HDD prices

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Madengineer, Oct 23, 2011.

1. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

If it's >AU$1000, customs will stop the package and invoice you for the GST if you haven't pre-paid it with the shipping. If it's <$1000, the government expects the Vendor to charge you the GST and then give the collected GST to the government at tax time. However there are no teeth in the legislation - they can't force a foreign company to collect tax on their behalf, and Customs don't have any new powers for packages <$1000. So while some of the big vendors are doing it, most aren't, because the government has no legal power to enforce their rules on foreign organisations.

2. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

My unRaid 5TB WD Reds have gone past 50% per disk. Hoping to hold out for another year, and also hoping prices will be better by then for larger drives.

3. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Member

i challenge you to Find a Parcel Forwarder that is not doing it !

4. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

I’m guessing they’ll all collect eventually, the question is really how many will remit it to the ATO, there’s no closed loop on income tax and GST like there is in Australia so the ATO has no idea how much should have been remitted. I’m guessing some unscrupulous entities will see it as another way to profit form Australian customers.

mikezilla2 likes this.
  5. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Member

would Be good to Know Witch are not right Now tho

6. ex4n

ex4n Member

Anyone know why these Hitachi drives are going for so cheap? Ultrastar 7K4000 - I can get 4TB drives posted for $155 each inside Australia.

7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Dunno but if you are in the market for 4TB drives then they would be hard to go past. Hitachi/HGST drives are my personal go-to.

8. ex4n

ex4n Member

Yea I'm looking at buying 6 or 8 of them, just wondering if anyone has any experience with these, they seem decent for a NAS.

9. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

i have 4tb hgst nas hdds, 2X not exactly that model. they are noisier than the wd's i have (all 2017 models)
    https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2017/
    i have yet to find any particularly bad hgst / hitachi drive in terms of the reliablility stats, older hitachi drives i have were less noisy. maybe the 7k4000 is quiet dont know.

and the less noisy drives im comparing them to are only 1 and 2 TB. maybe bigger capacities are noisier...nah no idea. there's even helium filled ones now :shock:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  10. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

What's happened to HGST Deskstar drives? They've disappeared most places, and anywhere else that still has them, the price has shot up!?

11. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

They got bought by WD and I guess they are fading out?

12. Copie

Copie Member

Rebranded to Toshiba

13. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

When WD bought HGST, antitrust regulations required them to operate the brands separately for a few years (and also sell some tech to Toshiba). Seems that's expired now and HGST is gone. Pity, HGST drives were a lot more reliable than WD drives. Seagate has come good on quality now, but the high capacity drives are missing middle mounting holes. I would recommend the Seagate Ironwolf range if you're looking for a substitute for HGST.

14. cvidler

cvidler Member

I've got 8x 4TB Hitachi's, 5C4000, 4.8years (42,250hrs) of power on time (pretty much 24x7, except for a day or so while I move house), zero failure rate

Looking at the Seagate Ironwolf or Exos* to replace them (out of space more than anything, although they are nearing the end of their useful life).

*seem to be able to get them for a few $ more than the same sized Ironwolf, and gain 12Gbps SAS interface (from 6Gbps SATA), and 2.5M MTBF (instead of 1M)

15. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

That's lame. Why trash the best brand name for one that was terrible a few years ago?...

I've just had so many failed HDDs over the years. 1 out of 1 Samsungs failed, and a decent number of WDs and Seagates. But never had a HGST fail.

---

Found some 8TB HGST Ultrastar He8 Enterprise drives for US$240. Might be worth freight-forwarding for that price...

16. dexster

dexster Member

Did not realise host is no longer; real shame
    But I did manage to get four ultrastar he10 10tb for just under $400aud each

Now I can finally get the DS918 sorted....

17. AfterBurner1

AfterBurner1 Member

they are still around, but the quantities are small and those that do have them get touchy about selling more than a few to a single customer.

18. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

Ooooh, care to share where? (And are the He8/He10 much better?)

I've been waiting for Black Friday sales, because I have found HGST 8TB's for under AU$400, but it's still a bit much.

19. dexster

dexster Member

the drives were purchased on ebay from an american seller; i purchased the last 4 available.
    it was a bit of a risk, but they all arrived brand new sealed in their bags and now they are wokring fine in the ds918

for the price it was worth the punt, the best i could find locally was $550

20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

$450 gets you a local warranty on a seagate 10tb helium ironwolf drive
    does the hgst do anything other than chew a ton more power ?