1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Yep!
    Send an email through for info, I don't have it handy ;)

2. Sigur Ros

Sigur Ros Member

Anyone owned a pair of JayBird Bluebuds X before? Thought on them?

3. Thhhza

Thhhza Member

Picked up my AD700's from the post office yesterday, photos don't do justice as to how big these headphones are. I think I read earlier in this thread people were thinking of using them as portable headphones? :lol:

Anyway, holy shit are they comfortable and the sound is great, very happy :)

4. punkerdaleski

punkerdaleski Member

yep - just bought a pair. wanted some bluetooth headphones for running/gym and general cord avoidance.
    only had them 24h, but have to say i'm very happy thus far.
    had to charge out of the box, but BT sync was easy - works very well with my iphone 5s and ipad. easy to switch between devices too and tells you the battery life on the icon. voice confirmation is good
    they have a few sizes of in ear bits and some other accessories for a good secure fit
    sound is fine - i was a bit worried cos some whinge about BT sound quality, but i think its great.
    passive noise isolation is pretty good, yet to see how it goes on the running/rowing machine.

i wanted BT and active noise cancelling but couldnt find anything that did a good job of both and would be good for exercising.

5. Craggles

Craggles Member

Morning All,

I bought a set of Astro A40's over the weekend just for the PC, wasn't really interested in their own mixamp so didnt bother getting the full kit.

I'm now thinking about buying a seperate DAC or sound card for these?

Do people think it will be worth it and if so what should I look at?

Cheers

6. one80

one80 Member

I'm after some in ear headphones with a mic/speaker for my iphone. Will just be using at work etc so don't want to spend a fortune.

What are the Etymotic MC2/3 like?

7. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Hey guys so I am in the market for some new cans, start my new job next week and its desk work! My current pair of M50s are broken (only 1 side works).

I have a few requirements, they need to be closed so the noise doesnt leek. I listen to a fairly wide variety of music so id rather have a fairly balanced sound (don't mind a bit of extra bass but if it drowns out the mids and trebble then Noooope). A detachable cable is also good as if my current pair had one they'd still be working!

I have narrowed it down to the following:

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=588 (no detachable cable though i dont think)
    http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=1008
    http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=576
    http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=446

Comfort is also a thing, I will be using these for large periods of time. Also id rather not go over $200 if I can avoid it, but if there is something a lot better for just a bit over 200 by all means recommend it to me!

EDIT: oh and something vaguely portable would be good as i might use them with my phone from time to time for music on the go.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  8. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Asus ST/STX :)

Good if you wan't maximum isolation but not as easy to fit as some of the alternatives and they have a sound tuned toward being balanced and detailed so they aren't especially bassy if that's something you're after.
    You may want to consider something like the Audiofly AF56m.

Really, really not portable and not built to take a beating at all.

An M50 with a detachable cable! No surprises for you :)

Smooth sound and comfy. A little smaller than the M50.

Big n heavy, very well balanced sound.

Fullsize circumaural models are all fairly similar in terms of comfort however the A700X is easily the most comfortable out of the models you've listed, the disadvantage being that they're huge and not practical for out and about use.
    The SRH840 are pretty comfy but they're also pretty heavy, I don't find them that comfortable for hours of use, but I don't find the M50 comfortable for long sessions either.

Well there are portable options like the LSTN Troubadour?

9. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

They do actually look pretty damn nice.

Whats the sound quality like compared to say the M50 (a benchmark I can relate to).

10. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Not all that dissimilar. The LSTN has slightly punchier bass and more forward upper mids but they have a fairly similar balance of sound overall.
    The LSTN doesn't isolate as much, if that's a concern.

11. Craggles

Craggles Member

Just a quick question about this, a mate of mine seems to think ongoing support for sound cards is pretty poor.

I'm not one to buy this kind of thing often, am I just buying into a card/system that will be useless in Windows 9?

12. Comma

Comma Member

You know. I just upgraded my STX and it's sitting on my desk doing nothing ;)

13. Python

Python Member

Anyone have a recommendation for a $100'ish headset that would work for PC and the PS4? Looking for something for my nephew, it doesn't have to be top quality but works well (easy to use).

14. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Unfortunately that's not something that's easy to predict. Formats change, operating systems come and go, manufacturers change plans etc.

The thing with soundcards is that they generally offer performance beyond their price tag, in the case of the Asus STX card it's up there with some $500+ commercial DAC/amp combos.

15. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Isolation isn't the end of the world for me, its more sound leakage I am concerned about (hence the no open models in my shortlist) as I don't need the whole office hearing my awesome tunes.

I also just discovered the Sennheiser 380 pros.... It's about the only decent headphone I can listen to at JB Hi Fi... Right up there on my list now

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  16. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Yeah the "best of" at JB pretty much represents "base level" of what we tend to offer.
    The 380pro aren't a bad headphone, but you can do better.

17. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Yeah turns out im a super idiot and it was the 208s that I tried anyway. They don't have any 308s in stock in Hobart (or VIC for that matter apparently). Given they cost the same as the M50s online I am again back to where I was. :p

Another option is I use a pair of Sennheiser 515s at home and buy a cheaper set of closed cans for work/on the go... Dad has a pair of 515s that he has offered to give me, no idea if they are any good!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  18. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The M50 are a much better headphone than the HD280pro IMO. The M50 has better sound, better comfort and better build.

Free is probably the most I'd pay for the 515 ;)

19. Radley

Radley Member

Hey Snuff, what are the Shure SE846's like? I couldn't imagine paying $1000 for canalphones. I'd rather spend that on some nice cans and an amp.

20. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

Any updates Snuf?