Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Radley

Radley Member

Hey Snuff, have you been having problems with your site recently? I keep getting the error
    No data received
    ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

It's probably saving me lots of money though...

2. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

When are you getting the error?

3. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

Need to get my gr07b fixed. The left channel is cutting out from a crappy connection near the plug. I don't have the skills to fix it myself. Anywhere I can take it to get fixed on the cheap + good?

4. Radley

Radley Member

It's been off and on for a while now. The homepage loads up but when I click on products the error appears.

5. roger1505

roger1505 Member

Not sure if you're the right person to ask about this snufkin, but do you think there is a large performance gap between PCIE sound cards or USB ones?

6. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

Performance gap? What performance? :confused:

There is a significant price gap though; you pay considerably more for roughly equivalent USB DACs.

7. roger1505

roger1505 Member

hahaha sorry, in performance gap I meant by the amount of interference when using USB vs PCIE.

Yeah, I'll have to take a look around MSY and see what they have.

8. Radley

Radley Member

Quick! I need a recommendation for a good active noise cancelling headphone. I'm flying overseas tomorrow and want to have a poke around duty free. Unfortunately I fear that the only ones I find are Bose, which I lump with Beats.
    The Audiotechnica ANC9's would probably be my choice as I have 2 sets of Audiotechnica headphones already and they kick ass. Any other suggestions though?

I'm departing international from Sydney.

9. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Well there can be, but it's not because of the interface format.

One big advantage of sound cards is that they support headphone surround processing, so if you're using your headphones a lot for games and movies you're probably going to be better off with a decent ~$200 internal card than a more expensive external setup.
    If it's primarily for music a ~$200 card is still going to give you ~$400-600 external 2ch DAC performance, so if you want something better you'll have to spend around $600-$1000 and that's going to get you maybe what, 5-10% performance increase?

The ANC9 are great, next up from there I'd go the PSB M4U2 :)

10. Radley

Radley Member

Found anc9 in duty free here. They're $269.... $20 more than headphonic. What a joke duty free is now.

11. chewbucca

chewbucca Member

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Looking for a set of wireless headphones for the smartTV....any ideas where to start? Brands? Reasonable price range? Would something up to $100 be fine?

13. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

14. easterhat

easterhat Member

Hi all - similar to Mr Chilled, I'm after some wireless headphones but these will be for PC use - tv/movies, gaming and music. I had a pair of Corsair H2100s but they have issues with static and constant white noise so I've RMA'd them. The plan is to get a modmic and then have a pair of headphones to stick them on - won't need the mic unless I'm sitting at the computer.

The real question is - do I bother with wireless? I want to be able to sit on the bed and watch things and there won't be a cable long enough, but if the quality to price ratio is way too high then it won't be worth it.

15. frashed

frashed Member

Would love to hear everyone's opinion on an upgrade from the AD700.

Specifically I'm looking for a gaming headset that:

• Plays nice with both PC & PS4 (easy to shift between the two)
    • Open or closed (preference for closed) but has great sound stage / positional audio
    • Preferably comes with a DAC (currently using a Xonar STX but wouldn't mind selling it to fund the purchase if I can retain comparable quality).

I've narrowed it down to the PC363D, G4ME Zero (hard to drive?) or the ATH-AG1. I've heard the AG1's have a similar sound to the AD700's? I'd want something with a bit more low end.

Keen to hear your thoughts or alternatives :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  16. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The USB interface included with headsets doesn't hold a candle to the STX.

PC363D = meh.
    G4me zero = meh.
    AG1 = good, but pretty much the A700 with an attached mic and USB interface.

I would suggest keeping your STX and maybe getting something like the Beyer DT250-250 and a modmic :)

17. frashed

frashed Member

I'll hold on to the STX then...

I really am looking for a single solution, so unplugging the headphonea from my PC straight into the PS4 does appeal to me. Particularly the short cable.

Is the price difference between the PG1 and AG1 worth it? I know they have smaller drivers...

Thanks for the response ;)

18. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

I have both the PDG1 and ADG1 at home and prefer the PDG1 :)
    I use them mainly for console (ps4) gaming on my couch so I sit in a maximum-reclined position which means the couch cushions push the ADG1 forward whereas they don't push the PDG1 forward on my head making the PDG1 more comfy. I also use the inline volume control and mic switch on the PDG1 which the ADG1 doesn't have.
    In terms of sound quality - I actually prefer the PDG1 for games. I like the ADG1 more for music, but I never use them for music listening.

19. frashed

frashed Member

Alright, ended up grabbing the PG1's :lol: Definitely can't touch the AD700's when it comes to music. For gaming I think it's a nice signature... I'll miss that open soundstage, but at least I have some bass now :p I'll never use them to listen to music; that's mostly done on a Sonos system or via my Mackie's.

They actually don't isolate well and leak more than I'd like. They also feel a bit underpowered (from a MacBook Pro). Keen to hear how they sound on the STX.

20. Reanimated35

Reanimated35 Member

Looking for new headphones to replace razer tiamat 7.1ch's. They still work, they're just uncomfy on my head now for some reason. It seems like the band that rests on your head is all hard now instead of nice and padded. A bit pissed about that since they're only 2.5 years old.

Anyway. I have an auzentech meridian 2g 7.1ch soudncard, which while works, I bought it not long before they went bust so there's no support and drivers settings can be a bit iffy sometimes.

So I'm looking for a closed ear headset, preferably with a mic (I've heard good things about modmic but also reports the magnet effects the sound quality so I would prefer to stay away from that for now).

Ideally it would be 7.1ch to make use of the soundcard, however I could replace the card with something better for a different 5.1 or great quality stereo.

Will be used for:
    > Games/skype (90%)
    > Music (7%)
    > Video (3%)

Budget ~$200