Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. mupman

mupman Member

got the upgrade itch for amp/dac all in one or separate units

currently using an audioengine D1. cant fault it but money burns a hole in my pocket :)

i'm fully expecting to have to go to a store and actually try out stuff before making a decision, however a bit of guidance in the right direction from you experts here first would be greatly appreciated!

i listen to metal/hardcore/hard rock mostly, but i also really love classical by the way of original scores for film (big morricone fan)

headphones are fostex th-x00 for metal/hardcore and AKG k7xx for everything else

many thanks!

2. OJR

OJR Member

In Melbourne if you're close to Kew, check out Addicted to Audio. They are very happy to go through their range with you. Extremely helpful and friendly.

http://addictedtoaudio.com.au/

3. bondy_112

bondy_112 Member

For those in the market for canalphones. I was in the market for some that are comfortable and non-fatiguing to listen to as a I use them on flights a fair bit.

I ended up purchasing Fidue A31 recently on the reviews that they are very lightweight and comfortable, while providing non-fatiguing sound.

I hadn't heard of this brand before purchasing but suffice to say they live up to all their reviews. They weigh next to nothing and are very comfortable because of how small they are. Sounds is good but not incredible, but I can listen for ages with no issues. The only thing I'm not 100% on at the moment is the cable is really odd, it likes to spring back rather than droop, this might be a positive for some; im on the fence at the moment.

4. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

:thumbup:
    The Fidue A31s are a great little canal and basically fit anyone - if you can't wear them, you probably can't wear any canals ;)
    I'm a big fan of the A65 as well but they are much larger so not quite as tiny-ear friendly.

5. Warhamster

Warhamster Member

Alright headphone experts. I have a fat head and big ears, and in need of a set of closed headphones. I have a set of sennheiser momentums, and have ended up fobbing these off to my partner because they hurt to wear for any decent period of time. I also wear glassess, causing further issues!

Budget is =<$200. Is there anything out there for my fat head? Thanks!

6. OJR

OJR Member

I have a fat head and wear glasses when using PC. The Beyerdynamics seem a really good fit for us fat headers. I have the DT770 Pro 80Ohm version and do love them.

I also have a set of AKG K7XX coming from Massdrop and these I am led to believe are also fat head friendly (these are open cans though).

7. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

All of the fullsize AT models suit people with large heads, The M50X is probably going to be a bit small.
    Maybe go something like the A700X?

8. ex4n

ex4n Member

+1 for any of the AT AD-700's. I am constantly told i got a big head, like an orange on a toothpick some might say. I also have close to 1" stretched lobes, and I can wear my AD-700s for 12+ hours with no discomfort. Like them so much i have a second pair on the way from Headphonic.

I'm not a fan of any 'gaming headsets' - I use a modmic on my cans and stick it on whatever I am wearing. Much better. Works great with AD700\900s.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  9. mupman

mupman Member

thanks for the tip mate, i haven't actually been here yet and i work in kew lol

so they're fine to let you just take in your headphones and use their gear? i feel like i'd need hours

10. OJR

OJR Member

They were happy to leave me with about 5 or 6 cans and a $3000 Moon dac/amp to play with for as long as I wanted. They encourage you to take your own music in too.

11. Warhamster

Warhamster Member

Thanks Snufkin! I'll check them out - any idea when you'll have them back in stock?

12. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

We have stock landing late next week, if you'd like one set aside for you it would be a good idea to preorder :)

13. BBITS

BBITS Member

:( 900's coming next week, after my birthday when Mrs Bits has already ordered the 700's... rawrgh

14. Deeb0

Deeb0 Member

+1 for the Addicted to Audio guys too. Very helpful and friendly!

Just got some Ultrasone 860's on special from there and they're on another level!! Using my AK100II and its stunning, I never thought id get this amount of quality sound. Very Happy! :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  15. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

so noise cancelling in ear phones any fresh recommendations?

Have a set of anc33iS which were great for the price, but ive managed to damage one of the wires :( the location of the noise cancelling battery also bothered me to no end. The noise cancelling also stopped working the day before last and i thought it was flat battery but 2 fresh batteries out of the pack and its still dead.

The bose is always recommended as best in class but im not paying $400 for something that i dont use all the time,

currently in hk so something i could get for the flight home would be good also.

any other recommendations or updates or do i just get the same again?

16. OJR

OJR Member

How about a set of closed cans with good isolation?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  17. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

i dont like the bulk that comes with cans for long periods,

18. Deeb0

Deeb0 Member

afaik the best thing to do is swap out the pads on the cans for something more head molding therefore more isolating. The closed cans i have now are nowhere near the isolation of earbuds though. I find if i stretch out the band for more room it lessens the bulk on your head somewhat.

@evilasdeath Snufkin will be able to comment on your question more...

19. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Most decent canals don't need the addition of active noise cancelling tech.
    If you get one of the Etymotic canals they offer up to 41dB of isolation from outside noise and they start at less than $100 :)

20. OJR

OJR Member

Oops, sorry, didn't realise they were canals. just get normal (as Snufkin has said) good quality canals and get some Comply foam buds for even better isolation.