HDD prices

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Madengineer, Oct 23, 2011.

1. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Same here, bought two of these 10TB drives for $301 total, Why? I have NFI but they were so cheap I couldn't let it pass but I'm sure I'll find a use for them when I get them.

2. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

Got 6 of the $129 AUD 10TB drives. Fingers crossed. Reports say they are shipping

3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Damn I would have been all over that. Listing at $401.71 now :(

mikezilla2 likes this.
  4. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

So what do you have to do with them to use the hard drive in another enclosure? I don't like the ones that they ship in, I've had too many die. Prefer to put into a more study 3rd party USB3 enclosure... do I still need to do the tape mod for the rails?

5. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Shucking instruction vid linked by DrFrag a page back.

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/18185328/

6. Copie

Copie Member

Ended up cancelling mine and I got the 20tb duos since they have actual reds inside and warranty isn’t effected by shucking. Same price, bought 9 units (so 18 drives)

By the time I claim them through the business it brings them down to 68 bucks a drive. Not bad at all

terrastrife likes this.
  7. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Doesn't actually answer my question. I'd have no issues getting the case open, as I've done it before with other models. But people here are talking about taping off rails to make them compatible with desktop use, or to put in Synologies, and etc... is this actually a thing, and can I not just put it into a USB3 -> Sata enclosure without modifying it?

8. Copie

Copie Member

No. Needs the 3.3v mod done.

9. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Sorry misread your comment. If you get the whitelabel drives instead of a red, you might need to mod it to get it to work.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-the-33V-Pin-Issue-in-White-Label-Disks-/

10. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Just used a molex to SATA adapter, that's the easiest way to do it if you're not OCD about cable neatness.

11. cvidler

cvidler Member

Just don't use cheap crappy ones that catch fire.

12. insular

insular Member

all 6 of mine shipped. now i'm regretting not ordering 9. will be added to the 4 from the previous deal (thought about returning those).

now i need a new server to put them in!

13. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

depin the 3.3v line on the PSU end of a modular cable. If not modular, just cut a 1cm chunk out of the lead and tape it up.

14. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

EvilGenius likes this.
  15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I hope speed and silence isn't important to you. Did you check reviews of these drives? That said, that's a massive amount of storage for the price :thumbup:

16. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

Storage is paramount. Meh not that noisy, and speed doesn't matter as they'll mostly be written infrequently but read alot for movies and stuff.

What concerns me more is reliability lol. But 3 year warranty and running one of them is parity would do. If I manage to get 6 (at this point, i'll probably get 0 and have my order cancelled lol) I may sell one or two to fund the others a bit.

I'd probably leave them in the case to maintain warranty (I assume shucking it voids warranty) so I doubt I could get that many USB 3.0 ports anyway...

17. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

30 day Amazon warranty, WD don't do international. People shuck because you basically don't have a warranty outside of DOA to begin with.

18. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

It says 3 years warranty on the page and Amazon sell the item to Australia on amazon.com.au. If it's not supported by WD, then Amazon would have to honour the warranty I presume.

19. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

It's sold by Amazon US via AU (GST evasion lol), it's still the US store, a US product, and US Amazon warranty (which is stated as 30 days). Amazon make it clear as day that international warranty will vary by product and is out of their hands.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  20. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Its OK there's a chance its a pricing error. Someone above said they're shipping, my card hasn't been charged yet so fingers crossed.
    Should have bought 2 or 3 LOL