1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Radley

Radley Member

You could convince me if they were $250. And they'd better sound better than my DT1350's

2. Radley

Radley Member

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  3. .AQL.

.AQL. Member

Well I just bought a pair of Superlux HD681 off eBay for $39 inc post. They sound better than the ad700x I had previously lol and for a quarter of the price. What I really like about them is they are good for both gaming and listening to music.

The only thing I don't like are the leatherette pads and headband so I did the sock mod thing that I found on the net, check it out:
    Click to view full size!

These cans are perfect now :D

4. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

just picked up some MEElectronics M6 PRO. for the price they are awesome. pretty balanced ( I prefer a little more bass) but the sound stage on them is massive. Live music sounds fantastic. the memory wire works really well haven't suffered any cable noise at all so far.

5. Deeb0

Deeb0 Member

They're easier to drive with (most) portable devices, they're small, and I can wear them on a plane as earplugs and still sleep with them in. + I like the sound.

$699 is expensive. Got them for $440 last year, I'd imagine the aussie dollar has something to do with the current price.

6. Radley

Radley Member

I've never seen canalphones that require amplification. Do they even exist? I'm sure there are some obscure audiotard ones around that claim they require it :)

7. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

"Require amplification" might not be the best way to put it, but there are differing amplifier requirements for some IEMs(canalphones). (a music player or any headphone output can be considered an amp in this case)

High sensitivity IEMs will not like noisy players/amps. High gain amps (high output sources) could be frustrating to use, or unusable.

Output impedance or amp/player will interact with crossovers in multidriver IEMs. If its too high, the sound balance will be significantly impacted.

8. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

I'm clearly a planar magnetic whore. HE400, Mad Dog Pro, Oppo PM3 and now HE400i.

HE400 versus HE400i:

Physicals: Significantly lighter (and imo cheaper feeling build quality), focus pads are still great, stock cable still shit, packaging is a bajillion times better, unboxing experience was awesome. Colour is really nice IRL. Cups and swivel mechanism feel a bit cheap. Not sold on the headband, it looks silly on my head. Much prefer the older HE style (I never had an issue with weight or comfort).

Sound: Much more mature, well rounded and warm leaning on neutral (though still energetic). Highs are less harsh, mids are much more forward (but still v/u shaped), bass quality is similar, bass quantity is slightly less, but still gives you that great planar bass slam/thump. Overall detail is fantastic. Sound stage is noticeably reduced, probably in part due to the mids.

Would rate. :thumbup:

9. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Because nothing matches the bass of my custom IEMs :p

I listened to them for half a year, came back home and put my he400s on, at 1st id thought they were broken because i couldnt hear any bass, then id realized my ears and brain had adaped to the iems :p

10. Deeb0

Deeb0 Member

no i was referring to them as opposed to larger headphones.

and @qev you will get used to over the ear, the buds sit with no downward force so you don't really feel them pulling like normal buds. of course, thats all I've used for about the past 7 years. :thumbup:

11. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Ran in to a cheap pair of Grado SR225i's in top condition at a second hand joint, quite different to my HD-25's. Biggest difference seems the soundstage which I expected being open vs. closed.

I've been using them to mix my tunes with alongside the HD-25's and my studio monitors and they've been great.

The cord reminds me of a stethoscope and they are fitted with the 6.5mm jack so I haven't been able to test them on any of my portables but they plug straight in to my audio interface and mixer without an adaptor which is nice.

The pads are a foam type which feels a bit dry, any recommendations on a good source of alternates? Also, I can't seem to find Grado for sale much in Australia- a friend seems to think they might be sold under a different name?

Any help would be nice.

12. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Doesn't Grado = Alessendro ? ( with some minor differences)

I'm sure snufkin will post and confirm soon enough :)

13. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Alessandro headphones are made by Grado :)

14. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Yeah, they certainly look similar. I couldn't figure out which model the 225i was similar to from Alessandro. Any ideas which one a 225i is? Thanks.

15. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Allesandro doesn't offer a comparable model for every Grado. The MS1 pretty much covers the SR range.

16. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

MS1 ~ 125e
    MS2 ~ 325e
    MSPro ~ RS1e

17. TheDreamer-

TheDreamer- New Member

Are they comfortable after long hours? Wanna buy over-ear headphones for the first time and I really don't want to spend too much. I'm gonna be using it mainly for music and gaming so I really need something comfortable.

Other than that, any suggestions below $50?

18. Houston

Houston Member

Any idea when Audio Technica headsets will be back in stock? PG1 or AG1

19. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

We receive shipments fairly regularly but they are usually presold.

20. Slug69

Slug69 Member

Ok, my Sennheiser CX175's died on me yesterday. I have a new pair of CX300's. (I prefer in ear Canal buds)

Need something that is better suited to my Dragonfly 1.2 DAC hanging off my Galaxy S5 though and looking to spend $300 - $400 I will keep my CX300's as spares.

I like everything from Pavarotti to Judas Priest so a bit of emphasis on vocals.

I listen to FLAC files predominantly so there is very little mushy music in my collection.

I am thinking my DAC and CX300's making a bit too much emphasis on providing me with ear bleedingly clear treble. Pumping into my Amp and Speakers at home though it is very nice.

Looking forward to Snufkin's recommendation and I will purchase from his store.

Cheers.