1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. jtool

jtool Member

AKG k550's are perfect for all your needs. get them from crazysales ~$280 delivered. Best set of cans I have used besides my HD 600's, and the isolation is pretty darn good.

2. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

I'd go the Beyer Custom One Pro or DT250 personally. Both can be flexed out to help reduce clamping pressure making them very comfy. I prefer the DT250 overall - they have a really nice warm sound to them, but would suggest the Custom One if you want the option of heavier bass :)

3. imek

imek Member

For the wireless headphones, I'm using the Sony MDR1RBTMK2 headphones, which sound pretty great (have a different sound in a sense to my AD900s and DT770 headphones running through a STX sound card).

Using them for my Macbook or portable usage (iPhone/iPad/Vita/3DS) though, but quite happy with them so far for the week I've had them.

Have tried to test them out to see how they go on my PC via bluetooth, however with Windows 8.1, getting connection and sound quality issues and can't be bothered testing them out cabled to my PC.

4. Enjoi

Enjoi Member

i know you mentioned that you cant be bothered testing the cable to pc with the sony's, but im really keen to know how the perform over a good sound card, as im looking to purchase the same headphones with a creative SB Zx, your efforts would be greatly appreciated :D

Cheers,
    Enjoi

5. Azrael

Azrael Member

I'm using the upper model PS3 Elite headphones. Works a treat. Nicer than the standard PS3 headphones too.

6. imek

imek Member

Not much of a scientific test that I can do, don't have an adaptor for the 3.5mm to 6.3mm jack that seems to fit the Sony plug, but connecting through the front panel and comparing the DT770s, it's hard for me to choose which sound I prefer out of either of them. Bass is probably a bit more refined with the DT770s, as with the overall sound for at home use and the comfort levels are better in the DT770 (but that's to be expected given the target usage for both of them, with the DT770 being a much larger set).

If it's solely for home and connected via cable, I would probably recommend the DT770s more, especially for the price, but the wireless connectivity (when it works, which it does fine with my Vita/iPhone/Macbook Pro just Windows with bluetooth has issues) and portability would definitely go to the MDR1RBT if you need those qualities. It does sound quite good on it's own if not taking and even compared to other headphones into contention, just the price is higher if it's to be a cabled only headset (which is where the normal MDR1Rs would come in cheaper).

From talks with friends, the bluetooth model (when connected via cable) and the standard MDR1R are pretty much close to the same headset sound and quality wise, so if you could probably look to try them out somewhere first.

7. Enjoi

Enjoi Member

Thanks for the reply mate, I ended up purchasing the MDR-1RBT's, and they are awesome.

Just looking for a good sound card to put into my PC now, which i was looking at the SB Zx for its Control modules with inbuilt Mic, though ive heard from a few people that the mic is terrible, so im unsure now. I only really need the Mic for my PC, as my intent is to use the MDR's over 3.5mm to the sound card, then disconnect them for on the go listening via bluetooh on my phone.

8. Schumi275

Schumi275 Member

Sorry for being a bit off topic but replying about the ZX mic.
    FWIW I run the ZX and use the mic quite often in online games and it has been brilliant. In my man cave I have a tv about 3 arm lengths away plus my pc about 2 arm lengths away from my chair. PC running twin 7970's doing there best Airbus jet impersonation and the tv at a moderate sound level. The mic sits between my keyboard and monitor at about an arm lengths away. With the noise cancelation switched on and mic levels and other settings dialed in through the sound card software I get almost zero background noise through the mic. Feedback from the poor sods who have to listen to my dribble is that I'm heard loud and clear. Given the background noise I have in the room I think it does a fantastic job.

9. Enjoi

Enjoi Member

All good my friend, your feedback is very greatly appreciated. Ive had a LOT of mixed reviews regarding the ACM controller, regarding both the Mic and the fact that the controller actually reduces the quality of the sound passed through to the headphones.

see this review/discussion; http://www.amazon.com/review/R2CUXOJTWTQSMF/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B009XDWUCQ#wasThisHelpful

can you relate to this experience at all sir?

Cheers,

Adrian

10. Syvirus

Syvirus Member

Hey Snufkin

You guys wouldn't happen to be able to get replacement parts for Beyerdynamic DT880? need some new ear pads.

11. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Yep - sure can, they're about $60 for a pair and we often have them in stock. Send an email through for more info (I won't be back in the shop until Tuesday) :)

12. lithos

lithos Member

And this, folks, is why you buy Beyer - pretty much everything is replaceable. Hell, they even use normal screws to hold everything together!

13. Croc

Croc Member

my AD700 getting little old, cushions needs replacing, cable is gone very hard, love the headphones but since i'm going to spend money wouldn't mind getting something even better, any suggestions so i'm not disapointed when comparing to ad700?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  14. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Budget? Source? Music taste?

I repaired my ATs a number of times with spare parts and all, they're good for that too.

The hifimans aren't replacable to the same extent, but should still be fairly good. The mad dogs being mrspeakers has user replaceable parts too (plus Dan does upgrade services).

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  15. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

AD900. :D Had for many years, wonderful headphones.

16. neRok

neRok Member

Can I please get some canal-phone recommendations? I need them for the odd occasion when using on-head headphones aren't suitable. I only listen to metal, and I currently have AKG K540 - and I had DT440 - so that's the sort of signature I am going for. I like an 'all-there' sound signature, that is definitely not lacking bass.

The ball socket on my DT440 broke. Can I get new parts?

17. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

Any thoughts on an open or closed over ear headphone and headphone amp if applicable for home use coming in under $450 total. Source will be a mix of digital devices mostly either an older acer laptop or a 2013 rMBP, so probably should also consider a USB DAC combo amp? Listen to mostly indie folky sort of stuff as well as minimalist electronic, jazz, blues etc. Nothing too bass centric, more focused on detailed leaning towards warm sound.

Not to anchor but my 1st thought was something like AKG K-701 + FiiO E17, but thing perhaps it might be a bit analytical and fatiguing for relaxed listening, no real idea though!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  18. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Fiio E17 isn't enough power to run a 701 properly. It's even possible the DAC isn't that much better than the Macbook. I don't think there's much value in bargain basement amp/DACs IMO.

My own suggestion would be the Beyer DT250 and one of these, if you go the DAC route. DT250 work with all sorts of music, being pretty neutral and responsive to what's played on them.

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=690

These don't need amping, so you could run them off the laptop. Decent phones.
    In open look at Alessandro MS1, AD700
    Closed: AT M50, Koss TBSE1,

19. Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

What are your thoughts on bluetooth headphones? I am pretty sick of having my cat eat my wires so I think its time I got some wireless ones.

Im looking for something around the $150 price range. Main use is for movies and music.

20. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Personally, I'd never buy them. A lot more money to get a lot less sound. I have cats and kids too. I keep my phones away from them both.