HDD prices

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Madengineer, Oct 23, 2011.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

no-one will ever need more than 640gb ....

LARRY314, mikezilla2 and Caffeine like this.
  2. LARRY314

LARRY314 Member

are the seagate ext hdd (containing exo's) better , or the WD elements ext drives ?
    i was thinking to get 2 x 16TB or 14Tb or 12Tb , plus a synology Ds920+
    WD elements $445 amazon, ($31.81/Tb , Seagate 16TB exo $695 ($43.44/TB)

-what is the ocau member discount ?
    i was looking at amazon for the hdd's and the nas

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

if you're referring to my comment earlier then I know someone* will be selling a 918+ secondhand in the forsale forums here
    probably get listed on Sunday arvo

someone may be me :D

4. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Member

one interesting thing to Note is the 2nd Drive came with no software and a different power adaptor( Ktech) iv not Cracked it yet but i wonder if its one of the lesser Drives ....

5. bym007

bym007 Member

I have been using 2x shucked Seagate 16TB EXOs in my Unraid for a year now without any issues. Being 7200rpm, they run slightly warmer than say my 4TB WD Reds (5400rpm).
    Otherwise, no issues so far.

6. Blinky

Blinky Member

Do the WD Elements have an Enterprise drive inside them? The EXOS are classed as an Enterprise Hard Drive.

7. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Member

i was told the elements are Taken From the ones that Had to be repaired after rolling off the Belt ....

8. LARRY314

LARRY314 Member

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  9. Blinky

Blinky Member

10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

not so much non-standard but some portable/external drives are a native usb interface.
    personally ive only had one wd like this

11. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

The 10 TB WD elements that I've bought so far have had White drives which are almost identical to Red drives and have normal SATA connections and presumably also Helium inside. They probably are enterprise type drives of some description because they had the 3.3 Volts issue so I had to power it with a molex to SATA adapter instead of directly off a SATA power cable. I presume different sizes are the same but I suggest you just get the model number off the box itself and google a review of it as you should find a teardown easy enough on Youtube or some article review.

Don't know about the connectors on portable drives as they could be either but I think pretty much all 2.5" drives nowadays are SMR (shingled).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  12. LARRY314

LARRY314 Member

Thanks hobartas, from what you have found the larger WD ext drives are good. The 3.3v issue doesn’t matter when they are used in a nas?
    I was thinking of the WD 14TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive, USB 3.0 - WDBWLG0140HBK-NESN

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  13. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Depends on the NAS I guess especially how old it is as I've noticed I've got older computer power supplies around 5-10 years old that do have the additional 3.3V lines existing on the SATA power lines but why they were there in the first place I have no idea as I'm guessing they probably thought that hard drives would either (a) get more power hungry as they got bigger and need the additional juice, or (b) with miniaturization of integrated circuits perhaps they then may need less voltage and hence perhaps drop the 5V line in favor of the 3.3V line instead so in that case it made sense to supply all three voltages and the hard drives could pick what they wanted to use.

However, I think the newer consumer power supplies don't have them any more which fortunately makes this problem a non-issue and I guess that would also (hopefully) apply to newer NAS's as well but all you can really do is buy one of these 14 TB hard drives and try it out and see if it spins up and if it does then go out and buy more with that same exact model number. I'm guessing that all the drives in that range are probably still going to be white drives. If you have an older NAS where the drives are affected by the power supply with this issue and the connectors are hard wired your best option with the drives is to cover the pins on the hard drive with the Kapton tape method.

14. cvidler

cvidler Member

It was part of the standard for SATA power connectors originally.

Stupidly - never break backwards compatibility, someone decided, to re-use those pins - changed the standard, and here we are.

What they should've done, is do it via a command on the data cable like they do all other power saving features. that would've been backwards compatible, the 3.3v line could've remained or been removed, but would not have caused power up issues on newer drives.

as for why, your second guess is more on the ball - it was a forward thinking decision. all the logic in PC's have been reducing voltages over the years. CPUs, memory etc. used to run from 5v directly!, then it was 3.3v, then lower and lower and lower, now CPU vcores are <1v, memory in the 1.0-1.3v range. and most addons are 5v (USB for example) or 3.3v (e.g PCI express, they get 5 and 12v feeds too, but the logic is 3.3 or lower).

mikezilla2 and Blinky like this.
  15. Blinky

Blinky Member

16. T1tan

T1tan Member

Blinky likes this.
  17. bym007

bym007 Member

I ordered two of STEB16000402 in Aug 2020 from Amazon and received the Seagates Exos 16TB Helium filled, + 7200rpm versions. Slightly louder and warmer than my previous WD Red 4TBs (being 5400 rpm), but since they sit in my rack in garage, I dont really care much.

All in all happy, and waiting for prices to normalise, before ordering 2 more....

18. Blinky

Blinky Member

Yes those are the old ones and I was asking about the new ones. T1tan answered it correctly in the post above yours.

19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

you ordering a few Blinky ?

20. Blinky

Blinky Member

Just having a shuffle around first. Do you want a couple?