HDD prices

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Madengineer, Oct 23, 2011.

1. cvidler

cvidler Member

As covered, the minimum price for a drive is not dictated by the capacity, but the hardware to make it. - the case, the motor etc. That's largely the same for a 1TB drive as a 4TB drive as a 14TB drive.

A 1TB drive vs a 4TB drive may have less platters in it, but they're not the expensive parts.

'much' is debatable, but faster yes. modern drives often have more cache on them, and the aerial density is greater so data from the platters through the heads will be faster and better voice coil motors mean head movement is faster. it'll never be fast like SSDs are, but they have improved, and they're still much cheaper than SSDs (in GB/$ - price up a 4TB SSD).

2. Phido

Phido Member

Sustained transfers are up to what now 200-300mbs
    https://www.storagereview.com/seagate_ironwolf_14tb_nas_hdd_review

But often they are used in RAID so multiple drives. Seek times are anciently slow, but most random seek stuff is on ssd's now. so spinning discs are great at doing what they are made to do, store masses of data and sequentially run it out. or Run it in.

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

4. Azzan

Azzan Member

I can wait for cheap low-end SSDs like 2TB/4TB Samsung 860 QVO - $339/$699(550MB/s Read, 520MB/s Write) to drop half in prices. :) (maybe in next 2-3 years) so I can use them for internal backup storage.
    860 QVO is much slower than 970 EVO Plus(3500MB/s Read, 3300MB/s Write) but I think it's still much faster than the fastest HDD.

5. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Depends, if your assuming that the improvement is solely due to increasing linear density in BPI (bits per inch) as they may also improve the number of tracks per inch but since this figure is currently sitting around 100K TPI there's probably not much room for improvement there as what we have seen in the past is that the tracks are so close together already that we've ended up with shingled tracks instead, but if new technology came out that suddenly allowed them to say double the density then you would simply end up with hard drives with double the storage but the same performance if the BPI is unchanged.

For sequential speeds yes but for random 4K I/O's then the 10K RPM drives are still way faster, they also have much more powerful actuator motors so even if you have the same RPM and disk size the consumer drive might have a 5 millisecond access time to move the heads to the required position whereas the beefier enterprise drive motor might have a 4 millisecond access time.

Unfortunately, because the heads are all linked together its not possible to exactly align all the heads on the tracks at the same time due to the high track density involved and therefore there is only one head in operation at any one time. Seagate is working on having a separate motor for the top half of the platters and a second one for the bottom half and this will at least in theory double performance but I'm guessing there won't be any reading or writing with one unit until the other moves to the required position as the vibrations will knock the first one off track because as I understand it the motor moves the head roughly to the required track position and piezoelectric forces are used to deform the head arm and align it exactly, anyway we don't know how well this will all work out and may turn out to be unreliable.

6. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

But if you need to work in a high IO environment, why are you even still using HDDs?

7. neopheX

neopheX Member

I saw a deal that was listed on ozbargain a few days ago for a 10TB WD External for around $129US kicking myself I didn't jump on a few as it has since expired! I would have done a good ol' shucking as my PLEX server is going under an upgrade. And I think majority of them are white labels but are actually reds. Typical luck of mine lol

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    ChinoPD likes this.
  8. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

This was a pricing error. Amazon honored a few sales, most people (myself included) ended up with a $aud30 voucher

9. neopheX

neopheX Member

BestBuy just had one for the past 48 hours that I missed out on lol. Talk about slow right?

No pricing error on this one lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

sold out is useless though.

11. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

The recent ebay 20% sales have been alright. Prompted me to finally set up a NAS (synology DS918+), picked up 4x10tb Seagate ironwolf at $383 each from the computer alliance 20% off sale.

Not quite like the prices above but I'm pretty happy. Previously I had like 4 USB hdds of various 2-4TB sizes holding my crap, this is a much better solution

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  12. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Performance tanks on the QVO after you fill up the 30GB SLC buffer but having said that then 99% of the time its not an issue for most people as you'd only really notice it if say your copying your half terabyte steam folder over to a QVO SSD but this is the kind of thing you'd let run overnight anyway so its not worth bypassing the much cheaper QVO for an EVO that can do several hundred MB's. Also on the topic of EVO's my 250 GB 840 EVO does the same sort of speed as the QVO at about 70 MB's. The next gen 850 EVO's TLC speeds are 120GB = 150MB/s , 250GB = 300MB/s, 500GB = 500MB/s, 1TB = 520MB/s and 860 EVO's are about the same as well but given they are so cheap nowadays then people won't be buying the smaller and slower sizes as much as before and these slow MLC/TLC/QLC speeds generally aren't really noticed by them anyway for whatever sized OS based SSD they buy.

If someone needed to do say a video editing workstation and wanted to have a sustained write speed of anywhere from 500 MB's to 1 GB's for 4K or 8K video then a Raid 5 with say five lots of 1TB EVO's would get the job done but five lots of 1TB QVO's wouldn't at this present point in time but I suspect the next generation of QVO's should have a speed increase much like when the 840 EVO's were replaced with the 850's. With the SSD's dropping in price then they are going to get used more as data drives whereas at the moment because they are expensive they usually are just used as OS drives for most people so when that happens I suspect the manufacturers are going to have to quote the real underlying speeds otherwise there are going to be a lot of very upset people who are assuming and expecting high sustained write speeds.

Video editing is "a high IO environment" just not a lot of random IO's so could still be suited for HDD's for one person in a NAS given they are much cheaper and still have high sequential write speeds, the exception would be for the case when you have them in a NAS and then half a dozen people all attempt to use it by editing video at the same time so all the read/write requests get interleaved and then the heads thrash and performance tanks for this reason so at this point it probably would be a good idea to replace the HDD's in the NAS with at a minimum 1TB EVO's like in the example I just stated.

13. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

^I haven't actually been able to hit those speeds on my 500GB 850 EVO once the cache runs out, goes closer to 80MB/sec in under a minute. Haven't had a reason to hit the same limits on my 1TB yet.

14. thedirkdiggler

thedirkdiggler Member

after high TB size drives, looking at 10 TB + what is the best v price atm. Media drives.

15. garetz

garetz Member

I believe the best deal was

WD My Book Desktop External Hard Drive 10TB $129.84 + Delivery (Free with Prime) @ Amazon US via AU

however nothing approaching that is currently available.
    the next best was this in april

WD My Book Desktop External Hard Drive 10TB $228.45 + Delivery (Free with Prime) @ Amazon US via AU

currently you can get a WD Elements Desktop Hard Drive 10TB
    from amazon for $317.11 aud

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  16. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

Cheapest way to go seems to be WD 10TB My Book removed from the enclosure. Amazon AU have it for AU$401, don't know if that includes shipping. B&H have it for AU$344 including shipping. I'm checking it every day for a sale, I'll post here when it happens. They're usually around $20 to $50 off.

17. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

Weird, it just went up $70 on B&H. Amazon seem to have the cheapest right now.

18. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

19. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

Seem to be AU$50 cheaper if you get it from the US site? Honestly the pricing is a mess and I can't figure it out.

https://www.amazon.com/10TB-Element...563202666&s=gateway&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-3
    Say it's US$159.49, In Stock, requires Amazon Prime, free shipping to Australia if you have AU Prime and order it through amazon.com.au. But when you click the "Buy it on Amazon.com.au" it says there's a shipping charge of AU$18.83 on top of the AU$258.54 price (it should be AU$226 after conversion), and it says it ships from Amazon US anyway. Amazon AU Prime seems to be AU$6.99/month, so that would be $284.36 total. Unless Prime users are seeing a different page with free shipping. Not sure I see the point in ordering from the Australian site for the same thing shipped from the same place with $50 added to the price.

Valid until mid Wednesday afternoon, July 17th.

Edit: I tried setting the US page to Australian shipping, and the price changed to "$159.59 + $13.21 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Australia [details]". Clicking the Details link showed a price summary of "$197.98 + $13.21", which is the non-deal-of-the-day price. That site is a mess.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  20. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Prime members get free shipping on items from Amazon US (well, specifically from the Amazon Global Store, but for most intents that's the same thing) over AU$49, so yes, we are seeing a price without shipping.

By my reckoning the current Amazon US price + shipping works out to be $245.58 , vs $258.54 via Amazon AU. So yes, it's probably slightly cheaper to order from the US site, but nowhere near $50.

I think Prime gets you a slightly higher tier of shipping than would be included in that base price from Amazon US, too, so it's probably a wash once you account for that.

DrFrag likes this.