HDMI over IP

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by g@z, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:38 AM.

1. g@z

g@z Member

Hi,

Looking at trying to get a HDMI signal across an oval. Has anyone tried HDMI over IP devices and if so, how do they perform? I've read 1080p at 30 fps is 2 gig, so wondering if these devices will impact video quality much. Cheers!

Regards,
    g@z.

2. Zee

Zee Member

Depends on what you are trying to send.

A few of the better brands will allegedly do 4k @ 60fps over 100m of cat6. Hope you have deep pockets, though... As for video quality, they are all compressed. Will you notice? That depends on who is watching, and how educated they are.

Z...

3. OP
    OP
    g@z

g@z Member

Ideally I'd like to pump live video to a football scoreboard on the other side of an oval. I video games from one side of the oval (due to the height and the sun being behind me) and the screen is on the other side, so it needs to get to the other side somehow. I'm thinking of running some Ubiquity NanoBeam ACs. Running fibre is a bit too expensive at the moment. It would also play adds as well as scores etc.

Regards,
    g@z

4. Zee

Zee Member

I think you'd probably be better off with Cat6/7. How long is the run? Obviously not a straight line.

Z...

5. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Rather than hdmi over IP you might want to consider HDBaseT, which supports 4k, 3d etc and doesnt completely hose your network. Basically it uses its own protocol on half the pairs and lets you still have hundred megabit ethernet on the rest of the pairs. It's what all the projector systems at my uni run on.

g@z likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    g@z

g@z Member

I know a cable would be better, but it's getting the trench dug around the outside of a football oval that's going to be a major pain and cost, plus asking the council as they own it all, planning permits etc etc. I'll guess I'll have to get it costed.

Regards,
    g@z.

7. OP
    OP
    g@z

g@z Member

Sounds great, but a quick google seems to be pricey!

Regards,
    g@z.

8. nico6

nico6 Member

What resolution is the footy scoreboard/screen? Usually they are pretty low res even at large sizes, so wifi should do fine in that case (just don't send 4K to a 480 or 720 monitor)

9. Zee

Zee Member

I actually need to clarify, whenever I think of HDMI over data it's HDBaseT.

Z...

10. Zee

Zee Member

Yes - do you want it to work?

Re the Ubiquiti - I have no experience send HDBaseT (or any signal) wirelessly int hat way.

Any wireless method I have tried in the past has been native tot he manufacturer, failed dismally, and I always ended up just running cables in the end. Having said that, bandwidth should be fine, especially if that is all it's doing, and I've heard those things to be pretty reliable.

Z...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 8:16 PM
  11. nico6

nico6 Member

10 years ago I sent composite video 20m using Dick Smith AV senders for trivia nights. I'm sure the tech has improved hugely since, but the resolution of outdoor monitors hasn't really moved much. Sending low res, say, 70m across a field must be possible in 2019

12. OP
    OP
    g@z

g@z Member

All in the planning stage, but I doubt the screen will be 1080p, looking more like SD at the most which is just VGA 640 x 480 with a P6 LED pitch. Even then I think the display people are pitching 480 x 288 at P10 led pitch, which seems useless to me if you want video at all. Everything's a trade off - lower resolution is brighter in direct sunlight and cheaper. Higher resolution not as bright but more expensive and gives you a better picture and can show video that's not going to be poo. But no point getting more pixels if I can't feed it. One supplier is saying TP Link gear is the best! No idea what bitrate they can pass, but at work we use the Ubiquiti nano's already and I think one link gets around 600 meg. I'm guessing that should be ample after googling some more and finding out the bitrate for SD video is under 2 meg. 600 meg should be plenty.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Regards,
    g@z.