HDR First attempt, Evo 6 NEW PICS!!

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by BitAddict, Sep 5, 2008.

1. BitAddict

BitAddict Member

Sorry to resurrect and older thread and hope you guys aren't getting sick of these yet, rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd use this to look at the progress I've made on them. I'd like to thank everyone for their C&C from the original thread, the original pic is still in this post right down the bottom:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thought I'd post this shot up and get some pointers on what I could improve, I took this shot one early morning a little while ago, only processed the shot last night. I shot this handheld because I thought I could hold still enough to have all shots alligned properly, that wasn't the case though, tripod next time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  2. wahoo84

wahoo84 Member

Pretty nice shot.

Could brighten it a tad I guess but I personally find the horizon annoying in that it's only slightly slanted. If would've been better if it was more slanted or not slanted at all imho.

btw, is that glow around the car a result of PP? I guess it contrasts with the sky a tad too much, it's quiet noticeable.

3. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Not bad but the haloing around the car ruins it.

4. SgtCaboose

SgtCaboose Member

Yeah it makes me tilt my head :lol:

I like it, maybe a little more subtlety would be good.

5. placenta

placenta Member

I thought the halo around the car was intended that way.. to show a bit of a heavenly feature of the car as if it came from the sky and landed on the shore.Ready for the someone with the keys..:D

6. OP
    OP
    BitAddict

BitAddict Member

Interesting, things I wouldn't notice but looking at the pic I see what you guys mean. I simply used photomatix wasn't done in photoshop as I have no idea how to process HDR properly that way, mate of mine shot the same thing as well, post as comparison below:

[​IMG]

7. pop4

pop4 Member

I like the camera angle from your shot more than your mates shot, but the slanted horizon just doesn't seem right. Perhaps a bit less haloing around the car as well, though I don't mind that amount of haloing you've got there right now.

Overall, good effort, I kinda like it.

8. J.J.

J.J. Member

I think I just wet my pants!!!!!!!!!!

*Note: I love Evos*

9. xhanatos

xhanatos Member

I prefer the pov of the first shot but dislike the intense halo..

love how the clouds frame the car in the 2nd shot.. and better PP imo :thumbup:

10. Julz

Julz Member

no offence but i like your mate's HDR better - yours is too contrasty imo

i love the evo tho! my favourite car of all time - a rare gem worth collecting :)

11. fuller2002

fuller2002 Member

Really? I like the colours in the first one much better, but as others have said the halo is its downfall, fix that up and your good. How did you get the halo? by polarizing it?

12. OP
    OP
    BitAddict

BitAddict Member

No idea eh, I processed it with Photomatix and never used it before, everytime I process something in it it comes out different, it's kind of like rolling some dice haha.

Yeah the second picture has much more subtle PP by someone that actually knows what they are doing, the PP on that was done in photoshop to start with for the tone mapping etc, then a tiny bit of LR to finish it off. I have a print of another shot that Nige took (car is mine :)) with a very similar angle to the first shot in this thread, it's very very nice.

13. jesh

jesh Member

I prefer the first shot personally, but I like a bit of punch and contrast. Can't believe you handheld it, it still looks pretty sharp! :thumbup: Nice work.

I feel your pain with the halos, i use it every now and then for realestate stuff and I always get halos with skies, never worked out a way to avoid it unfortunately :/

14. undef

undef Member

the first one has a great compositon.. don't even mind the tilt so much..

but the PP.. sigh

the PP on the first shot is way to heavy handed.. while the second lacks punch

1st one looks like 30 seconds of switching between dodge and burn...
    you got a dirty sock coloured sky..
    blowout on the horizon near the rear wheel.. right next to the wheel and a clump of grass which have lost details..

the rear end of the car looks like somone torched it.. while the front bar is way too bright/clean in comparison...

good PP takes time... open the image in raw... open one as shot.. and then two with exposure +1 and -1... drag those two over the first one. mask them and then take your time and paint them in right... and you won't end up with halos.. unless you really want them as part of the desired effect...

15. supaboi

supaboi Member

Nice car. Love the CE28 Time Attacks, my all time favourite rims

16. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

I agree with Julz, the first shot looks alright and it will more than likely get more ooohs and ahhhs from general public but I prefer the second shot more. A properly executed HDR processed image shouldn't look like it's been processed to the average viewer. It's merely a tool to keep darker and brighter areas in a more even lighting composition.

17. davemelb

davemelb Member

I like things a bit more wild and crazy and this is how I'd do it. Photoshopped:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Without going too dramatically over the top, I'd probably settle with this.

[​IMG]

18. wrobel

wrobel Member

:thumbup: looks good

19. Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister Member

Too much PP for me davemelb and OP. The light smoothing is too low (hence the halos) but I can appreciate that's the look you're going for.

20. OP
    OP
    BitAddict

BitAddict Member

Ahh ok, that's one mystery solved, will bump up the lightsmoothing a bit more. As I said, I had and have pretty much sfa idea on processing HDR, will have another go taking peoples advice into consideration.

Hell yeah, really like the ones above too, nice work