1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. nc006

nc006 Member

Hey, i am after recommendations on a pair of sports canal-phones with some sort of hook that goes either over the ear or in the ear to stop them falling out. Am after canal phones for the isolation aspect as i wear them while mowing the lawn etc. Not wanting to spend heaps of money.

2. Scrubd

Scrubd Member

Hi all,

I was planning to get my first pair of audiophile headphones and was deciding between the Sennheiser 598 or the new Audio Technica M50x.

Personally, I like the M50x because of the looks (blue limited edition one), but I heard in times of quality, the 598 really lives up to its name. I was wondering which would be the best to go for.

In terms of pricing, both are quite similar.

Thanks in advance for help!

3. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Well one's open backed the other closed. Do you need isolation from outside noise or not? Personally I think most of Senns mid range stuff is overpriced.

4. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

IMO the DM+ isn't a huge step up from the likes of the STX. I'd recommend going a bit further and grabbing something like the QDAC.
    Also, the HE400 and HE500 sound pretty different: )

Sennheiser OCX685?

I haven't tested the M50X yet but I'm guessing it's going to be pretty similar to the M50. If your budget stretches up to $300 there are some pretty awesome models like the Beyer DT250, Custom One Pro, AKG K550 and AD900 that are hard to beat for their respective prices.
    The HD598 aren't bad - I find them a little laid back for rock myself and tend to prefer the alternatives.

5. Omnomnom

Omnomnom Member

My DT880's have developed an unfortunate crackle, looking to replace them with something similar sounding, up to ~$300. Any recommendations? (m-stage/dacmagic bts)

6. Manusdei

Manusdei Member

does any one know if there's a set of wireless headphones, that accept multiple inputs?

I'm looking to connect my amp, and my PC to them, and be able to switch between them depending on what I'm using (doesn't matter if its a manual switch for that)

Guess I only really need a single 3.5mm, and optical input? Also preferably doesn't have a stand for charging, just a cable to plug into them.

7. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Beyers have a 2 year warranty, plus getting them fixed might not cost as much as a new pair. It could also just be hairs causing buzzing - take the pads off and give them a clean if you haven't already :)

8. Omnomnom

Omnomnom Member

They are long out of warranty. Where can I look to have repairs done? Do Beyer service local? (Already cleaned out the hair but didn't work :upset:)

9. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Yep - SVL in Silverwater can help you out :)

10. Omnomnom

Omnomnom Member

Thanks! :thumbup:

11. nc006

nc006 Member

Cheers for that.

Also, how are the headphone cables measured, from jack to ear piece or jack to Y-split

12. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Usually jack to earpiece.

13. Refl3ct

Refl3ct Member

Hey guys,

What's currently a recommended headset that will be used primarily for listening to audio (such as games, videos, regular PC stuff, etc.) and also for VoIP/Skype?

I'd personally prefer them wired. I don't really have a budget so long as the price is reasonable, perhaps <$200 should cover most options. I guess the main thing is that it has a good quality microphone too. Super excellent audio quality isn't a must, my hearing isn't the best anyway.

I am not too fussed by appearance however they must be comfortable over long periods of time.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated :)

14. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

TL;DR rant, scroll to the bottom two sentences for my question.

I'm not happy. My Audiofly AF56m's have failed (again) within a year.

First the paint was worn off within a couple of weeks (this was expected), then somehow the fabric sheathing developed a kink, which eventually split, exposing an ugly vinyl loop, and slightly shortening one side in the process. Last week the button fell off (as happened on my last pair), but this time I didn't superglue it in time before they died entirely. The headphone jack broke internally a couple of months ago (but still worked fine), I'm pretty sure this was caused by large pockets where my phone could move around and wedge itself in the pocket, eventually breaking it.

One side has been a tiny bit intermittent occasionally, but usually this was down to either the phone's headphone jack being dirty, or the TRRS connector on the headphones themselves. In the case of the latter, some alcohol (or saliva/water when not available) did the trick.

But today, I hopped on the bus, and they worked fine. A couple of minutes later, I had to get off to change bus, so I put the phone with headphones attached into my pocket, and caught that bus. When I got my phone back out, one side was completely dead. No amount of wriggling any part of the cable brought it back. I did, however, manage to make both sides work again, but now the volume is so dim as to be almost inaudible. :mad:

I'm getting pretty damn sick of canalphones. I don't abuse them, but I use the hell out of them. Despite that, I've never had one pair last more than a couple of years. Although I will add that most of my canalphones have been fairly basic (Sony MDR-EX85LPB, Sennheiser CX-200, UltimateEars... something, CX-300-II's, and the AF56m's), nothing more expensive than these Audioflys.

As I doubt these would be replaced under warranty (again), I'm after a new pair. I like the sound of the AF56m's (bass could be a little better, maybe, but I am into Linkin Park, A Day to Remember, aussie hip hop, etc etc), but I just want something more durable and will last a bit better. I really don't want to keep replacing bloody canalphones, leaving me to sit on the train and overhear the douche with the beats opposite me blasting out Buckley's 10 Worst Songs list.

Any ideas on what would suit? Plus, I asked this question without answer a couple of weeks ago, but I would also like a *short* extension cable, 10 or 25cm or something like that, so I can connect the headphones into that and into my phone, to provide strain relief. I'd much rather kill the plug on a $10 or $15 cable rather than the plug on a $100-150 pair of canals. TRRS would be nice, depending on what I pick up next.

I'm thinking that whatever I get next might be restricted to train/bus use only, as walking/jogging seems to be the big killer.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

15. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

ATH-ADG1? :)
    Keeping the price down the Beyer MMX2 are a great performer for the price.

First up I'd suggest getting canals that DON'T have an inline mic/remote - we seriously see 10 times as many warranties/returns on models that have one vs those that don't. It doesn't matter which brand or how much they cost either :(

The weakest point on all canals is going to be the cable, especially near the jack or the earpieces, even more so if it gets wound around stuff tightly.

If your headphones are still within warranty they will still be covered even if they've been replaced before.

My recommended alternatives are likely to be more expensive models - Brainwavz B2 (although they aren't especially bassy), Audiofly AF78/AF120, Vsonic GR07Bass, Martin Logan Mikros70 (good quality inline mic/remote if you absolutely must have one) or even higher end models.

16. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

I did buy these through you guys, and they have been warrantied before (asked for the white ones to be changed to black/red), I'm not sure if they are still in warranty, but if they are, I'd be very surprised that accidental damage is covered (even if the damage occurred progressively over a period of time).

As I really can't stretch the money now (and would really like to be able to drown out conversations now that I'm catching the train 4 days a week at 2 hours a pop), would I be able to see about getting these replaced with the non-mic models?If it'll lead to increased reliability, I could forego the mic/button. I'm saving up for a Pebble, anyway. Otherwise, I'd really like to not spend more than my initial outlay - at least not much more.

Cheers

17. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Best to send an email through to check whether you're still in warranty (12months from initial purchase date, give or take a few weeks).
    There's generally no problem swapping for a different product if you're warranting them :)
    User damage isn't covered but Audiofly are generally pretty lenient - we'd have to check them out to be sure.
    Our most reliable models around the $100 mark are the SoundMagic PL50, Audiofly AF56, HiFiMan RE400 or Shure SE215. General use failure rates for these are around 1% or less.

18. Caffeine Dealer

Caffeine Dealer Member

Hey guys and girls.

I would not say i am new to decent sound but i am new to paying attention to detail and research for this particular purchase.

I am looking to purchase headphones that can serve multiple purposes. They must be as good from a portable device as they can be from my PC and maybe the Xbox One if at all possible.
    They must also come in under $300. I don''t care how much under but that would be my maximum budget.

I do not have a preference to branding but i do not like the AD700 look.

To give you an idea of what i might need to impress me, here is a list of some of the gear i have used in the past.

A number of average "gaming" headsets including the usual Sharkoon, Corsair, Coolermaster, Roccat and so on.
    Beyerdynamics DT 440's with a Prelude sound card.
    Currently using a Psycho Carbon 5.1 headset/Amp combo...
    Linky

And on the Xbox 360 i was using a set of Razer Chimera 5.1 wireless headphones.

Apart from the Beyerdynamics for sound and comfort and the Razers for wireless, the rest are pretty much a gimmick with the exception of the Psycho Carbon which are just too heavy to wear for extended gaming periods on iRacing.

So there you have it, the majority of my past devices.

I am currently looking at a reasonably priced Yamaha HPH-PRO500, can anyone comment on Yamaha as a headphone manufacturer?

Also, how would a set of Beyerdynamic DT-990-PRO-250 Open Back Studio Reference Monitor Headphones compare to my old DT440's?

I currently do not have a discreet sound card but i am not apposed to getting one. Right now i am just running off the Z87 chipset which i am led to believe is on par with ~$100 sound cards.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :thumbup:

EDIT: I also have a preference for over ear and cloth pads :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  19. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Yam aren't known for headphones, and the pro look like beat wannabes, cashing in on the overpricing craze of fashion headphones.

The DT990 will need a decent amp, and therefore a decent card from which to amp the signal. At least double your budget to get those too.

Stay away from gaming stuff, look at Beyers, AKG, Shure and Koss, at less than 100ohms.

20. Caffeine Dealer

Caffeine Dealer Member

Thanks for the info :thumbup:

So am i right in saying that "DJ" headphones are less about sound quality and more about build quality? So brands like Pioneer and Numark are build well but lack clarity?

I noticed you did not mention Senheiser, any reason for that?
    I really like the look, build quality and review that the Sennheiser HD 558's get but i don't think they are very portable. Can't see any pictures where they fold up.