HDD prices

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Madengineer, Oct 23, 2011.

1. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Are you talking about the shingled ones that were sold as normal ones? The SMR ones nowadays are Red's and the CMR ones are Red Pro's.

2. sic_vl2000

sic_vl2000 Member

No sorry, was talking about the old WD Red 3TB 3.5" internals, I've not purchased a external for a few years now.

3. millsy

millsy Member

So in terms of the current market, what's been some decent price points to keep an eye out for? My old HP Microserver and 3tb drives are finally starting to get to their end of their useful life and I'm looking to build a new fileserver. Was thinking it seems 5x8tb is the sweet spot but checking ocau's opinion! I'd not want to go less than 40tb raw space, my previous 15tb setup lasted me for 6ish years so i figure going triple again should last another 6, drives pending :) Will be either going again down the ZFS path or going down the BTRFS path, so I think about all I want to avoid is SMR

4. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

I haven't been following the HDD market ... closely, the only comment I will make is that I don't have enough money to purchase the drives that I want! I'm thinking of this enclosure:
    SINGLE enclosure for 5x HDD with USB 3.1 (Gen 2) Type-C and five of the largest capacity drive I can afford. (Which right now is zero Tb.)

My 'server' is in an uncooled cupboard, so having the drives in an external enclosure means I separate the heat away from the computer and I will put the drive enclosure outside of the cupboard.

As to ZFS vs BRTFS, see my most recent comment in this thread: Increase storage size and move from mdraid+LVM to ZFS - feedback and comments please

Edit: there are many articles on CMR vs SMR, I think I linked a few in my thread, TL;DR, you really don't want SMR drives in any kind of RAID array.

5. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    MUTMAN and Kosti like this.
  6. Blinky

Blinky Member

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    MUTMAN likes this.
  7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

hang on. links arnt for the price in the screen cap ???
    you got secret codes ??

Blinky likes this.
  8. Blinky

Blinky Member

Yeah yeah I’m getting there, I don’t know how to link from an iPhone app - here ya go, check that pls.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K98VFXT

mikezilla2 and MUTMAN like this.
  9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

ok. thats a good price :thumbup:

mikezilla2 and Blinky like this.
  10. millsy

millsy Member

Dangit, got excited until I realised that was USD lol

mikezilla2 likes this.
  11. Blinky

Blinky Member

Yeah, screenshot for the price in our money. Newegg has a solution as well but a bit more expensive. These are the newer tech of X18.

mikezilla2 and millsy like this.
  12. bym007

bym007 Member

13. millsy

millsy Member

Man 425 would be nice... and to think i thought that was a lot this time last year :(

14. Blinky

Blinky Member

Yes I got some at 426 as well, but they were shuck ones, not like X18 proper ones like the price listed is about.

15. millsy

millsy Member

I'll just have to keep hanging out for a better special! Hopefully something crops up :)

16. Blinky

Blinky Member

Those EXOS 18TB X18 I linked to earlier can't have been too bad of value, as there was 15 left when I posted and now they are marked as "in stock soon".

17. Blinky

Blinky Member

Attached Files:

bym007 and MUTMAN like this.
  18. Turbine

Turbine Member

19. Blinky

Blinky Member

They are $600 on staticice, maybe offer them for sale on Facebook marketplace or Gumtree? - and then rebuy?
    I'm sorry I can't help beyond finding the special. Don't forget though, you'll need two accounts with NewEgg to get two lots of discounts.

Actually, forget all that^ because I just checked and now they are marked as out of stock, so your buy at $554 is a good one. :):thumbup:

20. Turbine

Turbine Member

All good cheers yeah I went to buy more and saw the out of stock. At least now I know what they can get down to.
    Was just frustrating because I've been monitoring prices on 16/18tb drives for what feels like a year now...waiting for the CHIA prices to die down.