depends on the product and the manufacturer. Worst case the manufacturer will only do a RMA from the US

TBH a 30% discount is a no brainer IMO, do you generally RMA 3 out of 10 drives within their warranty? My anecdotal experience is much lower than that

16. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

17. davros123

davros123 Member

Nice deal. thanks for the heads up

18. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Thoughts on this drive?

Seagate STEL8000300 Desktop Drive With Integrated USB

$268 from Ebay locally with 20% off promotion.

19. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

Any recommendations for drives to store movies/tv on? Current drives getting a bit old.

Also open to a NAS suggestion to move the drives out of my PC

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  20. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Do you have an old clunker of a PC lying in the garage or somewhere? Just download Freenas and install using your old drives using the ZFS file system in Raid-Z1 (Raid 5) mode or better still Raid-Z2 (Raid6) and this will continue running even if the odd drive dies from time to time and also it will fix bad sectors transparently. You will have to take off any data you currently have off the drives before you do this.

If the data is static you can do the same and use something like unraid or flexraid and move your existing drives over as they are and then you just add a parity drive (or two) to protect it.