1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Loving my custom one pros paired with 02+odac.

However they're now suffering the common stock cable death, one ear has started dropping out :(

I guess they haven't had an easy life, just recently spent 6 weeks being stuffed in suitcases while travelling but still.

Looking to buy replacement, any recommendations on cables that are 'not cheap junk' but also not outrageous snake oil lol. I'm assuming anywhere between $20-50 will get something decent?

2. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

I'd try Hills AV first, they are Beyers nationwide service agent. I took my ancient DT100 in to them with one dead channel and they sent it to Sydney for repair. Go them back good as new for under $30.

While it's a detachable cable, you're probably going to get fleeced by any other audio company for such a replacement.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  3. neRok

neRok Member

As in http://www.hillssvl.com.au? I've got some old 440s that are broken and have been meaning to look into getting them fixed.

I asked this question on the headphones.com.au forum, and was recommended the AKG K44 as "they're a fair bit more durable", but was told the HD201 would also be fine. I think I'm going to go with the K44, and can always swap for HD201 if need be.

4. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Yes, they're in Osborne park, but send all work to Sydney.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Considering pulling the pin on the PHILIPS SHD8600 wireless headphones. Any problems/issues/notes with these that anyone knows of?

6. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

I thought over ear headphones actually went over the ears eg HD650, DT888 etc but he is calling them over ear and in the pic they're sitting on the ears?
    He also said he used great headphones in the past year then raised bose as an example

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Anyone, anyone at all?

Maybe I'll just buy em and find out :p

8. Radley

Radley Member

He never says these are over ear, he says they are on ear. He also says the Bose are the best noise cancelling headphones, not the best overall.

I'm looking for bluetooth headphones for work and travel though, but there doesn't seem like much around. I'm afraid I'll one day break the 3.5mm plug on my Beyers as it's so bloody fat.

9. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

You're usually better off getting headphones and attaching a mic such as ant lion mod mic. There is a audio technica headset i think it's a ad700 headphone combined with mic. I don't like that brand but it's very popular
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=116_1156&vk_sort=4
    Open and closed models for 249. Prob cheaper elsewhere

Free shipping from here, also lower end model for 179 or something
    http://headphones.com.au/pbrowse?catID=1&subCatID=16&brand=Audio+Technica

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  10. DzRBenson

DzRBenson Member

Hi All,

Looking at buying a pair of HyperX Clouds but a little confused at the different version of the version 1. Anyone able to clear it up for me?

I want to use them for CS GO, Wow and some music, but seeing 2 versions

KHX-H3CL/WR or KHX-HSCC-BK-FR

Im looking to get these - http://www.wireless1.com.au/kingston-hyperx-cloud-core-gaming-headset-khx-hscc-bk-fr but they also have - http://www.wireless1.com.au/kingston-khx-h3cl-wr-hyperx-cloud-headset-khx-h3clw

Any ideas on the difference or which ones to get?

11. Tarkhein

Tarkhein Member

Cloud Core comes with basically no accessories (just the detachable mic and an extension cable). Cloud comes with some extras - velour earpads, airplane adapter, control box, travel bag and iphone adapter.

12. jji7skyline

jji7skyline Member

Got Cloud Cores for my brother, excellent set of headphones.

13. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

the jays 5 and fidue A31s arrived today, well yesterday but i saw the courier card today. was just leaving for a run when i was made aware so i stopped by the post office :) tested the A31s over a hour long run - they're really good. i'd be happy to use them as regular every day earphones.

i never got a email back about the replacement parts for the HD650 :(

14. neRok

neRok Member

Just another update, I have now gifted the K44's, and they were well received. They have an elastic band (rather than a ratchet style) and fit my nieces head well. They are nice and light (as described), have decent isolation (for listening in car etc) and actually sound pretty good for the price. So if anyone is looking for cheap headphones suitable for a child (or yourself), these are a good option.

15. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Quick question about the ATH-PDG1.

Is the box meant to be sealed? Like with a tape?

Just worried I got a display unit...

16. neRok

neRok Member

Boxes are often sealed with a little round sticker/piece of tape, but I wouldn't think with a line of sticky tape from a roll.

17. Radley

Radley Member

What's a good Bluetooth set of headphones for a couple hundred bucks? I'm thinking the new Plantronics that I linked a few weeks ago, but they're not out for a couple of weeks. Not sure what else that's not total rubbish. What's the build quality of the Sennheiser MM450-X's like?
    Please don't tell me how shit BT is, I know. I just want a wireless pair for work.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  18. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

I tried a friends Bose noise cancelling headphones last week and I was suitably impressed, seeing how I have a few quite long plane trips coming up Id like some recommendations for some quality noise cancelling cans to take with me

19. roamin

roamin Member

is there any wireless headphones with the quality of ATH-A700?

currenty have ATH 700 the older model and there great. but im so over the cord on the things. i would like some wireless headphones for gaming but i dont want some cheap shit with quality to match.

i know logitech and corsair and all them make them for gaming but i have no idea what any of these units are like and i dont feel like spending $200 for headphones to find out there average.

i also like the open can design too as thats what my 700 series are.

20. Tarkhein

Tarkhein Member

Sennheiser have their RS series of wireless headphones, you might want to have a look at those.