1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Intensity

Intensity Member

i got the AD 900's and the Xonar Essence STX and i love the setup, not changing for anything else anytime soon :)

2. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

If you're enjoying the way they sound now I probably wouldn't bother adding a soundcard, although the aforementioned Xonar DG would do the job :)

Let me give you a bit more perspective:
    The Audio Technica A500X gives you performance of a ~$100 headphone. It's below that of models like the AD700 in open or M50 in closed.
    For the A500X to give you performance equal than or better to the AD700/M50 you'd have to be running the AD700/M50 off a very poor quality setup and the A500X off a basic quality setup (ie: you're deliberately making the M50 and AD700 sound bad). If you were to compare the performance of the AD700/M50/A500X all from the same basic, reasonable quality setup the AD700 and M50 will sound better, followed by the A500X.

Now if you were to spend ~$200 on a soundcard for your headphones you'll have ~$120 performance for a ~$320 outlay. Spending money on the source won't make your headphones sound as good as ~$200 headphones, for that you'll need $200 headphones :)

In other words:
    $100 headphones + $200 source (eg: STX) = $100 sound quality for $300 cost.
    $200 headphones + $200 source = $200 sound quality for $400 cost.
    In fact:
    $200 headphones + $50 source (eg: DG) = $200 sound quality for $250 cost.

Keep in mind there is no way to truly apply benchmarks to audio performance/preference so these numbers are only to be used as an example.

3. ravingham91

ravingham91 Member

Ok so it's definitely not a good idea to get the stx as my $100 headphones will not benefit from them. What would be a reasonable sound card to go with a pair of $100 headphones? Is it worth spending a little bit more money on a something like a DX? ($85) or does the same logic still apply in that I should get a cheaper sound card for cheaper headphones?

Thanks again for the help. I really want to have the best listening experience possible but I have to be careful not to overspend or buy equipment that will bring me no benefit. I am trying to make an informed descion with my purchase and asking all these questions is defiantly helping _

4. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

I don't know what the performance difference between the DG and DX is, but I think either should suit :)

5. zdream

zdream Member

Hey snuffy I think it's time for me to splurge again.

Need a headset purely for gaming (csgo). I currently own an ad400 which I plan to retire, sennheiser amperior (on the go, gym etc.) and an ultrasone pro 900 (this is my music headphones. it's really nice for gaming but the clamp gets too much).

Keep in mind I do have a zalman clip on misc and a titanium HD sound card. I'm tossing between the AD700x and the ADG1.

Wut do?

6. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Welcome back kent.

7. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Budget? If you've got the TiHD and a clipon mic, can't imagine why you'd need to look at the ADG1, its the AD700 with a USB soundcard and mic. IMO better off spending the differential towards better headphones than on stuff you already have.

8. zdream

zdream Member

No budget really. I might just grab the ad700x

9. zdream

zdream Member

wassup :lol:

10. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Go the ADG1 - better fit, plus the mic is excellent quality and way more convenient than a clipon.
    You can also use it with the PS4/XBone(with their adaptor) :)

11. Calindor

Calindor Member

Hi Snufkin,

Looking for a recommendation to replace the Beyerdynamic MMX2s that I bought years ago.

The ear pads are starting to wear out and is starting to get uncomfortable, so it is time for a replacement.

I quite liked the sound quality for the price, and the light weight and comfort of the MMX2.

Happy to stretch the budget a little (probably up to around $150 or so) - so am checking for any recommendations.

Cheers.

12. Avalanch3

Avalanch3 Member

Hey Guys,

Looking at getting some new gaming/all round headphones for my PC.

Has anyone used or owns the Astro series headphones? I'm looking at the A50.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were?

Cheers.

13. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The MMX2 is stll a great value for money headset for the price - the only way to get better for around $150 is with a pair of headphones with a cheap clipon/desktop mic, eg: AD700 etc.

If it absolutely has to be wireless the A50 aren't bad.
    If it doesn't have to be wireless you can do a lot better for less, eg: AG1/ADG1.

14. Avalanch3

Avalanch3 Member

Prefer wireless so i can walk around the house and still listen to music ect :D

Any other wireless headsets i should be looking into?

15. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Not that I'd recommend.
    I'm not a fan of wireless - too many issues, not enough performance for the price.

16. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

i got my dad the wireless sennheiser RS180 for christmas, he's really happy with those. they're around $300 and sound pretty good

17. dave-

dave- Member

Looking for something better to listen to music at work but not annoy other people (I'll def get in trouble if someone hears some of the hip hop lyrics). Want something comfortable but don't want a massive set of cans (hmm, pun probably used before here) and aiming for the $100 mark, $150 tops.

I got a set of Koss KSC-75 from you many years ago which are still going, though I find them a bit uncomfortable over long periods of time.

18. spyce

spyce Member

Any recommendations for IEMs? Willing to spend up to $50.

19. moomooo1

moomooo1 Member

Hey guys, I made a thread, but someone pointed out I could post in this thread too. So here goes!

Basically, I've been searching for a comfortable headset for years to support my long hours of gaming. Even when not gaming I'd prefer to keep them on just to reduce noise around the house.

I've tried a few different setups, but found that over say, 1-2 hours, it would start to get uncomfortable. Firstly, let's start off to say that apparently, my ears are sensitive buggers. My first headset I tried was the Steelseries Siberia V2. They were light and comfy to start off, but after an hour or so, the lack of ear cushions would push my ears against the speakers to tight and I would get really sore. Second I tried TTesports Diamond Shock because it had deep cushions. In the end, too heavy, clamp was too strong, and still my ears got too sore.

I've tried earphones + separate mic, but that gets slightly sore after awhile. Albeit, I haven't invested in a good pair(just the standard ipod ones from awhile back), so if you think that could be a viable option, leave your opinion!

At this point, I've deduced that gaming headsets are likely to be too heavy for me with the integrated mic and all, so I am looking for a good headphone + separate mic. I've tried on multiple at a few outlets, namely Beats, Audiotechnica, Skull Candy etc. One really stood out however, the Bose QuietComfort 15's. The insides of the earpieces actually curved in, shaping with my ear. They were light and felt extremely comfortable. My gripe is that it's got a premium for the noise cancelling technology, which is a non-factor for me.

But for the life of me, I don't know how to search for headsets that have speakers that angle outwards. So I'd like to ask your opinions on what other headsets fit into the category.

Money is not really a concern, but I definitely prefer comfort over quality/aesthetic.

Long post, but thanks for reading!
    moomooo1 is offline Reply With Quote

20. Timcyn7

Timcyn7 Member

Hey Guys,

Im after a good set of headphones. Want to spend around $300 maybe tad more. I dont need a mic, but i want at least 5.1 (7.1 be better), needs to be wireless/bluetooth. I want it for my xbox 360, pc and phone/tablet.

I seen the SB Evo ZXR's and i was going to go with them, but apparently cant do surround sound on anything but pc?

edit: I also just have been looking up the headphones from Turtle Beach. The PX51, the XP510, and the Z300's. I cant really tell any difference in them apart from the px51 is for ps3, the xp510 for xbox and the z300 for pc.

What others are there that can do what i want? Cheers:thumbup:

Last edited: May 5, 2014