HDD prices

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Madengineer, Oct 23, 2011.

1. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

You forget what of hdd failures and folks need replacement hdds ? It isn't just for expanding storage capacity but also for maintaining existing storage capacity in event of hdd failures :)

2. Oz.

Oz. Member

Yeah, but you know what I mean, as soon as people can't get something, they have to have it, no matter what. Like all the, "I was just about to order..."

I just posted a Samsung off for warranty replacement, hopefully I'll get a store credit like last time, and this time it will be twice as last time. :Pirate:

3. toXin

toXin Member

You're a sheep if you want more HDD space? Right-o.

I was actually going to buy a 1TB this weekend, hopefully the place I'm going hasn't upped it's prices.

4. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

It's partially that we're* all constantly looking at upgrades, tossing up whether or not to spend the cash. When something comes along that forces prices up for possibly the next 6 months, it's easy to regret pushing off of the upgrade. I know what you're getting at in terms of people overestimating their storage needs, though. I've seen people INSIST on a certain capacity, only to see their system a year later with <10% of that filled.

Interestingly enough, being completely different tech that performs the same function, SSD prices are still going down. Depending on how long the HDD drought lasts and how far prices rise (if they continue to do so), the gap in pricing between SSDs and HDDs could close dramatically. Could we see a rise in SSD usage? Could we start seeing slower, higher capacity SSDs?

Only time will tell. But one thing is for certain - OCZ, Corsair, Intel and Crucial are responsible for the floods. It's a conspiracy, I tell. you.

*I'm talking about OCAU members and enthusiasts, here. Not just general consumers.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  5. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

For those of you who want 2tb samsung drives, catchoftheday.com.au has externals for $89.95. :thumbup:

6. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

7. chip

chip Member

Those 2TB F4EGs I got from PLE for $69 are looking like a hell of a bargain now.

Hope the people in Thailand are OK.

8. Garido

Garido Member

Yeah I'm the same here. I hope they are okay. Parts of the capital city have been inundated, I hope the recovery can be swift.

9. josh_676

josh_676 Member

10. Sundarjee77

Sundarjee77 Member

Be sure to tell me that in 5 years, that 80gb IDE seagate I got years and years ago sure was a great investement!

I hate how small hdds are, 3TB? I really dont want to have more than one storage drive, running two atm and its annoying and I dont want to run a JBOD...

wtb 10tb hdd.

11. josh_676

josh_676 Member

Little bit of sarcasm behind what I said, I'll be selling the two 3 TB's when they turn up as I have picked up a couple of 2 TB drives for 80 bucks a pop.

12. toXin

toXin Member

Far out. Went to North Rocks today and saw 500GB HDDS for $90-$100.

13. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Good time to sell HDD's. :thumbup:

I just checked Ebay and even 2nd hand 500's are going for a decent price. Hmmm, might have to put some HDD's up on Ebay. :D

14. davros123

davros123 Member

crap! Should have held onto those 14 1.5TB's I let go for $45-$50... :)

15. nogi

nogi Member

16. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

17. Budginator

Budginator Member

Thanks for the heads up guys, I bought two, just waiting on their arrival :)

18. dannok

dannok Member

Dick smith still have seagate expansion 2TB at $99. Free delivery if you order on the website too.

19. uncle_jim

uncle_jim Member

Damn. I've been to-ing aand fro-ing on four of the Hitachi externals and got approval from the wife. I was going to order them last night from eStore but decided to wait till this morning.

Now they've gone from $149 to $220.

Balls.

Oh well, there's still the Scorptec $179 deal I guess.

20. Reaper

Reaper Member

Ok, was it all hdd's, or just 3.5" affected?

I ask this because the 2.5" stayed the same while the 3.5 went through the roof, but now the 2.5" have shot up. So just scumbag rip offs or not?