Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. OJR

OJR Member

I do love my Beyer DT770 and my AKG K7XX. :thumbup:

2. one80

one80 Member

Girls girls girls! :p

3. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

I love my DT531 :D
    k-i-s-s-i-n-g

4. Spork!

Spork! Member

Fairly friggin' fond of my Fostex. ;)

5. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

So AMP / DAC combos, what's out there that's decent but doesn't cost an arm and a leg (meaning $1000+)? I have a split AMP & DAC but it's getting annoying and when I redo my setup it's gonna be even more annoying.

Had some people over on the American forums suggest the Schiit Jotunheim but not sure if that's because it's good or because it's made in 'Murica.

My current setup is an O2 + ODAC, DT-880's & Swan M50W but I may be changing headphones to something like the HE-400s / i or HD600 dunno yet, getting bored of my DT-880s.

6. bondy_112

bondy_112 Member

So I've really been missing my MS-1 (and MS-2) lately.

Is there anything closed that will give a similar sound to the MS-1?

7. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

8. OJR

OJR Member

That is a damn good price. If they were the 80 Ohm version I would buy another pair in an instant.

9. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The O2ODAC has pretty great performance for the price, if you were to get something like the HE400 or HD600 they'd run just fine from it.

mmmmmaybe the MSR7, although they tend to veer a little more into the analytical side of forward rather than the rock and roll side.

10. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah I know but because I have the O2 and ODAC split it's kind of a pain in the ass, not to mention it has no pre amp for the speakers so I have to use RCA splitters which if I knock my desk to much knocks out the left channel :mad:.

Should also ask, is it better getting 1 set of headphones for everything or having a set for gaming and a set for music, movies etc?

11. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Gotcha - I use an Audiolab MDAC at home as my cornerstone unit (Laptop/NAS -> USB -> MDAC -> headphones/powered speakers).
    The O2ODAC deluxe we sell would probably solve your issues :)

Multiple pairs for flavour.
    Any headphones that are good for music are going to be good for games, but headphones that are good for games aren't necessarily good for music ;)
    I have a cheaper headset for gaming/voice comms because I care less about absolute sound quality when it's gunshots/explosions and smacktalk, but for atmospheric games where there's no voice comms I'll often use better headphones for the soundtrack.

Most of the time though it's music styles/genres that will determine which headphones I use. If you listen to a really wide range of music having more than one pair of headphones makes sense, otherwise not so much unless you're a collector :)

12. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I'm thinking the JDS Labs Element (even though it's monstrous) it would match the volume controller for my M50W's. I'm not overly fussed with getting an AMP DAC that's worth thousands and can run every thing on the market.

Well I've made the mistake of going those "gaming" headsets before... never again :wired:.

My music has a kinda broad range (AC/DC, Pink, LOTR soundtracks etc), but I don't like headphones with heaps of bass because if I need bass my M50W's can shake the whole unit :leet:.

I'm thinking if I go 2 headphones maybe the HD598 for gaming and something like the HE400i for everything else.

13. OJR

OJR Member

I love my JDS Labs The Element. Powers anything you throw at it and basically the same DAC as the ODAC.

14. bondy_112

bondy_112 Member

Interesting, thanks! I'll do some reading on them. I don't think I'd want more analytical sound, I found the MS-2's to be a little fatiguing for me already. May just have to bite the bullet and go open again :)

15. burnout915

burnout915 Member

Hyperx Cloud 2 too small?

Just got hyperx Cloud 2's and once I put them on, they were too small and uncomfortable on my head, any good alternatives?

16. jpw007

jpw007 Member

ADG1 or ADG1X :thumbup:

17. burnout915

burnout915 Member

What about the cloud revolvers? (looking for the sub $150 price range) I've previously owned the ATH-PG1 and Logitech G430's.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  18. Skramit

Skramit Member

Looking for suggestions as an alternative to Bose QC35 noise cancelling. I don;t want to pay the asking price for QC35's. What cheaper options are out there with similar noise cancelling performance and something that is decent quality in terms of build and audio performance? Looking for earcups to go around my ears not sit on them for maximum comfort.

Not fussed about wired or wireless (blutooth)

19. burnout915

burnout915 Member

Unfortunately you are unlikely to get anything equivalent to their active noise cancelling as they hold the patents and are currently at the top of the noise cancelling game.

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Purchased wireless Sennheisers last night....the RS165's. Looking forward to giving them a go tonight.