Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Dr Jon

Dr Jon Member

Cheers again; I have also been reading up more on the Questyle 600... certainly seems to be very good bang for the $$, and people saying it drives planars well too. Too many choices here I think!! But... now leaning more towards the Questyle 600i and MrSpeakers Aeons

2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Get the CMA600i, its a good solid state amplifier that is pretty neutral sounding, pairs well with most headphones too. Tyll from Innerfidelity likes it for planars.

If I didn't own over 20 amplifiers I would get one.

3. Dr Jon

Dr Jon Member

Awesome advice, thanks Matt :thumbup:

4. anark1

anark1 Member

looking to get some Bluetooth headphones fro travelling to and from work, as i'm tired of cables.

i have a few pairs of Audio Technica cans at home and usually use Sennheiser cx400ii in ear buds when traveling.

was thinking about buying the following.

Audio Technica ATH-ANC40BT In Ear Noise Cancelling Headphones with Bluetooth

anybody tried these ?

5. Copie

Copie Member

QC30 for wireless buds or QC35 for wireless cans.

6. anark1

anark1 Member

i would agree as a friend has the qc35, but the Bose buds are more than 2.5x the cost of the buds i was looking into.

7. Copie

Copie Member

If you can live with wired you can get the qc20's which are around 1/2 price of the 30's or 35's

8. AlanSteel

AlanSteel Member

I got Astros Gen 1 wireless, A50 but hate forgetting to recharge it

Im after a headset for music/gaming on pc and playing ps4.

After some research, seems like the Philips SHP9500 + V-MODA BoomPro is heaps highly recommend gaming headset combo thats much better then the recommended Cloud x2 gaming headset.

Was going to up the Philips SHP9500 to the Philips x2 but a new version coming out.

Thinking of going:
    1) Get the Philips SHP9500 + V-MODA BoomPro as dedicated gamer
    2) Spend $300 on a headphone for music one

or

1) Philips X2 (new model about hit with better breathable cups) + V-MODA BoomPro

or

1) Spend $500 on a open headphone use it for both + modmic 5.0

Any one offer some suggestions?

9. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

10. DUS x SSJ4 x

DUS x SSJ4 x Member

I know little about the Phillips. But between the mod mic and vmoda. I would say go Vmoda if you can. Which of course requires a detachable stereo cord. But the Vmoda sounds better than the Modmic 4.0 (not sure about the 5.0) and is alot cheaper.

But honestly, I would not base a purchase around one or the other. Just pick some good cans, then a mic to suit.

+1

My vote would be audio technica.

Shame you missed the sale JB had on these. They had both the open and closed back versions for $239 which by far the cheapest I've seen them.

I ran the ADG1 (based on the 700 series) for gaming. And 900x's for everything else. Eventually I decided, I preferred the isolation of the 900x's and sold the ADG1's and bought a modmic 5.0 for my 900x's.

Ive paired the combo with a Astro TR mixamp. Which works perfectly with my xbox and PC setup.

I have been in love with the A900x's for 2 years now and glad I decided to just use them. They sound amazing for everything. They dont need to be driven by an amp, but even the Astro mix amp gives them even more life.

I would 100% recommend the closed or open back versions of the 900x's and throwing a Modmic on.

HOWEVER. If the cans are gonna stay home, just buy the headset variant the ADG1x or AG1x (based on the 900x series). The mic is very high quality maybe even better than the modmic or vmoda which saves you some cash because the up charge for the headset over the can's isnt much.

One disadvantage (well maybe an advantage for some) is the 900x's have 3m long braided cable which I find a pain to manage. Coupled with the modmic 5.0 I have this massive guitar lead sized cord that doesnt wrap well to deal with.

I am debating doing a removable cable mod to manage this issue. But not sure I can be bothered or want to risk destroying my beloved cans. One mod I did do however was swamp the Pleather pads out for soft fabric ones, which have help immensely with sweaty ears and fatigue.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  11. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Do DACs have a Best Before date? I have an Audioengine D1 that's over five years old at this point.

12. OJR

OJR Member

So do I and it's still working perfectly.

13. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Generally the only electronic parts that have a finite lifespan are resistors and capacitors and they are the first things to go or pop before anything else. Capacitors usually can last around 10-13 years and in some cases even longer ,no problems assuming its a quality part and temperature, voltage is well below the rated specification.

Same thing applies to resistors.

If your DAC was from 25+ years ago then I would recommend measuring and changing out the capacitors.

14. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Thanks for the replies :)

Building on the above, I was wondering what a suitable amp would be for a pair of Fostex TH-X00 headphones then? I know they aren't particularly hard to drive, but something nice that could pair with my D1 would probably be worthwhile, no?

15. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Yamamoto HA-02. Not sure if it is still in production.

16. DUS x SSJ4 x

DUS x SSJ4 x Member

17. mupman

mupman Member

not really, the D1 is a headphone amp too so you'd get no benefit whatsoever by adding an amp into the loop unless you also needed to power a set of passive speakers, which the D1 won't do

as you said, TH-X00 are very easy to power and the D1 does a fine job of it... so if you're looking for 'more' then you'll likely need to replace the entire unit

18. Suopermanni

Suopermanni Member

Well, you can get benefit from adding an external amp to the D1 IF you do need the additional power or better technical performance of another unit. Whether it's worth doing is another question.

19. AlanSteel

AlanSteel Member

Yeah, i did more research into that game headset and going to go with the lone ad900x route. thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  20. mootant

mootant Member