Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

I'd suggest the Audiofly AF140/AF160 or stretching the budget a little and getting the Earsonics SM64 :)

2. Slug69

Slug69 Member

Looks like I am buying Australian!

Don't get to say that very often unfortunately...

3. modernshoggoth

modernshoggoth Member

This is going to be a difficult one...
    I previously got a pair of Beyer DT250 (80ohm) but they're just a bit too flat to be used for casual listening, even when amp'd using my Aune T1. There's next to no separation or staging and I'm really missing that, coming from a history of mostly-open cans.
    Need a set of cans for office use, so my main concern is sound bleeding out and pissing off others... I alternate between using the above DT250's and a pair of pre-logitech UE IEMs for listening at work.

Prefer over-ears large as possible, velour, not fussed about pressure/tightness.
    A little V-shape would be good. Mostly listening to metal, ambient, blues, classical, in that order. I know wanting separation and good staging and gearing for metal isn't really closed-can-compatible... but hey =p

Snufkin, what would you recommend for this? Looking to buy through your shop.

4. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Beyer DT880s are a great, warm all round phone, super comfy and well built

5. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The Custom One Pro is probably going to be your best bet. V shaped response curve, comfy, lots of isolation, tuneable bass.

Having said that the DT250 generally offers pretty good soundstage and separation for a closed headphone. The C1P isn't going to be much better in that regard but they do have more bass impact and brighter treble.

I don't think I'd recommend the DT880 - while they do have excellent soundstage and positional audio they leak as much as any open model and don't have more bass than the DT250, if that's something you're after.

6. modernshoggoth

modernshoggoth Member

Awesome, cheers. Will head in soon and give it a listen =D

7. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Just shelled out for a set of V-Moda Crossfade M-100's after seeing them in a review. Look forward to them and will give my impressions once I get them. My first real headphones :thumbup: :D

Edit: Got them and they are amazing. Clarity is bang on, very bright highs, excellent bass although it doesn't go quite as deep as my Atrio M5's IEMs. Extremely good headphones - got them $200 used.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  8. Slug69

Slug69 Member

Just ordered the AF140's.

Very keen on having a listen.

Will update after a week or so of receipt.

Cheers.

9. Radley

Radley Member

What are Master and Dynamic headphones like? I saw them in a store today and I've never heard of them.

10. Radley

Radley Member

Also what is a 'balanced XLR cable'? It sounds like a load of shit.

11. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

A single (2 conductor and shield) XLR cable normally carries a balanced mono signal. Occasionally you'll see 5-pin XLR used for stereo balanced signals, but it's more typical (IME) to just run two cables.

In short, there are two signal lines, one driven 180 degrees out of phase from the other. The two lines are then physically proximate for their entire length, so any interference acts on both lines approximately equally. Because the signals are out of phase, the net effect of this interference sums to zero.

You can use a balanced signal to drive a headphone driver, but the cable lengths involved are usually short enough that all you're achieving is applying double the signal amplitude to the driver compared to a normal ("single-ended") connection.

EDIT: For the pedantic: Yes, I know that balanced audio connections actually have more to do with matched impedances than the use of differential mode signalling. But that's way harder to explain.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  12. roger1505

roger1505 Member

Hey snufkin, im looking for a bass heavy pair of head phones any reccomendations? My budget is at $100-$200

13. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Audio Technica M50X? :)
    Up from there- Beyer Custom One Pro.

14. roger1505

roger1505 Member

hmm okay, well I already have the ATH M50's. Not sure if the refresh M50x is better or not...
    And the beyer cusotm one pro is like $300 abit to far form my budget.

15. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The M50X doesn't sound different to the M50.

I'm not sure what I'd recommend as being better than the M50 for the same price!

16. roger1505

roger1505 Member

Oh okay, thanks snufkin.
    Im just looking for more bass, as I dont think M50's dont offer enough.

17. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Adding too much bass tends to drown out other frequencies a fair bit - how is your source? Sometimes a low quality source can cut off a fair bit of bass.

18. roger1505

roger1505 Member

Hmm, I usually just plug the headphones into my speakers on my desk.

I've been thinking about getting a sound card, to isolate interferences but dont have enough pcie/pci slots :(

19. cevad

cevad Member

What about using a USB DAC as a source for your headphones?

20. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

If you have room for a sound card a decent $50 model is generally head and shoulders above poor quality onboard sound. You'd need to spend ~$200 for an equivalent external DAC.

Also games and movies tend to do better with a soundcard than a straight 2ch external DAC.