1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

Thanks, thinking open will provide better sound for the same money if isolation isn't an issue. Thought about the MS1 but wanted something over the ear rather than on the ear. Will take a look at the AD700.

2. Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

Yeah its kinda impossible as most of the time im using my laptop he is always bugging me lol

3. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

Would the DT880pros be complimentary to my tastes? After a bit more reading thinking dt880p + HUD-MX1?

4. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

You're still mismatching stuff IMO. Analytical, power hungry phone and cheap DAC/amp. I'd be matching cheaper units to phones that require a lot less amping.

5. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

Ok your right, think I should steer away from the AKG/Beyer stuff given I generally listen to warmer music. How about the Sennheiser HD600? Although apparently they lack soundstage and are slightly more expensive, eating up most of my budget without an amp, although I could probably survive for a while ampless on them and get a DAC/amp down the track.

6. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

They will still need a decent amp. I'd suggest the Beyer DT250

7. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Is your intention that they're more portable (because they're going off your MBP), or do you use it as a desktop?

Drubbing is right, imo you're better off with a pair of headphones that don't need an amp/external dac, for a smaller budget, especially if its a more portable rig.

Closed vs open is also a big question, if isolation isnt an issue go open.

IMO you might have to push your budget if you want both a decent amp/dac and a pair of cans.

HE400s are selling for cheap now (~$299USD), add something like the Matrix Mstage (Not sure how easy it is to get RCA out of the MBP?) and you've got a good setup, but you're probably looking at ~$500+, and the HE400s are more suited for EDM (V-shape sound signature).

8. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Macbooks have digital out through the 3.5mm headphone jack, turns red and shit.

Got AF120s last week (thanks Snufkin) and they're super, cordura cable is solid which is v nice.

9. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

That's just another option to connect an external DAC, if the DAC has a digital input. SQ wise it makes no difference. I've used Digital out or USB to my DAC from my Mac, and it sounds exactly the same, either method still bypasses the Mac sound card.

10. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

Thanks gents. The MBP doesn't leave the house, portability isn't an issue. I mostly listen to podcasts commuting and have a set of random senheisser earbuds for that purpose.

So desktop based DAC/open cans would be fine. Also I'm in the Netherlands, prices of Amazon DE and such do seem a bit cheaper than Aus, so possibly squeeze more into my budget, was trying to keep it around 300 euro though that figure was really just arbitrary.

11. |AXiN|

|AXiN| Member

Thoughts on a headset for under $200? I generally use speakers, but I'd like to be able to chuck on some headphones with a mike for gaming and late-night use.

12. auApex

auApex Member

Hi guys,

Looking for a set of cans to use around the house with my tablet (mainly YouTube, some music) and take with me to work to listen to music. I mainly listen to hip hop so would like something with good bass. As I'll be using it in different devices, I'd like something that doesn't need amplification and sounds fine by itself. Closed back would be best as I don't want to piss off people at work. Comfort is also a priority. Moderate portability would be good but only as far as moving it from home to work in a laptop bag or just sitting loose in my car.

Looking to spend up to $200 but happy to spend less. Snufkin, you've steered me in the right place in the past so would be happy to take your recommendation and buy from your website.

Thanks

13. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The Beyer MMX2 is still an awesome headset for the price :)
    Alternatively : standard headphones with a clipon/desktop mic.

Audio Technica M50, Koss TBSE1, Shure SRH840 in fullsize models, AKG K619 or Aiaiai TMA-1X in something more portable :)

14. auApex

auApex Member

Thanks Snufkin. Just bought the AT M50s on your site. Sounds like they're exactly what I'm after. Can't wait to give them a listen!

*edit* Only just noticed they're out of stock. Do you have an ETA for these, Snufkin?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  15. ravingham91

ravingham91 Member

Hay guys I would look to borrow some wisdom. My knowledge on headphones is quite limited.

I want to get some headphones.

I'm looking at over ear headphones and willing to spend around $150. PCPP gave the Audio Technica ATH A500X a 10/10 and www.storedj.com.au currently has them on sale for $129 with free shipping.

Headphones will mainly be used for movies and gaming as If I'm listing to music I'm usually mixing it (very poorly) on my turntables.

Do you guys have any better suggestions for under $150? I'm really keen on the ATH A500X.

Also would a cheapish DAC/sound card improve my listening experience?

review of headphones http://www.avforums.com/review/audio-technica-ath-a500x-hi-fi-headphones-review.311

"High resolution audio from Songbird is a very impressive experience and introducing an external headphone amp like the DacMagic Plus or the Furutech into the signal yields further improvements."

I appreciate any help and enjoy the long weekend!

16. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Sorry - just noticed this, we have regular shipments come in.. I know we have some now :)

If you don't need a closed model open models like the AD700 offer better performance for the price.

You need a good source for good sound, aka: garbage in, garbage out.
    If you have a decent dedicated soundcard you should be fine, if not getting a decent dedicated soundcard or good media player would be a good idea.
    Spending ~$200 on a DAC/amp for a ~$100 pair of headphones doesn't make much sense.

17. ravingham91

ravingham91 Member

I didn't really need closed headphones but I bought the a500x as they were going for a great price and have gotten great reviews. So would would be a good sound card to go with this headphone? I was looking at the asus xonar essence stx but don't know if it would be overkill for my headphones. Thanks again for your help

18. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Yeah the Essence STX is definitely overkill ;)
    Think of it this way : for the price of the STX and the A500X you could get the AD900 and a Xonar DG which would give you much better resulting sound quality for the price.

19. Eradicate'

Eradicate' Member

Any ideas on in-ear canalphones for around ~$50. I already have some brainwavz m3's but after a couple of hours they get uncomfortable and they hurt me ears. So im looking for something cheaper that i can just use at gym, snowboarding/skateboarding/running. Ideally something i can walk into a store and grab this weekend.

Was at dick smith and saw some Sol Republic Jax and a-Jays one+ and a-Jays Four for around $35-45 on special, i like the flat cables these have...anyone able to comment on these?

20. ravingham91

ravingham91 Member

Ok well I have already bought the A500X. I probably should have done what you suggested and got the AD900 but the A500x arrived today and I'm very happy with them for the price. what sound card would you suggest to go with the A500X?