Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

2. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Just be careful - generally cheaper means guaranteed to break, especially if you're using them for exercise.
    Having said that, the Brainwavz Delta are great for the price. Not as durable as the XF, but cheaper!

3. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Any earphone brand that won't necessarily break after a few weeks/months of use?

I've had Sennheiser/Sony/Audiofly and either the L or R earpiece ALWAYS stops working or fails... $90/$40/$60 earphones should last longer >> not even using for excersize. Hesitating on dropping 100-200+ on a pair because I think the wire is just destined to fail

4. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

I liked the earphones that came with the. HTC one m7 whatever they were. Had no branding not even htc logo afaik

5. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Massdrop has some interesting products, for example:
    https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lz-a3-iem?referer=LFE9PP

replacement cables:
    https://www.massdrop.com/buy/mee-audio-mmcx-cables

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ostry-kc06a-inner-ear-earphones

Be aware they are in USD.

Both of those units get good reviews at head-fi.org......for example:
    http://www.head-fi.org/products/lz-a3-lz-a3/reviews

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  6. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

7. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Nope!
    I've got customers that have some of the least reliable, least durable models last 5 years of abuse and a wash cycle or two and customers that have had the most expensive models ($5000!) last a few months. Any that claim to be indestructible aren't.

Models with an inline mic/remote have an extra part that can cause problems, although they seem to be getting better in this regard.

Detachable cables can often cause their own problems (eg: Shure models where sweat can get into the cable socket on the earpiece and cause connection issues). But are a decent idea on ~$150+ models if replacement cables are cheap enough and easy enough to get hold of.

It doesn't matter what they cost or who makes them.
    I recommend taking as best care you can with them. Don't wrap them tightly around anything. Don't put pressure on the jack. Don't whack the earpieces together. After that it comes down to mostly luck :)

8. OJR

OJR Member

Yup just take a bit of care with them.

I have a pair of Sennheiser CX310 that I have had for over 5 years and they are still perfect. It's a pity because they are fkn awful canal phones so I want them to die so I can replace them with something decent.

9. shino

shino Member

what is a good headphone at a sweetspot price? like good for best price?

10. jpw007

jpw007 Member

My niece got her ibuds jack stuck in her ipad. It clean broke off inside :lol:

11. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

12. 05LVQ

05LVQ Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a new set off headphones within the next fortnight and was looking for some recommendations.

I'll be using them for mainly music and a bit off gaming. Comfort is pretty important to me.

Budget is around $150, I was looking at the audio technica a700's. What other headphones would yous recommend?

13. bobzabuilder

bobzabuilder Member

If you went looking around getting the beyerdynamic dt 770/880/990 range with velour earpads are pretty good second hand around $150 on ebay.

14. Azrael

Azrael Member

On the XF200s is the over ear loop stiff or just pictured in that orientation?

15. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

"Under $1000" is my sweet spot, and there's probably more than 50 to choose from that would be pretty good ;)

The AD700 are great for the price, as long as you don't want heaps of bass.
    My recommendation would depend on your music choices :)

Yep - over ear to help keep them secure. You can flip them and wear them cable down but it's not as comfy or secure.

16. Azrael

Azrael Member

Yeah. Is the over ear bit a stiff sheath/hook though? Some of the reviews have them flipped and so I can't tell whether it's stiff or just looped over the ear.

17. 05LVQ

05LVQ Member

There's a pair off dt 770s on ebay at the moment, I'll have to keep my eye on that one.

18. 05LVQ

05LVQ Member

I'm not overly worried if there isn't heaps off bass. I mainly listen to trance, rock and pop.

What other headphones would you recommend?

19. jpw007

jpw007 Member

The Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's are absolutely amazing if you're looking for a well priced quality closed set - I think Headphonic is even expecting (or should have just gotten) a shipment in :thumbup:

20. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

There is a sleeve that stiffens the cable to help keep it the same shape (for looping over the ear). I can't find my open pair to see how they fit flipped :(

Audio Technica AD900X, Beyer Custom One Pro (like a way more efficient, bass adjustable DT770) or DT250 :)
    I'd be happy with either tbh, although I'd steer toward the AD900X for soundstage, the C1P for bass and the DT250 for overall versatility.

:thumbup: in stock now :)