HDD prices

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Madengineer, Oct 23, 2011.

1. h0mer_

h0mer_ Member

Blinky reported the same thing from his purchase back in October:

Blinky likes this.
  2. thedirkdiggler

thedirkdiggler Member

after 16 tb + drives

I have 2 already with only 1 tb spare on the drive...

3. Blinky

Blinky Member

I just happened to look on Amazon and camel camel camel. You can still get the Seagate/ exos drives from them.

thedirkdiggler likes this.
  4. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

I've got a HP server arriving tomorrow with 12 300GB 15k SAS drives in it. I want to swap them out for something larger soonish. Does anyone have any experience with the P420i RAID controller and what size drives it can support? I'm not sure what cache it is

Ideally I'd like to get a couple of 16TB drives to start with, but I don't really want to go down that path if it maxes out at 10TB or something similar.

From what I've read online, it seems early firmware versions support up to a max of 2.2TB but later firmware lets you exceed that.

5. cvidler

cvidler Member

that controller is so old it should be in the trash responsible e-waste recovery.

quick google shows this thread on the HP forums: https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLia...Limitations-10TB-HGST-drives-not/td-p/7029829

even an 8TB drive won't work.

6. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

Yeah I saw that one. I've seen other threads where people have had no issues running 10TB drives, so it might be a case of suck it and see :Paranoid:

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

problem is years ago HP stopped letting people get firmware updates unless they have a current support contract ($$$), so if you got a card with an old firmware you're stuck with a paperweight.

I mentioned a few pages back here, I had to upgrade from a much newer card than that P410, to something modern to get my DC14's working.

8. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

lucky you, all the HP stuff I have falls under this note (copied from that page).
    entitlement required, no download.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

Err that sucks.

I guess the Gen9 still makes them money, compared to my Gen8

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  11. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

I think that most of these cards are simply either re-badged or made specifically to order LSI controllers. If its one that runs on the ancient LSI 1068 chipset like say a 3081E-R card then it won't be able to use drives > 2.2TB under any circumstances according to the advice I read from LSI's website.

12. Edward05

Edward05 Member

looking to get some new drives for plex server, 8TB and up looking get get 2 drives, Non raid setup

what should i get ?

13. power

power Member

thankfully you only need one server with entitlement to get access to everything.

14. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

I've been wondering the same. I've been monitoring prices on a spreadsheet;

Code:
                    Per HDD        Capacity    HDD $/TB
    8TB Seagate     $309            8             $39 
    10TB Seagate    $429            10            $43 
    10TB WD         $478            10            $48 
    12TB Seagate    $514            12            $43 
    12TB WD         $628            12            $52 
    14TB Seagate    $698            14            $50 
    14TB Wd         $699            14            $50 
    16TB Seagate    $788            16            $49 
    16TB WD         $869            16            $54 
    18TB Seagate    $938            18            $52 

15. h0mer_

h0mer_ Member

8, 14 & 16TBs are in stock, if you want to shuck drives from some USB enclosures?

The 16TBs, at $425 each today from UK Amazon, are reportedly containing the high-end server EXOS Enterprise drives for quite a few months now...

How much were you budgeting for, for the drives?

16. Edward05

Edward05 Member

Not to sure on price range ATM, I use my main desktop as the plex server as well, So want something quite, will probs get X2 8TB drives should last awhile and be enough space will be bought at separate times, would prefer to just get the drives without the external case, CBF ripping cases apart

h0mer_ likes this.
  17. Edward05

Edward05 Member

h0mer_ what model numbers come with the EXOS Enterprise drives ? i see a few different model numbers

Edit:

Prolly just grab an 10Tb ironwolf next week unsure whether to get the pro or none pro

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  18. Blinky

Blinky Member

Mine = ST16000NM001G-2KK103
    https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B08899GVT6/

Listing from the web below =
    Exos Enterprise X16
    Standard Model FastFormat (512e/4Kn)
    ST16000NM001G
    Interface 6Gb/s SATA
    Capacity 16TB / 16000GB
    Alternate MPNs: 2KK103-003

You can see what the different model numbers refer to on the product brief.
    https://www.seagate.com/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/exos-x16-DS2011-1-1904US-en_US.pdf

Note 1: FastFormat models ship in 512e format state. When switching from 512e to 4Kn by executing the FastFormat routine, all data on the drive will be deleted. Note that data must be aligned to 4K sectors to see improved performance in 4Kn fomat.

MUTMAN likes this.
  19. Blinky

Blinky Member

It's mostly the support levels; 5 to 3 years and Rescue Data Recovery Service Plan compared to None (Iron Pro Vs Non-Pro) If you are in a high noise/vibration environment grab the 'Pro'.

You can grab SeaTools here: https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/
    Use it to grab your serial number from the "basic info" test and take that and punch it into here:
    https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/warranty-and-replacements/

You will get varied responses depending on ('Pro - not Pro' on the Ironwolf product) product.
    The Exos drives, well Seagate is hedging its bets on the shucked Exos drive serial numbers.

[​IMG]

Just don't shout at your spin'n rust and you'll be fine ...

MUTMAN likes this.
  20. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

They are not going to come down anytime soon even though most people are swapping out (if they haven't done so already) their main PC HDD's which are usually 0.5/1/2 TB's in size for equivalent SSD's but when you look at demand for the larger ones then kindly read this statement by Seagate.

There were record exabyte capacity shipped numbers, at 97.2EB – well up on the year-ago’s 71.3EB. Seagate reckons nearline drive capacity shipped will grow 35-40 per cent Y/Y.

I guess also that there's probably not going to be any change to that rate of increase in the foreseeable future excerpt perhaps to accelerate even further and the other thing is that clearly hard drives as a whole aren't a dying technology and will be around for a long time to come. It probably also means that the $40-$50 price you pay per Terabyte isn't going to change much either and if anything may increase slightly as well.