Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Beyer DT250? A bit of a step down price wise from the 880, but a very good phone for the money, that is easy to drive and is will do well with those sort of inbuilt soundcard amp jobbies.

2. Criminal_Colt

Criminal_Colt Member

Yeah I was thinking of them but was worried as they don't look all that comfortable either! They remind me of airline cockpit headsets.

On the plus side I thought they'd have a neutral tone being studio and all...feel free to correct me though.

Interested in more suggestions/feedback.

3. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The DT250 are comfy once they're settled in, out of the box they're a bit clampy but it's easy to fix.

Other easy to drive alternatives would include models like those from Audio Technica (AD900 etc) or Alessandro, although the MS2 is a bit of a ball-puncher.

4. Criminal_Colt

Criminal_Colt Member

As in a kick to the nuts? :thumbdn:

I don't like the sound of that lol.

Will keep checking them out...so it looks like I'm best sticking to something rated at 32ohms...right?

Also the Alessandro's look a tad...hard and non-plush.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  5. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

With the STx they'll probably do well with phones up to around 100ohm - it's when it get to phones that actually need an amp it'll struggle to compete with good desktops.

Electronica? DT250. Most of the electronica I have is very well produced and mastered stuff, and the DTs work really well with good recordings.

Yeah, they look a bit daggy, But unless you listen to music in front of a mirror...

6. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Impedance doesn't tell you much unfortunately, there are some low impedance headphones that are hard to drive and high impedance headphones that are easy to drive.

Stock pads on the Alessandros are a bit rough, but you can swap them easily/mod them etc :)

7. Criminal_Colt

Criminal_Colt Member

After looking around some more I'm now interested in the Audio Technica ATH-AD700.

- Comfortable
    - Comparable sound to the 440's
    - Look nice
    - Don't anticipate any problems driving them
    - Cheaper

WINRAR?

The AD900s seem to build on everything about the 700s so I guess I'd consider them as well.

I guess the only thing is whether they are not suited to electro but by the sounds of it they are a good all-rounder.

8. eXponential

eXponential Member

Swap to the comfy pads, or my preference the Sen HD414 pads, in all their glorious yellowness!

9. Criminal_Colt

Criminal_Colt Member

Right now I feel pretty sold on the Audio Technica range in general.

Hmmm...wish I could just go and try them all out. :upset:

So not living in Perth does have a downside after all. :p

I'm pretty set on the Audio Technica ATH-AD900's right about now. Just need to submit my tax. :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  10. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The AD900 are a great headphone for overall balanced response, just remember they aren't for bassheads :)

11. Coldplayer

Coldplayer Member

got $60-80 for earphones/canalphones or any other headphone made for portable use. So wondering whats the best canalphone/headphone/earphone and the benefits and cons..

Cheers

12. Adro85

Adro85 Member

Hey experts

I'm looking to buy a decent set of headphones for when I start a new job in two weeks' time. Long story, but I'm working in the same office but for a different department, and the people in my old department are mostly loud-mouthed idiots who I'd rather block out.

Of course, that isn't the only reason for the headphones I will be doing a fair amount of work cutting and editing audio and video so sound quality and a nice, long cord would be a bonus too.

My budget is around $100, stretched to maybe $130 if necessary. I have had a couple of cheap pairs of Sennheisers before and I quite liked them. Suggestions? I've been browsing headphones.com.au a bit and I like the look of the Shure SRH420 or the Sennheiser 428s as far as design goes. Any idea when the 428s are due for release?

13. kangaroo_kid12

kangaroo_kid12 Member

Decent Headset?

hey guys and gals,
    i was wondering what would be your opinion on a decent headset that aint gonna cost an arm @ leg. so around $100.
    i purchased the Cyba Sniper Sonar 5.1 headset and found out when i bought them that there is a problem with the mic on steam (heaps of static comes through the mic and you cant clear it up but other non steam games work fine), That annoyed me cause i play CS:S alot and i cant communicate with my fellow team mates.
    So anyone have any ideas what headset will be decent and will work with steam games.

thanks in advance
    Kangaroo_kid12 :) :)

14. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

There are no decent "5.1" headsets - as you've discovered. Stereo headphones do everything 5.1s claim to do, only better, because it's not about more, cheaper drivers, it's about having two good ones.

15. Tokemon

Tokemon Member

Yup, the above poster is right. 5.1 headsets are a gimmick. You get a MUCH better result spending it on a good pair of headphones and a clipon mic.

16. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Right, so I think it's about time I retired my AD700s. They are being held together with sticky tape and dodgy solder jobs. What would be the next step up from the AD700? I want something just as comfortable, just as easy to drive and even better sounding. Don't really mind if they are open or closed, but I guess since I really loved my AD700s, open would be preferable. How are the AD900s? are the AD1000s worth spending extra money for? What about other brands? Or maybe I should just get another pair of AD700s, or even try and get them repaired?

Thanks guys :thumbup:

17. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

There's lots of choices.
    Yuin PK3, Head Direct RE2, Sennheiser CX300, Vsonic R02Pro2 etc.

The SRH240 is actually pretty good for the price :)

The AD900 pretty much does everything the AD700 does, only better.
    The AD1000 is better suited to classical and jazz than the AD900 does, if that's what you listen to.

18. Adro85

Adro85 Member

Legend, thanks! Once I get my new credit card you’ll be getting my order :)

19. Mercora

Mercora Member

Snufkin

Have you ever listened to a pair of Sony MDR-7509s? I have a pair but they're getting fairly uncomfortable from use, and with the trouble I'm having getting replacement pads I'm looking at new headphones.

Any idea how they stack up against some <$500 headphones?

I tend to do music listening from non-amped sources.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  20. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

A long time ago yeah, we've got a few customers that have upgraded from them to models like the Beyer DT250 or similar (studio use).