Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. OJR

OJR Member

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  2. dacow

dacow Member

I bought the Brainwavz HM2 just for the train commute. It is light, cheap and has a mic. Unfortunately it doesn't fit that well on my ears. The noise isolation on it is rubbish as well.

Can someone recommend a decent pair of "street" headphones with a mic incase of calls? Max budget $150

Sorry should mention I listen to Spotify powered by my phone.

3. Azrael

Azrael Member

4. OJR

OJR Member

2 of my other mates grabbed a pair as well. For $150, these are awesome value!!!

5. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Wireless noise cancelling over ear headphones..........I currently have the ANC9's and am happy with the sound and noise cancelling ability of these, but I really want the convenience of wireless, apart from the Bose QC35......what else is comparable ?

6. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

New sony high end just got released .. cost a bit more than bose .. not sure hire much better

7. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

My Shure SE425s seem to be slowly giving up the ghost (the plug on the drivers doesn't contact the cable too well so one side fades out if I turn my head). They're at least 10 years old and have replaced the cable once so fair enough.

Love the sound and isolation of the 425s, use them with my phone a lot. Given how I use them would there be much benefit to going higher up the range? I don't mind spending more given how much use they get.

Pity you can't demo canalphones but totally understandable.

8. OJR

OJR Member

9. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The 535 is worth it over the 425, but I'd get the SM64 in favour of the 535 any day :)
    If you've got a decent source and use them often I'd say it's worth it!

10. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Member

Hi everybody,
    I currently use a pair of Audio Technica: ATH-AD700 at home, which I love. I am looking for a new pair of headphones to use in a office. I am aliitle concerned using the AD700, being open, that the other people in the office will be disturbed when I am listening to music in the office.
    I am looking at an equivalent to the AD700, but something that the other people in the office wont really hear.
    Thanks

11. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The logical "similar to the AD700 only closed" answer would be the A700X or A900X :)

12. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Except they sound nothing close to each other. The common problem you will get if you want similar or same sound from closed compared to open.

13. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The AD700X and A700X actually do sound very similar to each other - although I prefer the open presentation of the AD series the balance of both is pretty close. I definitely think the open models sound better, but "nothing close to each other"? Yeah, nah.
    That's like saying the Beyer DT770 and 990 don't sound close to each other :p

14. OJR

OJR Member

They don't! :confused:

15. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Using the 250ohm version for reference the DT770pro and DT990pro are essentially closed and open variants of the same headphone. They share the same flavour of sound so while there are differences in sound, they aren't "completely different" sounding headphones by any stretch of the imagination.

Another way of putting it - if you like the 770 you'll probably like the 990 and vice versa.
    The DT880 on the other hand is a completely different sounding headphone, so if you like the 770 or 990 that's no indication of whether you'll like the 880.

Comparing the A700X and AD700X is totally fair because they're technically open and closed versions of the same headphone (deliberately so). Even though I would say the quality of the AD700X is closer to that of the higher end closed A900X, the family/flavour of sound is undeniable.

I'm currently testing the DT770pro, DT880 and DT990pro in comparison to the DT1770 and DT1990 :)

It does become confusing/different if we compare different impedance variants of the DT990/770 and pro/nonpro versions (eg: DT990-600 vs DT990pro-250).
    Damn Beyer and their huge range of variants.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  16. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Member

Thanks Snufkin,
    I could not find them on your website, so I could check them out. Do you not stock them? Or am I blind?

17. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Sorry Mike - I don't have them listed on our current website, I'm in the process of getting a new site built so I'm a bit caught up with that at the moment :)
    I actually have a feeling the A700X might be discontinued, I'm guessing to make way for a Z version...

18. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Member

Checking on their website, it seems that the a700x have been discontinue. I guess the A550z is the replacement. What can you recommend, if I want something in the next few weeks?
    Cheers

19. Rass

Rass Member

I have some ATH-M50X and I would compare them favourably with the ATH-AD700 (of which I own two pairs).

Only feedback I have is that powering them solely from an iPhone leaves a little bit to be desired. I plan on getting a little amp to keep at work.

20. yorky

yorky Member

Hi all, I'm looking at headphones for mobile phone use. Looking to have a mic in it though I'm the cord?.

Looking for ones that hook over the ear and not in ear or bulky headsets. This is for music to and from work either on a bicycle or train.