HDD prices

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Madengineer, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Kosti

Kosti Member

Waiting for that sweet spot of under $200 for the external 8TB drives, only $10usd difference between SG & WD on Amazon so if they drop lower I will grab 4 as I need storage!

However like U, never understood externals are less than internal drives!!
    EDIT - Another thing I never understood is if I buy from Amazon US price is $149.99 +13.51 USD including shipping ($163.51USD) approx 224.87, but if I choose to buy from Amazon AUD it works out to be higher $236 +21.05..WTF?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Myne_h likes this.
  2. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Seems like they charge 5% currency fee.
    Your bank... Honestly, I can't find the rates they use for CCs.
    It may end up about the same.

Kosti likes this.
  3. cvidler

cvidler Member

The most wear and tear occurs on the motor spinning the disks up from a stop. and the thermal shock (expansion/contraction) of the metal components as it heats up to running temp and cools back down again - changes bearing clearances, pulls on the seals, can cause solder crack on components.

I keep mine running 24x7, but they get daily use. spinning them up and down multiple times a day will wear them out. having hibernation/sleep enable for your drives is imho the worst choice, as the OS often will 'poll' the drive every now and then, so it'll have to spin up and stop multiple times a day/hour, keep it on while you're using it, or turn it off. no in-between.

if you're using them once a week or so, shutting them down when not in use will be less wear and tear than keeping them hibernated/sleep, or turning a PC on and off every day.

4. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

5. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

But how's the shucking? Hasn't WD done stuff to mess with shucking?

6. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Everyone seems to think they can.

Guess we'll see.

As far as I can tell, it's only 2.5" that have usb only.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  7. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

that's a good price for schucking.

Does Amazon include (US) sales tax up front? It's a bit weird on the US website since sales tax are different for each state. But Oregon, Alaska, Georgia and one other state have zero sales tax iirc.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  8. Kosti

Kosti Member

NFI, I just want to get some 8TB as cheap as possible even if I have to get a hammer to open then up, just seems everyone is making dollars from my purchases, Tax, CC, GST, Paypal, shipping, FFS I'm sick of it!

9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

You work for free I assume ?
    And CC and paypal are your choice.
    I do of course understand your sentiment.
    But be careful what you wish for.
    A work mate was against the idea that he was paying to build the nbn he wouldnt use. And he said user pays was a better outcome.
    I said sure, I dont have or want kids so Ill take back my tax money that funded the birth of your two rug rats and the cost to school the little fuckers for 13 years.
    I havent heard that argument since :)

My point is clearly mute for hdds, but still ....

AfterBurner1 and Pinkeh like this.
  10. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Tax is unavoidable.
    Shipping is, well, we don't have teleporters yet, do we? So, unavoidable unless you walk into a shop.
    Credit card can kinda be avoided with a debit card - but you'll still have currency conversion fees if you're buying from overseas.

GST is redundant (tax)
    Paypal? You don't have to use paypal.

So... you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

I have two on the way. Price + GST + bank currency fee (I used "USD" and the rate actually seems close to spot price) + shipping.

$466.87AU

davros123 likes this.
  11. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Arrived. A week early. Both are WD80-EAMZ (White label red drives)

12. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

Maybe there’s scope for a bulk buy here?

13. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Up to you.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Elements-Desktop-Hard-Drive-WDBWLG0080HBK-NESN/dp/B07D5V2ZXD/

Apparently they will work when shucked in my case Lianli Q25B.
    Running full scan now before shucking.

More info : https://old.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/7fx0i0/wd_easystore_8tb_compendium/

Should note, Full scan, lazy way in a VM passing the USB through, using a linux live cd and command:

sudo badblocks -b 4096 -wvs /dev/sda

Bold = wont work otherwise. Drive too big for default settings.

replace sda with whatever your drive is.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  14. AntikytheraBB

AntikytheraBB Member

I bought a couple of WD 10TB Elements from Newegg in the Cyber monday sales, for around $550 AUD delivered.
    Only thing to watch for is the "3.3V Pin issue" which was easily solved for me with a molex to sata power cable.

I shucked my first drive yesterday. Was heaps easier than I was expecting. The enclosure was very easy to take apart. It is possible they have changed the design. The drive I shucked yesterday is mounted slightly differently inside the enclosure than all the videos I have watched online. Instead of screws on the side of the drive in rubber grommets, mine had four rubber pieces 1cm x 1cm x 3cm on each corner of the drive which held it in place. I'll attempt to get some pictures if the second drive is the same when I shuck it in the next couple of days.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  15. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Thanks. You are a brave man to throw down $550 for something with no warranty AND shucked!

The tape mod looks easy, and I have used plenty of SATA to molex adapters before so looks like a go except for concerns re: warranty.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  16. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

Pop the drive back in the case..... bit of plastic glue.... they’ll never notice when you send it back...

17. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

It still has warranty if you put it back in the box.

18. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

105 hrs for the full 4 passes of badblocks on an 8tb. Nuts.

19. greebs

greebs Member

Off topic, but although Alaska has 0% state sales tax, many regions do charge taxes on sales. Anchorage is 0%, but other regions/municipalities do levy a tax. It's all over the place. Still an awesome place to visit, as is Oregon (even better, it's state law that you can't fill up your own petrol - pump service every time).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  20. Sektion8

Sektion8 Member

I bought a WD MyBook 16TB for a friend... he changed his mind... and I'm paranoid about 8TB of hard-earned content on one drive.

2x WD80EFAX inside, the prized ones I believe.

I think i'd rather 4x4TB... am I being short-sighted?? Looking to make the ultimate B4B NAS/DAS for hometheatre & house media share, along with another exact copy.