HDD prices

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Madengineer, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Blinky

Blinky Member

I don’t spose any of you multi 3.5” hard drive boys are rocking a Fractal Design 7 series cases are you?
    If so, where did you go shopping for the extra HDD Tray Kits, I am chasing Type B in black. Everything seems out of stock. :(

2. Blinky

Blinky Member

3. bcann

bcann Member

I've had 4 of the 7 14TB Drives turn up thus far, its funny, the order i placed first still hasn't shipped, but the other 2 orders that were placed days after have already arrived. They were pretty poorly packaged from amazon.

4. Phido

Phido Member

Yeh, 250Mb/s its about par for the 7200 rpm enterprise drives.
    My 5400 rpm 14tb drives only get 220 Mb/s.. however, given the enclosure and the use, plenty fast for my purpose, happy with the lower heat and power usage and noise.

5. Blinky

Blinky Member

That's the same as mine - I just received the "second order", the first order placed is still at Heathrow. <- Craziness

I don't think I have ever received a poorly pack box from Amazon.

6. Phido

Phido Member

Yeh all mine were pretty well packed in larger boxes with the airbags inside.

The HD I ordered from the US took forever to get here, the UK amazon ones seem to be a lot quicker.

7. bym007

bym007 Member

I have been using the 2x 16TB Exos for a few weeks in my HP Microserver G8.
    My only gripe with these drives is that they are running warmer than other disks (WD Green 4TB, so 5400rpm).

My server is housed in a wall mounted cabinet in my garage. Reported ambient/inlet temperature right now is 30C, WD disks are sitting at 36-37C, while the Exos are 42C.
    I can only think of these spinning at a high rpm, causing them to generate more heat.

Sometimes, I feel like I want to swap them out with equivalent WD disks.

8. Blinky

Blinky Member

Oh well, offer me a price and maaybe I can help you with offloading your 16TB EXOS drives.

MUTMAN and bym007 like this.
  9. bcann

bcann Member

Mine had 3 external hdd's in them, and about inch either side of the hdd's was air, and only some brown paper, no airbag or anything. looked like it had been drop kicked as well. the drop kicking is just auspost at their usual best around here though.

10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

a mate just opened up 2x 16tb seagates from amazon.uk and they're x16

11. Blinky

Blinky Member

Oh feck, maybe that's why my second order is late, it's coming for a different source.

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. cvidler

cvidler Member

A good case will last essentially forever. so the cost amortises down to nearly nothing. case in note below...

my 4224 is still running after many years (nearly 10 now?), I got a later model that came with updated backplane PCBs, there certainly was an issue with the early ones.
    it's had three separate systems (i.e. complete new motherboard etc.) running in it over the years. no need to change it.

MUTMAN likes this.
  13. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Yep. Lian Li PC25b here. Around 10yo. Started out with a c2q.

Before that was an actually pretty amazing case from a shitty brand. http://dansdata.com/cgcase.htm Used to ride it at lans :p

MUTMAN likes this.
  14. Phido

Phido Member

I don't understand why buy an ATX case, if you aren't going to fit:
    Any 3.5" drives
    Any 2.5" drives
    More than 1 graphics card
    Any expansion card

Why make atx cases where you could easily mount many 3.5" but don't have any mountings for any 3.5"

True, but the cases that cost $300-500 essentially have the same features as a $100 case. So why pay top dollar? no sure I see value there.

If you want a case that fits loads of HD a fractal design 7 XL can fit over 20 x 3.5" drives. Why buy a case that only fits 6 drives for $400 when there a plenty of 6 drive cases for ~$100..
    Or buy a norco/rack type setup.

15. T1tan

T1tan Member

amazon sub $300 for a wd elements 12tb hdd.
    https://www.amazon.com.au/Elements-...hild=1&keywords=wd+12tb&qid=1604012865&sr=8-1

I have a 3ru 15 bay supermicro case, after a minor mod of swapping the redundant psu's with a sfx 750w psu, and swapping stock fans with noctuas, I wouldn't have it any other way. The build quality really is top knotch.
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=S3ZuWDFrdkdpTl9DNjlhQ0VGbTV3aE13R0lEVzJR

But for ease of use (no modding) I should have stuck to a silverstone rackmount variant from scorptec. They're not too pricey and build quality is great.

16. thedirkdiggler

thedirkdiggler Member

so i ordered a 16tb. When i get it , what tests should i run the drive though before i take it out of the usb case

17. telefragd

telefragd Member

Windows - HD Sentinel
    *nix - badblocks

18. Blinky

Blinky Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  19. bcann

bcann Member

Shucks, i tawt i saw 98TB

All 7 * 14TB finally arrived

Attached Files:

20. Blinky

Blinky Member

Nice!
    But erh hmmm, why is there a tomato sauce bottle and box of tissues sitting within arms reach on the desk?
    Actually I retract that. I don’t wanna know!!