Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Whilst I can accept that $250 maybe the sort of budget I need to achieve what I'm asking for, I wouldn't call $100->$250 "a stretch".

Maybe my hearing will adapt to the DT990s I've bought and I should instead shoot for something with a similar sound to those?

I'm open to ideas. I suppose it's not the end of the world if I don't like the sound, I'm not against ending up with a range of headphones.

2. OJR

OJR Member

3. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Fostex TE-07 arrived. 158 expressed posted from A2A.

Very nice IEM. Good build quality and so far seem to be a good all rounder. Pretty damn happy for that price!

4. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Thanks, I ended up buying the M40X. I got JBHifi down to a good price so went and grabbed them tonight.

They're a bit harder to drive than my previous headphones but still perfectly fine on the amp (LM4881 based thing), just backed off the attenuation, however I did have the phone (S5) nearly cranked to get good volume (no audible distortion as a result, so no biggy). Both gave similar sound based on first impressions.

I'll give them some listening time tonight and tomorrow and see how I like them, however initial impressions are "reasonable, but not mind-blowing". No regrets so far.

5. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Don't expect to be blown out of the water with a headphone generally sold in the sub 100 to $200 bracket price range.

6. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Yeah like I said, no regrets - about what I expected.

The bass is a bit boosted sounding to me - no nasty peaks or anything, still smooth, so it isn't 'offensive' as such. I expected that for almost any headphone being sold at JBHifi - it's what the masses seem to go for. I'm used to the bass of the MS-1s which was solid in the upper ranges however just tapered off at the lower end, so I'm noticing it more than most would.

I think they're close enough such that I could do any necessary tweaks just through pad/foam changes if I feel the need (a bit more open to ease the bass, a bit more foam to tame the treble).

7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Have you tried bowl pads on your MS-1's?

8. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Nah the MS-1s died :(

The cable was falling apart and I went to replace it. I must have applied heat for a little too long and burnt the voice coil on one channel unfortunately. I was pretty pissed about it however then I realised they'd lasted almost 7 years, had some other minor issues too, so just binned them and moved on.

I realise it sounds a bit contradictory (given they lasted 7 years) however I wasn't particularly impressed with their build quality.

Criticisms aside I also don't regret buying them. I'd be curious to know which Grados sound the closest to them, as I'd still consider another pair one day.

9. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

The Grado RS-1's or MS Pros have some similarities to the MS-1's sound signature but every sound aspect on a different level. But again you're paying more. The HP-500 may also be up your alley if you liked the MS-1's.

10. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Well picking up 2 new sets of headphones within 24hr of each other is an interesting experience. My DT990-250s arrived today and I've had a short listen.

The low frequencies are certainly a bit more sensible - maybe a little too much, but nowhere near as much as the M40x. It's also very obvious that they're open, it's a completely different sound (I needed both closed and open for different uses). The only negative so far is the treble, it can get a little harsh up high, however I haven't used them long enough yet to determine whether it will become fatiguing. Build quality is really nice.

The main surprise was that they actually sounded pretty good straight out of the Galaxy S5 and go loud enough for easy listening (just).

2 purchases I'm fairly happy with, giving me some new headphones for both work and home. :thumbup:

11. OJR

OJR Member

The 990s benefit from a little burn in. Tames the highs.

12. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

There's a bit of sibilance with the treble region nearing the high end frequency on the 770, 880 and 990 models regardless of the impedance models, it's just the way the drivers are tuned and installed in the housing.

Unfortunately you can't fix this without some modification/pad changes, EQ or heavy amplification (which will change the entire sound altogether in most cases).

13. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Yeah I figured some treble reduction is probably one of the easier changes with some different foam or something under the pads. It's probably a fine balance with some trial and error and to not go too far.

14. eixt

eixt Member

I am looking to replace my AD700's (I think the cable is stuffed, only one side works :sob: )

I make a lot of conference calls and have a shitty pair of wireless logitech headphones at the moment that are super uncomfortable after any period of time.

Ideally I would like something to replace the AD700s with something that has a mic but is also wireless with the option of wired. Semi portable would be a bonus too.

I may have to go for two pairs, a decent desktop, wired pair with a mic and a semi decent traveling pair.

Budget is probably up to $350.

I have a large head but not huge, but i have really big ears, so the AD700s were nice and comfy :)

Any ideas? The ATH-PDG1's look alright but not wireless or as good sound quality as the AD700s.

15. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

16. jpw007

jpw007 Member

ADG1X - Basically AD900s with a mic :thumbup:

https://www.pccasegear.com/products...ePujmhtg60wmJsrShszbUaAog88P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

17. eixt

eixt Member

Hmm thats pretty straight forward. cheers might give it a go

What would people recommend for decent portable wireless headphones with a mic?

18. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Time to re new my wired in ear headphones with mic from Klipsch which I bought in early 2011, they have served me well, the headphone part works great still and will use them with my laptop however the mic is stuffing up when plugged into my phone other people sometimes don't hear me due to a connection in the jack not being great. 6 years lasted I paid around $200 for them so worth while investment.

Now what else shall I buy as a replacement but good quality.

I would like something with great bass sounds as I listen to music which is more deep and bass sounding.

Budget $200

WIRED ONLY! I hate wireless and bluetooth as I am using my headphones also to keep my phone away from my head when I make calls, don't want too many nasty nnEMFs going through my brain.

I have an Android Phone, Galaxy s7

Edit I have short listed this from PC Case Gear, free shipping too

Audio-Technica ATH-CKS990is In Ear Headset

Second option: Headphones.com
    Fidue A73 Earphones

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  19. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

I've been considering the QC35 headphones for a while because they're bluetooth and freaking comfortable. I find many on-ear headphones to have far too much 'clamping' force and can't use them for extended periods of time.

However, I dont like that 1. they can't be charged and require batteries, 2. when you turn off noise cancelling they sound terrible. 3. For what they are the're quite expensive, but that's really the least of my issues with them.

Are there decent alternatives? The soundlink headphones can be charged but don't have the noise cancelling - though the nc is not essential. What other models should I be looking at? Basically want them to be chargable and hold a decent charge, be super comfortable, have a nice balanced sound (not too bright but don't have to be bass heavy either - a relaxed sound that's nice and clear), and have bluetooth. I'll be using these on the train, at work, and travelling.

20. Nerdbox87

Nerdbox87 Member

Ugh what? Can't be charged? They charge via USB and last 10hrs+ between charges...