Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Actually no I'm wrong and I'm having a forgetful moment from my days on head-fi. My original CAL had bio-cellulose coated dynamic drivers. Sony were the first to my knowledge to engineer and use bio-cellulose drivers in the mid 1980's flagship Sony MDR-R10 headphone. The bio-cellulose drivers were again used in the 90's with there MDR CD1000 and CD3000 high end headphones, both of which I've owned.

The bio-cellulose coating was very hard to engineer properly laid over a headphone dynamic transducer due to it being akin to a layer of bacterial formed organic mask and the drivers in some Sony headphones grew mold and would deteriorate though stored in bad environment conditions but was quite rare of a phenomenon (seen 3 counts of this in 1 R10 and 2 CD3k headphones).

I believe Foster (parent company of Fostex and an OEM) manufactured the drivers for CAL headphones and certain Fostex headphones using the bio-cellulose drivers.

2. neK

neK Member

I'm looking for a new set of earphones (in the in ear canal type ones).

Here are the ones I have used the past
    - Ultimate Ears MetroFi 200
    - Ultimate Ears 200
    - Beats Dr Dre
    - Brainwavz M5

Music Style: Pop / Pop instrumentals / Rap

The ones I hated the most were the Beats. Too much bass, I had to used "Bass Reducer" on the equalizer"

My favourite was the MetroFi 200

The Brainwavz M5 which are what I am currently using are ok, but i do find they have some distortion on 1 ear (I got two sets and both do it), so that's kind of swayed me away from the Brainwavz brand due to the quality control.

I was thinking of going ATH-M50x, but I'm not sure if headphones really suit me. I tried a colleagues headphones (Sennheisers), I can't remember the model, but they were meant to be "light" at 180g, but even those i found heavy and it hurt my ears after 30 mins of wearing.

So I'm thinking earphones are probably the best way to go for me. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Willing to spend up to $150 or so on them.

3. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

That's an odd one - Brainwavz QC is generally pretty good, but all canals are much more susceptible to faults vs fullsize models. Warranty does cover faults like that (within the warranty period).

The M50X are pretty heavy, plus bass tends to be the focus of their sound :)

That's a pretty decent budget, there are a whole lot of options to choose from - so many you could almost throw a dart :D

4. neK

neK Member

It was a slight buzz at some particular frequencies. To check if it was my ears, i swapped L-R around and it was still occurring. Opened the second set, same problem.

Given their purchase price, it wasn't worth the effort to return them.

Kind of part of the problem... just don't know what's good.
    Don't want the overwhelming bass.

Thought about getting UE600, but those no longer exist.
    Thinking about Shure215, but only rationale is because of the brand and i don't know squat about how they actually perform.
    So hoping for some recommendations to help narrow down my search.

5. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

The Fidue A65 are pretty great for the price IMO. Great for contemporary music, excellent build as well.
    I've also been enjoying the SoundMagic E80 lately - they have a nice clear and balanced response with good build and fit.
    I'm not a huge fan of the Shure SE215 myself. IMO they should be around the $100 mark for the sound quality you get and the replaceable cable is nice, except for the fact that it's made out of a material that reacts to some people's sweat and starts to crack and fall apart, plus the sweat gets into where the cable connects to the earpiece and causes connection issues...

6. negatron

negatron Member

I've been having a lot of fun with some of the cheaper chinese IEM brands, and found them pretty darn decent and to me better than any of the branded in ears i've had up to mid $100 range.

Favorite to date is the Kz Zs3 which can be had for under $20 bucks, i'm about to grab a set of their hybrids KZ ZST to see if its even better.

only issue it that these normally come from the far east and take about 3 wks to get here...

7. OJR

OJR Member

Scored some Brainwavz XF-200 as part of a Massderp grab box thingy. Anyone own these and care to chime in on how they sound? The kids got these for me, and unfortunately I have to wait till Xmas to open them. :mad:

8. Azrael

Azrael Member

Well I ended up deciding to get a pair, and the entire process was a server side screwup beyond belief. Managed to get into the drop almost 2hrs after it started, with a TON of errors.

Massdrop certainly massderped

9. dacow

dacow Member

Lucky you, I spent the whole two hours and still failed. :thumbdn::thumbdn: Might just save myself some anger management classes and go retail some HD650's today. So annoyed.

It felt like Clickfail 3.0

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  10. Azrael

Azrael Member

Yup, definitely like Clickfail. I think at one point i had 4 potential transactions waiting for one to go through.

11. dacow

dacow Member

I think it was more frustrating for those that saw the comment by an official rep saying they were prepared for the influx of transactions and then the fail. Maybe Census 2.0? Hehe

12. OJR

OJR Member

I tend to agree with most of the comments. They started hyping this up about a week before the drop. What did they expect? MassDERP for sure.

13. neK

neK Member

Hey snufkin, on your site it's written "This material results in a higher impedance rating requiring more driving power to achieve the full potential of the E80C. A high-resolution digital audio player or headphone amplifier will bring out the best sound."

So how well does this work with my iphone, because that's what it's getting plugged because I'll be using it at work.

14. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

They will be fine :)
    Basically it means should you get a better source in the future you will notice an improvement in sound, but they aren't going to sound bad from your phone.

15. Danske

Danske Member

Hey everyone & overlord Snufkin.

My Vsonic GR07 Classics, are on their way out :(. This is the replacement for a warranty swap over, so basically I'm done with Vsonic. Twice now they have barely lasted over a year!

So I'm after a brand that I personally find reliable, and that's any Japan made products by Audio Technica.

Any recommended canalphones by Audio Technica? I don't want microphone, nor noise cancelling, nor bluetooth, just plain old headphones that sound neutral with punchy bass. Don't want overtop the top bright sounding or super flabby bass crap that's being peddled around these days.

Main source: Mobile (Google Pixel)
    Music type: Electronic/Ambient

Thanks team :thumbup:.

Any idea what these are like? Audio-Technica ATH-IM70

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  16. Spork!

Spork! Member

I hoped to get a pair for my son - but I wasn't getting up at 1:00am (had to work the next day).
    The son and I PMSL @ all the butthurt on the drop thread, which was consolation enough for missing out.
    I think it's likely they will drop again, and I already had the HE-350's on their way anyway, so won't need to sell them now.

17. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

Noo, that's a terrible nickname!

I wouldn't limit your choice to AT, they have some nice canals but not all of them are especially good. I also don't think the lower end ones are made in Japan, not that it makes a difference with canals ;)

Very bassy ;)

My recommendation would be the Fidue A65.
    They're well built and sound great!
    Alt option: SoundMagic E80S for a flatter response.

18. Danske

Danske Member

Thanks Snufkin!!

I'm only suggesting AT because I've had great experience with them, they haven't broken within a year of use like both the Vsonics.

Thanks for the suggestion of Fidue, I'll have to do a bit of research because right now I wouldn't pick it purely for the fact it's another Chinese made/produced brand/headphone. I don't want to write up a warranty email next year.

Don't get me wrong, the Vsonics sound really bloody good, I just don't understand why both pairs have just died after I've taken good care of them.

19. Holoryn

Holoryn Member

Not the IM70s, but I've had my ATH-E70's for a few weeks now (got them here for ~AUD380) and they are amazing. My phone (Moto X Play) doesn't do them justice. When they are powered from my desktop amp, the bass slams pretty hard. Treble is a little stronger than I'm used to but I don't find it fatiguing.

A lot of the reviews I've read online mention fit issues, but they work OK for me.

Also, Audio Technica are coming out with a new line (ATH-LS300), so it could be worth waiting for those.

Edit: Oops... I thought the E70 was the successor to the IM70. I think the new LS line is the real successor the IM series, maybe look out for the LS70.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  20. Danske

Danske Member

Thanks for the recommendation, way over my budget (looking for something half that).

Cheers, I'll check out the LS300.