Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

The C1P is probably the most bloated bass capable headphone Beyerdynamic has ever made, right next to the DT1770, dark as sin with the sound signature. Would not recommend it for gaming or general music unless you absolutely want muffled car subwoofer bass on your noggin'.

The AD900x is a better suggestion.

2. OJR

OJR Member

We need to be careful when recommending the DT770. The 250Ohm and the 600Ohm versions tend to be a bit harsh in the treble and be very very V-shaped in sound.

The model you want is the DT770 Pro 80Ohm a very different sound from the others (more bass again, mids are not as recessed and treble is not as harsh).

3. jpw007

jpw007 Member

They're adjustable though, so bass can be light or heavy?

4. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Doesn't matter. Its really unrefined on the low end. If you want happy hardcore fun bass buy a cheap Sony XB700.

5. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I'd have to disagree as I personally found the bass to be quite good. I've not had a chance to listen with my home setup yet but out of the S7 they were fine.

Intrigued by your impression of them! What headphones have you used in similar price range (or lower) that you thought were much better?

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Any of the Beyerdynamic 600 ohm version sound more controlled and balanced if your source (aka headphone amplifier) can efficiently drive high z load such as 600ohms.

7. OJR

OJR Member

How about a $2000 Simaudio moon heapdhone amp? the 600Ohm still sounded harsh when compared to the 80Ohm. Sounds like you might be a bit sensitive to lower frequencies. The fact that you like the AD900X (which is known to be very bass anemic) somewhat reaffirms this.

There is no way you would say the bass on 80 Ohm is unrefined. Beats bass perhaps, Sony MDR-1A definitely.

I guess sound is subjective though. what music styles do you listen to Matthew Kane?

8. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

DT1770 dark/have bloated bass? Yeah, nah.

I like the AD900X and agree that it's technically a better headphone than the C1P, but some people want bass.
    Pulling the bass back from the maximum setting on the C1P results in far less overwhelming bass, but sometimes it's nice to just lie back and let the bass massage your head.

The C1P is a rare headphone that offers heaps of bass (if wanted) without it being the only focus of the sound. I often recommend them as an upgrade from models like the M50.

9. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Doesn't have to be a $2k Simaudio Moon amp or an expensive amplifier for that matter. Common ground rule high z load need more voltage peak to peak rail power delivery, low z load need more current delivery relative to that of voltage drive for high z loads, the amp just needs the appropriate circuit characteristic as to what type of headphone transducer and transducer parameters/ratings you'll be driving/powering.

I'm more sensitive to upper frequencies such as treble peaks 9k - 15k, bit of upper mid etch/glare and sibilance (usually poor earpad/baffle seal or resonating grills, little/no backwave dampening in the closed cup designs).

Only recommended the AD900x out of the lot snufkin recommended for gaming which is what the previous poster was mostly talking about (and some general music listening). But yes the AD900X is more softer sounding with less emphasis on the low end but a passable example for general gaming unlike its younger brother the AD700, those are bass anemic and have a shouty mid range.

I listen to all music genres except country, pop and Norah Jones.

Never said the 80ohm DT770 is unrefined. Then again when you say DT770/880/990 which one are you referring to? The vintage models from the early 90's or the more recent ones from 2005 onwards? I've owned them all including the vintage ones when I had 80+ headphones back in my head-fi days, the vintage models in ways are different sounding to its modern counterpart/replacement models.

Maybe to you Marc (?)

But many others including myself have expressed our subjective opinions that they are dark sounding headphones. Countless of posts on Head-fi, Stereonet and many others I've talked to including myself find the DT1770 dark sounding. It is not an impressive headphone out of the box.

Btw dark sounding = overly warm, less emphasis on upper range frequencies (upper mids, 6khz above and the high end note).

Only recommended the AD900X in the sense for gaming which is what my original quoted post over yours was about. They are not bad headphones for music listening as well, bit on the polite side.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  10. OJR

OJR Member

No you said the bass on the 80Ohm is unrefined with which I respectfully disagree. :thumbup:

11. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

No I didn't actually and I see can where the confusion was caused.

This post was talking about the C1P, not DT770 (quoting back on jpw007). Haven't talked about anything DT770 related apart from the 600ohm version sounding more balanced and in control.

12. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The DT1770 reminds me of a more refined T90, which are a pretty bright headphone. The 1770 treble is smoother overall.
    I wound consider models like the DT250, HD650 etc dark, but not the DT1770.

I'm not a fan of the 80ohm DT770 myself - I find they still need pretty much the same amount of amplification as the 250ohm version but the 80 doesn't respond as well to amplification as the 250.

13. OJR

OJR Member

You're right mate, my bad. :thumbup:

14. OJR

OJR Member

I have to agree with you here. They are kind of power hungry. I can make them shine on my JDS Labs The Element though.

15. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Well to each his own, I can't persuade you to say they are dark if you hear them like the T90's.

I'm not a fan of the DT770 80 ohms either, more of a fan of the vintage 600ohm DT880 and the 250 & 600ohm version of the modern DT990.

16. 05LVQ

05LVQ Member

Thank you all for your input.
    I'm tossing up between the AD700 and AD900X.

Any idea of when the AD900X will be back in stock?

17. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I strongly recommend to avoid the AD700.

18. roamin

roamin Member

due to upgrade my cans, i currently run ATH-AD700. great open can and been well used. i only use them for gaming, not really into listening to music on my pc.

what would people recommend now for replacement headphones.

is there any quality open can style wireless headsets for gaming? im over the cord on my current headphones.

also i run a creative titanium hd card

19. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The AD900X is definitely worth the extra if you're prepared to pay it :)

There are wireless options, but they're very expensive for the performance The best I've tried was the Astro A50 and I couldn't wait to stop trying them.
    If you're not listening to much music I'm not sure what I'd recommend as an upgrade just for gaming, unless you feel you're missing something soundwise?

20. 05LVQ

05LVQ Member

I'm definitely leaning towards the ad900x. I'd rather get something that I know I'll be happy with rather than getting something I might not enjoy.