HDD prices

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Madengineer, Oct 23, 2011.

1. cvidler

cvidler Member

in the consumer space, spinning rust will get rarer and rarer as SSDs around the 2-4TB mark prices fall. after all that's pretty much what 99% of people need, and even then that need drops as more and more of regular peoples stuff is in the cloud and media is streamed instead of downloaded/owned/kept.

the tiny niche market that's OCAU, who want big storage at home, will be fighting with AWS/GCP/Azure/BackBlaze etc. for HDDs production capacity. and they don't have to worry about budget because someone else is paying for that storage.

2. Edward05

Edward05 Member

its relatively quite here in the house, so you would suggest the non pro then ?

3. Blinky

Blinky Member

That’s what you gleaned? Ok I’ll cop that on the chin as my bad, I need to be more didactorial. Let me think, ok do this.
    Buy two of the external drives that have the Exos grade drives inside.
    Shuck only one of them, leave the other one just as it is.
    Also buy one of the hdd mount kits, they are cheap, get them from eBay/ Amazon.
    This is what you are looking for; https://www.ebay.com.au/c/1809149112

Turn the usb drive on weekly or monthly (depending on your data set change frequency) and use something like robocopy to backup your data, then turn the external drive off. If you don’t need a backup plan then just buy the one drive, fly butt naked and disregard all this bit.
    Oh, if you haven’t used robocopy before it might be a bit daunting. This might help or just use your Google-Fu powers.

Hope that helps, it’s a public post so open for discussion and encouraging other approaches, but as a two drive strategy I feel that it’s pretty sound. It is always open to human error though ;)

Throw up the exact size and budget you need to cater for and see what the guys in here suggest. They are pretty switched on with the state of play.

MUTMAN likes this.
  4. Blinky

Blinky Member

5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

if 12's are enough thats a good price. but you know at (roughly) the same tb/$ you might as well get the 16's

Blinky likes this.
  6. Blinky

Blinky Member

Woah, if you were going to buy a “Exos 16TB shuck” do it now, cuz one of the links just went up over $100ish.

MUTMAN likes this.
  7. Blinky

Blinky Member

I thought I had a win with the global access to Newegg and had got the 12TB Seagates down to $22/TB delivered, but they were showing without tax.

In the end it was $24/TB for guys running 12TB drives.

[​IMG]

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

if i jump into newegg i see those at 290 inc gst
    but no stock

9. Blinky

Blinky Member

Yep.
    I’m just awake now at 12.15pm and got a message to remove the ones I had sitting in my cart since 4.30am due to stock change. ?:( ?

MUTMAN likes this.
  10. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

Do they have the EXOS drives in them too?

Does anyone have any info on power consumption? (Seagate website is blocked here unfortunately :rolleyes:)

My current seagate 15K SAS drives use 15W each :Paranoid:

11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

unknown on the exos, id assume no, just a white label ironwolf is my guess

power on the helium filled drives is much better than older smaller drives
    my ironwolf 10tb are under 8watts average operating.
    id guess the 12 to 18s arnt different as its just higher density, not a platter count increase

12. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

Thanks! I managed to get onto Seagate's site eventually; the EXOS drives are 5W average. That would save me around $400 a year in electricity compared to the current drives :wired: (assuming I replaced them all)

And considering I could fit the entire contents of the current drives into a single modern EXOS drive 5 times over, an upgrade would be definitely worthwhile. I'm considering 4x12TB in RAID 10 for 24TB usable space :thumbup:

That would run at ~20W rather than the current 180W. About $550 better off! They'd pay for themselves in a couple of years

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Yep, i ran the running costs analysis a couple of years ago when looking at the 10tb helium drives.
    redudced drive count and lower operating power meant the drives will have paid for themselves in under 3 years :thumbup:

for average home use raid 10 is a waste, IMO
    the average nas will be limited to 100MBs due to the network so a stripe isnt needed. the raw drives will read and write largish files at 200+. more than ample for (sane) home use
    a parity drive (R5) is helpful, but not a backup

14. Blinky

Blinky Member

All the new stock is EXOS, same as their bigger brothers. But there is not as many done as the bigger drives. If you do buy, make sure to test it before shucking.
    If you have reddit open search for data_horders, larger results pool there. I can't check from here for you.

Caffeine and MUTMAN like this.
  15. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

Interesting point. Would you recommend RAID 1 then?

My server has two 10GBE ports, but everything else is 1GBE so you're correct on that point (I don't even have the SFP modules for it at the moment so I have a dual 1GBE NIC installed as well :Paranoid:)

16. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

I would want some form of drive redundancy in case of failure in my NAS.

I would also want snapshotting to protect against any erroneous overwriting or deleting of data.

MUTMAN likes this.
  17. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

The synology software keeps 32 revisions of everything in there, so that shoud suffice :)

18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i try to keep it as simple as i can, while still feeling like im doing 'something clever' ...
    DS918+, raid5 btrfs on 4x 10tb ironwolfs
    lose some speed especially on small file writes. but everything else has been great so far (two years + now)
    scheduled scrape every 3 months, but I've read i should be doing this monthly ?

19. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

There seems to be a quasi-religious level of debate over whether RAID 5 (or parity RAID in general) is the best or worst thing ever :Paranoid:

I have originally planned RAID 5 but was leaning away based on some stuff I'd read about the chances of unrecoverable read errors when rebuilding on large drives.

And then there's software vs hardware RAID; everyone was on the H/W RAID train until recently when it was declared that S/W RAID was the preferred solution now with modern CPU power.

At the moment I have H/W RAID 5, exposed to ESXI as a single volume, running XPenology in a VM, which sees the assigned drive space as a single volume and declares that it is Basic (Without data protection)

20. power

power Member

raid is excellent in a server, but not raid 5. drive fails, notification sent, drive ordered and replaced just continue on as if nothing happened. most consumer setups with raid are never setup correctly because the people setting them up have nfi what they are doing.