HDD prices

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Madengineer, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Wozzernux likes this.
  2. h0mer_

h0mer_ Member

If you do, would you mind coming back in here and letting us know what make/model drive/s you find in them please?

Cheers :)

Wozzernux likes this.
  3. Wozzernux

Wozzernux Member

Any expectation for these to contain a 6TB Ironwolf drive is wishful thinking :lol: but you never know! Just like the WD Mybook externals with the dice roll between a red or green drive inside.

Googled the model number STEB6000403 for reviews and an Amazon user here from May 2017 mentions the HDD inside is a Seagate ST6000AS0002 archive model, one of the slow SMR drives :Paranoid:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    mikezilla2 likes this.
  4. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Member

nope likes this.
  5. nope

nope Member

gotta ask is it one of those ones you cant remove and shove in your pc?

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The 8TB WD can't be shucked. The 6TB Seagate most likely can. WD use proprietary connections on all external drives now, the Seagates are still commonly using USB adapters on a standard SATA drive.

nope likes this.
  7. nope

nope Member

so if i snap the cable off im fucked? So tempted to blow all of my centerlink tendies on it.

BeastHouse likes this.
  8. AfterBurner1

AfterBurner1 Member

hey all, I notice that at the present time ebay is having a but of a crack. both futu_online and pc.byte are having a go with 15-20% off their wares.
    so a pair of 8TB Ironwolfs it'd be $631 not a huge saving but might help someone out of a bind.

there's also a straight 20% off in 106 stores as per the details here

9. Winterheart

Winterheart Member

Bit the bullet and grabbed one of these. Just finished checking the drive stats and have just shucked it. Quick hint: multiple guitar picks help wonders!!! Also don't expect to be able to open the top of the case without breaking at least a few of the locking tabs. Inside my case was an ST6000DM003 Barracuda drive. Could be well worth it if you need bulk storage drives at a goodish price :D

Edit: also, as usual for the Seagate externals, start opening from the end where the cable connectors are. And the USB/SATA adapter plate is attached to the base of the drive with a single screw too.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    snowman and MUTMAN like this.
  10. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Member

So with that GST ship via Amazon Sunk Weres everyone going to be going for mybooks etc

guessing BHP have GST now

11. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

Not as far as I can see. Why would they - there's no way the Australian government can legally enforce a foreign company to collect tax on their behalf.

12. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Um.. yes, yes they can. They can simply stop the shipment at customs for items that have not had GST paid. You think a company like Amazon would have changed anything if they weren't forced to?

mikezilla2 likes this.
  13. davros123

davros123 Member

Finally got 6 x 8TB drives to replace my ever faithful 10 x 3TB HGST's in raidz2. 7+years on and they have never missed a beat or thrown an error. They are amazing. esp. as I got them at ~$140ea.

I hope these Toshi's do the same.
    They are enterprise drives from dell servers iirc . Hotter, faster and hopefully better. got them from here https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/388941

10% off and free delivery =$265ea ;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  14. VIP3R

VIP3R Member

Damn was looking at drives yesterday and missed this deal.

15. davros123

davros123 Member

Sorry, I should have posted that deal here. Bad Dav.

Spun up a napp-it vm from gea's pre-made ova template so I am all ready to go when they arrive tomorrow. Making a move from Solaris 11 to OpenIndianna so need to zfs send the existing pool to the new one = zero down time. Nice.

16. mtma

mtma Member

There's still about an hour left on the Skyhawk 6TB @ 196 ($245 before discount) on ebay with the 20 pc code and free delivery with ebay plus.

I snagged mine at $188, they must have noticed as they upped the price the day after though.

Also the Skyhawk 6TB is a 7,200 RPM drive but the seller has 5900 on the title. Actually pretty quick and seeks quietly - I would have shot at those 8TB Toshibas but I was specifically after quietness.

17. VIP3R

VIP3R Member

They are having another sale in two days, 25% for plus and 20% for non members.

Probably amount to similar prices after the price hike.

Might be time to dive in and grab 2x 10TB drives and retire some of my 3TB WD reds.

18. nathanblogs

nathanblogs Member

Doesn't look like systemax is involved :( https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/389989

19. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

TLC and future? Seem to have less durability than mlc and slc

Any thoughts on that ?

Any mitigating technology for increased durability ?

20. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Yeah, reading and rewriting the data on NAND to stop it eating holes in itself.

The fix is better non volatile storage, check out tape.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_jukebox

from memory there was a linux library that allowed caching of the first X amount of files from an optical stacker, initial low latency (cache) and then the robot caught up with the data stream.