1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. kEv_

kEv_ Member

hey i thought i might get on this while someone who seems to know about AT headphones is around! [looks at connico];)

i am considering the ATH-AG1X's, they're not exactly cheap so i wouldnt mind hearing of any experiences people have had,
    reviews claim they are pretty bloody good at FPS, and the mic is good

i want the closed ones cause - red & black, but would the open ones be "that much" better,

they will be 95% for gaming, bf4, CoH, csgo, css

i have a creative x-fi titanium fatality soundcard

also open to other suggestions

cheers and thanks!:thumbup:

EDIT: oh, i have steelseries siberia v2's atm if it matters

2. connico

connico Member

Regarding the ATH-AG1X I've got a pair sitting on my work desk for testing.

Drivers are brilliant for gaming as per most reviews. The primary reason are the drivers and how they have been tuned. The sound is very bright and the bass has great impact. The headsets are definitely not for music as its much too bright and peaky.

The mic is to be as expected, didn't get in the way and the sound quality was really good. Still AT know a few things about microphones so its as expected. A touch to sensitive if anything.

The issue with them is the head band, everyone in the office tried them for a couple of hours. 80% hated them. I personally didn't like them as they didn't hug my head enough and the head pads where a little loose and unsupportive.

The guys that did like them had larger heads. So the headset fit them fine. I'd try before I buy.

Sound wise I prefer a truer sound from the ATH-MSR7 that I use daily.

You can bin the Siberias V2s if you get these.. not a true sound from a music perspective but just great for gaming.

Edit: if you get a couple of buddies (10ish) to buy them with you lol. I could help with a distributor discount direct from the supplier. I would think $230ish would be achievable excluding shipping though.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  3. kEv_

kEv_ Member

sweet mate, thanks for the detailed reply!:thumbup:

my bro has the original ad700's so i have tried the head band, kind of..., but not for hours and hours,
    they did feel a bit strange at first, but they seemed pretty comfortable as i got used to them over a round or 2 of bf4
    isnt there some trick with a rubber band or something people do?
    i have a smaller-->average sized head, sometimes the v2's do feel a little tight tho

while i understand the steelseries arent high quality audio cans, they have lasted prob 5 or so years and they have been great for gaming, even when i was on on-board sound, 775/1155 era!
    the current ones i use will go in the bin, the in-line volume knob has developed a habit of dropping a channel/crackling badly if it moves the wrong way, i have another pair for a spare if needed

haha, unfortunately i could maybe get 1 buddy who would need a major arm twisting to even consider getting new cans, will have to pay full price for just the one set i'm afraid
    i dont mind spending the cash, i have friggin' earnt a bit of a splurge recently, i just want to try and have as much info on them so i can try and avoid any buyers remorse

cheers and thanks again

4. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

The fitting on the entire ATH-AD series is a hit and miss but mostly a miss, pretty shit engineering the way they’ve done the wing flaps that rest on your head. If you have a small head then prepare to brace yourself for a loose fitting with the headphones not sitting snuggly ovee your head. Matter of fact I sent AT’s support in Japan rough designs to pass onto there engineers to considee future ATH models to adopt so the fit is more universal. They should look and try the Sennheisers or AKG’s as a perfect example.

Ps typing on mobile is aids.

5. Walshy

Walshy Member

I obviously have a big enough head, because I find my ATH-ADG1 headset quite comfortable, even for hours at a time. The fact that it's quite light helps with that, I think. It definitely doesn't sit properly on my kids, though.

I'm very happy with the sound, though. Can't remember how much I paid for them, but they're worth every cent, IMHO.

6. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

the ath ive had , the pad design, and the fact they are very light, make them the most comfortable fit of all hphones that ive had.

7. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

I ended up getting the new BOSE QC35II recently to replace my current work headphones for music / calls. Really really impressed with them. Comfortable, really nice sound (as long as you don't REALLY crank them), battery is great, app is easy to use to configure. Couple of weird little quirks not directly related to them (when using as a headset in Windows 10 they mute for ~5-10 when ANYTHING else on my PC makes a noise, ie. ANY notification. Unbelievably annoying when in meetings). The other thing is using as a headset, as in the mic's built in, after being assured this was built into their design to be used this way (as a headset) it's just awful. I can't use them like that for any of my meetings, far too many complaints of awful audio, sounding really distant and not being clear at all. Super Super dissappointed in this point as was the main use of the headphones. I know use the webcam that sits on my monitor as Mic which although not great provides much better mic audio than the headphones themselves.

8. Zodiac87

Zodiac87 Member

Anyone know where to pickup 1MORE triple driver IEMS locally? $100 USD and selling in Oz for 230 o_O

Or any alternatives around the 100-200 dollar range for IEMS? Bored of the shure 215's and not a fan of the MA750's

9. connico

connico Member

the 1MORE from amazon? It looks like they ship to Australia without to much an issue?

Otherwise... AudioFly AF56 do they fit the bill? Same kind of price range?

10. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

For those looking for cheap wireless cans that aren't shit, I'm reasonably happy with my Corsair VOID setup - I paid $99 from what I recall, sound quality is reasonable, software is decent, battery life is good (I haven't had them go flat yet and 4-5 hours is generally a big session for me).

Can't comment on the microphone quality though, I don't use it.

11. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Anyone had experience with the SteelSeries Arctis 7 and Logitech G533?

Tossing up between them for gaming and don't know which one to choose.

Was considering the Astros A50's but unsure if they are worth the extra cash.

12. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Asks for help, then is sarcastic when someone says it isn't possible. Nice.

Forget wireless and 7.1. Buy a normal set of Audio Technica or Beyerdynamic and find a second hand ModMic to clip on... ?

13. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Just throwing my 2c in to the mix re:headphones / "gaming headphones"...

In the beginning of my "gaming" career i tried and used many many many different types of "surround gaming" headphones...5.1 / 7.1 etc etc.. and because I didnt know any better i thought the sound quality was great, BUT then my Logitech set with the fake leather on the ear pieces started flaking off and leaving me with black crap all around my ears! Someone suggested to try a set of "real" headphones..kinda like the ones the ones "audiophiles" use to listen to music. SO I went to Store DJ and grabbed a set of closed headphones and noticed a real step up in audio quality but not the big leap forward I was hoping for. Someone here gave me some advise to try a set of "open" headphones so i took the ones back to Store DJ and they kindly swapped them for a set of AKG K612Pro open headphones and a headphone amp to drive them better. WOW!! Positional sounds in game were a giant leap forward...games like BF4 i can hear exactly where the enemy are whether above or below, how far away they are..its almost like having x-ray vision and I have been called a cheat numerous times because of it. Do yourselves a favour, pick up a set of open headphones and you will not regret it. They may cost a bit more but they will outlast the cheap "gaming" ones by far.

Dont forget..these are best used with a decent sound card and/or amp.

I have these ones:- https://www.storedj.com.au/akg-k612-pro-reference-studio-headphones

I have read that these Audiotechnica ones WITH microphone are quite good :-
    https://ebgames.com.au/pc-205180-Audio-Technica-ATH-PDG1-Headset-PC

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  14. connico

connico Member

Caution regarding open back headphones. Yes they sound more natural and have much better aural qualities. But they leak sound like a sieve. Open back headphones are made for discreet and private environment. Don't be that guy on the train... :p

15. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

As a rule I don't take my PC and 27" monitor on to the train.

16. connico

connico Member

...don't be that room mate or partner... or that guy on the train... in any place...

17. Zodiac87

Zodiac87 Member

Yeah my HD600's are super open. Can hear them from a mile away.

In other news I bought some Etymotic MK5'. Favourable reviews compared to the hf5's and pretty cheap to boot!

18. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

I was considering getting a pair of open backs, because people say they are much better in regards to sound stage, but its just not practical for my situation.

Ended up getting the Arctis 7's.
    I am no audiophile, but they sound pretty great for gaming.
    I took Reddit's advice and didnt install the SteelSeries software. I just third party EQ software as the SS software apparently makes them sound aweful.

Super comfy (if a little shallow) and wireless connection is rock solid. Unlike my old Logitech G930's.

19. Rod911

Rod911 Member

I prefer IEMs over the big headphones. I wanted to try some cheap bluetooth IEMs so went with QCY QY8. Sound was good and so was the battery life (around 3 hours before recharge), but I accidentally stepped on them. So I went back to my radius HP-TWF11 set whilst looking for a cheap alternative. My search led me to the KZ ZS6 and using some cheap foam tips. All up, the KZ ZS6 setup cost me around AU$50 and this includes an upgrade bluetooth cable that I have yet to receive.

A lot of the reviews of the KZ ZS6 state that they found the sibilance (highs/treble) to be slightly out of whack, but I haven't noticed it with the music I listen to. Compared to my radius, the KZ has a more balanced sound as the radius tended to be a bit more bass heavy. Overall, I couldn't really fault the cheaper KZ set. Definitely recommended!

Admittedly, I do miss using my Beyerdynamic DT250, but I need to replace the chord as the left side works intermittently - on a side note, does anyone know where I can get cheap replacements (less than $AU20)?

20. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Audio Technica LS-70is any good?