Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. OJR

OJR Member

I agree with the above. I have 2x pairs of Zero Audio carbo IEMs and they are perfect for any NC duties I need. I often work in loud datacentres and have tried NC headphones and found the IEMs to work better.

2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

The Sony 1000X are much more expensive then the QC35's though. $480-550 vs $350-395 for the latter.

Surprised Comply are still business. Unfortunately the T-400 and T-500 tips I had didn't last long enough. The foam and double flange tips from Sennheiser are absolutely superb for medium to large ear canals.

3. DraGoN-BoY

DraGoN-BoY Member

Comply seem to be pretty popular and are often bundled with IEMs. I personally couldn't get a good seal with them and found Etymotic grey cylindrical foam tips worked best for isolation. Then I discovered Sensaphonic silicone sleeves which are perfect in all aspects.

4. Orphan

Orphan Member

Hey guys, I'm currently hunting for some sub ~$200 closed over-ear headphones. They will be used for a variety of things, music, tv/movies, guitar, keyboard, and a little gaming. From my searches Audio Technica M50X's came up a lot. In the comments there were also a number of people suggesting the M40X were also worth considering (some saying they liked them better). JB hifi had the M50X and MSR7 which I tried for a couple minutes each. I'm coming from canalphones (Shure SE215) so the isolation on both didn't seem great but that was in a fairly noisy store. I thought the M50X's sounded pretty decent but for certain music like rock I found the treble end of the sound to be a bit harsh, I didn't notice the same in other genres like jazz or electronic. The MSR7's are out of my current budget but I did find I liked the fit of them better and the highs didn't seem to have the same harshness as I found in some music on the M50X's but they also had a little less on the low end which I'm guessing is what is meant by "flat sound profile". Haven't found a set of M40X's to try yet. Any suggestions for other headphones to consider?

5. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

I don't find the treble of the M40X harsh. The bass is a touch too pronounced, but apparently the M50X are worse. JB price matched a much better online price for me.

6. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

What are my options for wireless headphones with a mic?

Will be used purely for gaming, no music or anything (would get some decent wired ones for that).

Only thing is that it has to have a strong wireless signal. My current set (G930's) cut out intermittently because of interference from my wifi/baby monitor/whatever.

7. roamin

roamin Member

currently run ath-ad700 open back headphones but need new ones some time soon. i would like a similar unit but in wireless, is this a thing? is it possible to get good open back cans that are wireless?

8. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, I was reading about some motherboards today and I was amazed at the effort some go to to put good audio hardware onto their boards but nearly every headset that I or my kids have used (gaming) are usb so am I missing out on something? Are usb headsets (eg G930) good enough for gaming? What non-usb headset would you even use for gaming?

Looking forward to replies on this.

:thumbup:

9. metalrain

metalrain Member

I bought this PowerADD bluetooth reciever for a solution like that (paired with both my SHP9500 and HE-350) but honestly, it's got some horrendous signal noise/interference. I'd imagine a set-up like this with a much better receiver might be the way to go.

10. Trevstar

Trevstar Member

Howdy all,

Looking to buy a new set of headphones to replace my budget ones ive had for years.

They will be used for gaming (overwatch/mmos etc) and youtbe/music (rock/todays music).

Looking to spend $200.

Mic would be a bonus but not concerned if it doesn't have one.

Prefer the type that covers my ear.

Have been reading some reviews on the Steelseries Artic 5 they are looking pretty sweet - i have opted for the wire cause i cant justify over $100 more for the 7 version just for wireless.

Anyone have experience with these headphones?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  11. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

AD900x or 558. Both closed, acceptable sound quality without spending a shit load and no mic. They are circumaural, covers your ears.

12. Trevstar

Trevstar Member

Has anyone had experience with Creative Sound BlasterX H7 HD 7.1 Surround Gaming Headset?

13. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Ad900x as mentioned, or the model with a mic ADG1X :thumbup:

14. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

So after owning my HE-400's for close to 6 years now... i've had the pleasantry of seeing my headphones implode on themselves! :(

The plastic that holds the adjustment rods has literally torn itself to pieces, thus leaving me with no headphones! :(

Any advice on a replacement pair for the HE-400's?

I have a cambridge audio dacmagic 100 and a matrix m-stage headphone amp. Recently though i have been using a creative omni 5.1 surround to output to the matrix m-stage so that i could get more spatial awareness in game, so something hopefully with a good sound stage to help even more would be awesome.

$$$ wise... i dunno i guess i could stretch it to $1000, but i'll have to think about it.

15. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

I've been enjoying the Fostex TH610, and I guess the Massdrop versions would be similar for cheaper

In HD800 territory too, I liked the sound of those as well, so so clear :p

16. downforce

downforce Member

Hi all!

Few months ago, purchased a Fiio M3 from Headphonics for Mr10 as he's getting into music, whilst also learning an instrument.

He's now starting to notice his headphones (crappy old Sony headphone/mic set) aren't cutting the mustard and asked me to help him find some new ones.

Requirements:
    * Overhead, preferably over ear, but on-ear also OK.
    * Almost certainly has to be closed, or at least very low leakage.
    * Budget is ~$50-100. Happy to buy new or secondhand.
    * Fairly robust. I don't expect tank tough but my MS-1's, for example, are way too delicate. Basically an all-in-one type design with solid connectors.
    * The Fiio M3 is able to drive them (I assume this wouldn't be an issue at this price range).

I was thinking of looking for some AT MX-50s second hand?

I also see Brainwavz has a 20% off sale atm, the HM2 are "Headphonic recommended" and work out ~$52 delivered, plus state they are durable.

Any thing else to look out for please?

EDIT: OK I think AT MX50x, even SH might be optimistic.

17. Uchuujin-san

Uchuujin-san Member

Have heard good things about the AT M40x. I've only ever heard the M50x, but if it's a more neutral version of the M50x, as i've read on the interwebz, i reckon it might be worth looking in to. Might be a bit above budget depending on where you look though.

18. downforce

downforce Member

Thanks for that! We decided to just get the $50 Brainwavz for now. He destroys almost everything so we can work up from $25 Sony's to $50 Brainwavz and maybe next time $100 ones :D

19. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

PM me. I have a contact at Hifiman who can potentially provide you a solution or replacement parts for your HE-400. Send me a picture while you're at it.

20. Trevstar

Trevstar Member

Received my ATH-M50X headphones today and i gotta say they are simply pure goodness.