Headphone/Earphone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. connico

connico Member

Caution regarding open back headphones. Yes they sound more natural and have much better aural qualities. But they leak sound like a sieve. Open back headphones are made for discreet and private environment. Don't be that guy on the train... :p

2. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

As a rule I don't take my PC and 27" monitor on to the train.

3. connico

connico Member

...don't be that room mate or partner... or that guy on the train... in any place...

4. Zodiac87

Zodiac87 Member

Yeah my HD600's are super open. Can hear them from a mile away.

In other news I bought some Etymotic MK5'. Favourable reviews compared to the hf5's and pretty cheap to boot!

5. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

I was considering getting a pair of open backs, because people say they are much better in regards to sound stage, but its just not practical for my situation.

Ended up getting the Arctis 7's.
    I am no audiophile, but they sound pretty great for gaming.
    I took Reddit's advice and didnt install the SteelSeries software. I just third party EQ software as the SS software apparently makes them sound aweful.

Super comfy (if a little shallow) and wireless connection is rock solid. Unlike my old Logitech G930's.

6. Rod911

Rod911 Member

I prefer IEMs over the big headphones. I wanted to try some cheap bluetooth IEMs so went with QCY QY8. Sound was good and so was the battery life (around 3 hours before recharge), but I accidentally stepped on them. So I went back to my radius HP-TWF11 set whilst looking for a cheap alternative. My search led me to the KZ ZS6 and using some cheap foam tips. All up, the KZ ZS6 setup cost me around AU$50 and this includes an upgrade bluetooth cable that I have yet to receive.

A lot of the reviews of the KZ ZS6 state that they found the sibilance (highs/treble) to be slightly out of whack, but I haven't noticed it with the music I listen to. Compared to my radius, the KZ has a more balanced sound as the radius tended to be a bit more bass heavy. Overall, I couldn't really fault the cheaper KZ set. Definitely recommended!

Admittedly, I do miss using my Beyerdynamic DT250, but I need to replace the chord as the left side works intermittently - on a side note, does anyone know where I can get cheap replacements (less than $AU20)?

7. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Audio Technica LS-70is any good?

8. connico

connico Member

Good but i didn't find them comfortable... sound has been tuned to be very true sound. The reason for this is that the plugs are apart of the Live Sound range.

9. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Thanks, My dad got them for me from Singapore as they were $70 cheaper than online here in Melbourne Australia

10. connico

connico Member

A mate of mine took them off my hands and he found them uncomfortable as well. But he has since replaced the tips with Comfy Form which has improved there performance as well as comfort

11. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Tried medium sized double flanged tips before?

12. riccoo

riccoo Member

Hey Gents, so I am in the process of trying to figure out what headphones I want to get next, been using a set of V1 Razer Tiamats 7.1 (mainly in stereo as they lose to much bass when in 7.1) since they dropped in 2013, they sound great but I am over them now, they are uncomfortable and just plain boring now

I want something that is either wired or wireless (no rgb lol) has some good bass and highs and is comfy for 4+ hours of gaming, they don't need to have a mic as I have an external mic anyways, but if they have one then all good.

Please help a lost soul find his new headphones

what I am currently looking at

HyperX Cloud Revolver S
    HyperX Cloud Alpha Pro
    Cooler master MH750
    SteelSeries Arctis 7 Wireless
    Razer Thresher Ultimate 7.1 Wireless
    SteelSeries Siberia 800 Wireless
    Creative Sound BlasterX H7 HD 7.1

as you can see my list is pretty big and I can not make up my mind :(

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  13. eastley

eastley Member

None of those.

Get a regular set of cans, better sound quality etc..

What is your budget?

14. jpw007

jpw007 Member

With Mic - Audiotechnica ADG1X. http://headphones.com.au/product/audio-technica-ath-adg1x/

Without Mic, AD900X. http://headphones.com.au/product/audio-technica-ath-ad900x-headphones/

If you prefer closed, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's. http://headphones.com.au/product/beyerdynamic-custom-one-pro-plus-headphone/

All 3 are effing amazing. I have had AD900's, and currently have the ADG1X & Custom One Pro's. Would recommend either AD900X or One Pro's easily. (i just don't like the volume adjuster on the ADG1X which is why i go the 900's instead). The One Pro's have more prominent bass of the two.

15. riccoo

riccoo Member

anything around $300 mark, with a reg set of cans will I need to run a dac as well?

do these need a dac ? I use onbaord sound card but could possibly get a dac as well if needed? then the question is what dac lol

16. connico

connico Member

no requirement for a DAC, but would benefit from a DAC definitely :p...

If you get them and they don't have enough oophmmm then get a DAC...

Can't fault any of the above mentioned... all should fall in to your budget range

17. riccoo

riccoo Member

I think
    I will get these Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's

18. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Great choice!

As mention, no don't require them as they're easy to drive headphones :)

19. riccoo

riccoo Member

santa is bringing them for me for xmas :)

20. riccoo

riccoo Member