Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Pik0

Pik0 Member

Is there an ETA for when the AT-M50X's are going to be back in stock? Or is there another place I get get them from for a comparable price?

2. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The M50X has been out of stock at the Australian distributor for a while now but new stock is landing very soon, along with the new limited edition green version :)

3. Pik0

Pik0 Member

Sounds nice, any way I can get notice when they are back in stock? Wanting a pair before I head OS.

4. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Sure - send an email through and we can let you know when the shipment has landed :)
    Otherwise if you put an order through we can secure one for you and send it out the day it comes in.

5. tgluak

tgluak Member

Zalman ZM-MIC1 still the clip on mic to go for?

6. randomizer

randomizer Member

I've had them on backorder at a store near me for a few weeks. They were dispatched today, so the distributor must have stock again. I imagine Headphonic will get them shortly

7. Pik0

Pik0 Member

Pre-Ordered some green ones. Thanks!

8. KuNFuSHuN

KuNFuSHuN Member

Last I looked into this which was probably a year ago, this was still a decent mic setup.

There are now things like the modmic but I am not sure if the price is worth it over the zalman. Though the setup of the modmic is nice if you want to just have it all ready to just be attached to your headset.

9. dorsy99

dorsy99 Member

Travel Headphone Recommendations!

Hey Guys,

I am looking for some new headphones for the train, and need recommendations. The biggest priority for me is comfort! I have a big head and usually have headphones set to the widest they go. I am currently using some $40 Pioneer on-ear foldable ones which are super tight and "clonk" all the time when you move.

Ideally, they would be fairly compact (happy with supra-aural), have good isolation and be under $200 (The more the better, lol). Bonus points for good looking as well! They don't have to have inline mic/controls, but I'm an Android user so iPhone ones won't work :(

Thanks!

10. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Also any suggestions on some bluetooth earbuds?

11. KuNFuSHuN

KuNFuSHuN Member

I have been asking this as well but no one seems to have recommendations.

I think being bluetooth at the moment the quality wont be as good as similar pricing wired earbuds.

I was looking at the jabra rox but maybe the cheaper priced plantronics beat go 2 are a better choice for value. The jaybird bluebud x is one of the higher end models that also has a higher price tag.

pros and cons:
    - jabra has magnetic headbands where you can wrap around your neck like a necklace, it also puts them to sleep. Once you pull them apart, they wake and will pick up calls. These have optional wings to help secure them in your ear.

- plantronics are cheaper and are decent for their price (i think and what reviewers have said). You can get a model with a pouch that also is a battery pack charger.

- jaybird are a bit more expensive, reviewers have said sound quality is very good but saying this, I think maybe cheaper wired can probably produce better sound. Im not an audio expert but from what I have gathered wired is always superior for audio. These have optional wings to help secure them in your ear.

All are water/sweat and dust resistant.

I have held off and thought I would wait it out as I don't really need them right now.

I do like the idea of Bragi - the dash, I will wait for when similar products are bit more mainstream so price goes a bit lower but these seem pretty awesome.

http://www.bragi.com

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  12. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Yes bragi sounds interesting, if not a bit overkill.

bluetooth is always going to produce a lesser sounds than hard wired, but i want something without wires so i'll put up with that, it will just be for mp3 stuff off my phone anyway. Maybe off a bluetooth transceiver on my computer.

The jaybirds keep coming up as the better option, but kinda stupid that different colours on amazon are different prices. I understand not wanting white but does there really need to be a $30 difference?

Already have a pair of ATH-ANC33iS noise cancelling headphones but the wire does bother me for some situations.

13. KuNFuSHuN

KuNFuSHuN Member

from some reviews, the jabra rox are a little more on the bassy side and the jaybird is a little more balanced.

14. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

can you get replacement velour pads and cables for HD650?

15. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Hey guys,

Looking for recommendations for comfy headphones to wear pretty much all day? I work in an open office environment, and from time to time there can be an awful lot of ambient rabble noise.

I have a pair of ATH-ES7's which I bought from Snufkin aaaaages ago. Long enough ago that I've had to replace the ear pads. They're a great pair of headphones, but only in short stints - I find they are too much of a pressure against the ears for longer periods. I also have a pair of Etymotic MC5 which are pretty alright, however I find that my right ear canal is slightly different to the left, so it seems to break the seal more frequently - that and these tend to get sore after about 45minutes of use.

Is there a happy medium somewhere? I don't so much care about the quality of the source, most days it's just my phone with spotify free / my music, or a podcast. But good noise isolation is a priority.

I also wear glasses at my desk, so I'm not so sure that over-the-ear phones are the best choice. I'm happy to be shown otherwise though.

Cheers all. :thumbup:

16. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Yep!

The new ES700 are comfier than the ES7, alternately the Aiaiai TMA-1X are pretty nice :)

17. Crossings

Crossings Member

Hi guys,

im thinking about getting some different cans. Currently have ATH-M50x, whilst they are great for music, they are absolutely garbage for FPS gaming. When people are approaching you from the rear its difficult to tell whether the foot steps are coming from the rear left or right side. I used to have AD700's and they were excellent for gaming and pin pointing enemies.

I'm now thinking about going back to AD700 (or AD700x) or trying out some HD 598's ?

Also i sold my old AD700's because whilst they were great for most things, bass was a little lacking and i wanted a bit more. I bought DT-880's and these were pretty perfect for me sound wise, decent soundstage for gaming and more bass than ad700s. BUT they were incredibly uncomfortable for my large head, so i sold them too lol

So AD700x or HD598 or something else???

I think the HD598 has a little more bass than ad700s? What about AD900x? how does that compare?

18. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The 598 does have more bass than the AD700 but they don't perform quite as well with positional audio.
    The AD900X have more bass than the AD700 but not significantly so. Other than that they're basically an "enhanced" AD700 in that their sound is more polished without being worse in any way :)

Personally I'd go the AD900X.

19. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

I'm looking to get a replacement for my vsonic GR07 in-ear headphones as one channel has died and it seems prohibitively expensive/a pain to get them fixed. I love the GR07s so much but this is the second time the cable has had issues.

the next pair I get must have detachable cables so the next time it happens I can just replace it rather than buying a whole new set. To make that worthwhile i'm looking into the higher end of the Shure range. Namely, SE535, unless there are other, more value alternatives with replaceable cables (and with cables that don't cost so much to replace).

They're ~800 from Jaben which is way too much, considering they're about 500 on Kogan and in some places ~400 online but i'm not sure if it's reputable.

Where would be a good place to buy them from, considering price + warranty etc?

What alternatives are there with detachable/replaceable cables that are recommended?

I also looked into on-ear headphones but found none of them comfortable or sounded amazing. I'd maybe consider the Sennheiser Momentum (either on-ear or over ear). Some over ear headphones are nice but they're not exactly portable.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  20. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

how much are they? also while i'm at it i need to replace my work/travel headphones soon, they're looking worse for wear. i currently have AF56m and was happy with them aside from the cord which i hate. i need some with the mic/control for android phones, the RE-400i are the only recommended ones with a similar price range but the controls are for ios?
    also in terms of a cheap pair for running what is the build quality of the AF33 like and how securely do they sit?